Where do you keep your tractor?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are you lucky enough to be able to keep your tractor indoors ....or do you leave it outside?

Also, do you think it makes a difference for tractor operation keeping it indoors or outdoors?

Tractors have been kept in the field for years. Aren't they made to withstand the weather? Tractor dealers always keep them outside also. So it is just a nicety to keep them inside ...or maybe a theft deterrent ...but not needed for dependable tractor operation?

B

bczoom

I keep my tractor and all other equipment that has moving parts indoors. The box blade, scraper blade and a couple other implements are left outdoors (due to lack of space).

I don't like the idea of keeping them outdoors given a choice. Being exposed to the elements just makes things worse. More rust, windblown debris (small particles)... make maintenance as well as preventative maintenance more demanding. You also have a greater chance of varmints moving in (mice, rats...) and doing damage.

Tractors that have been left in the fields for years were also made of some decent steel. The seats were always ruined but the rest of the tractors could generally handle it (again, with maintenance). I don't know if the newer tractors could withstand those same conditions. More plastic that may crack, more electrical and electronic components exposure... I guess time will tell.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I keep my tractor and all other equipment that has moving parts indoors. The box blade, scraper blade and a couple other implements are left outdoors (due to lack of space).

I don't like the idea of keeping them outdoors given a choice. Being exposed to the elements just makes things worse. More rust, windblown debris (small particles)... make maintenance as well as preventative maintenance more demanding. You also have a greater chance of varmints moving in (mice, rats...) and doing damage.

Tractors that have been left in the fields for years were also made of some decent steel. The seats were always ruined but the rest of the tractors could generally handle it (again, with maintenance). I don't know if the newer tractors could withstand those same conditions. More plastic that may crack, more electrical and electronic components exposure... I guess time will tell.

Ditto ............. The barn were it spose to be ............:D

Av8r3400

My L3400 lives next to my '94 Ram/Cummins along with lots of other junk in my 42 x 63 poll barn.

My wish is to someday put a concrete floor down in (at least some of) it. :eek:

B

bczoom

Off subject for a moment...

My wish is to someday put a concrete floor down in (at least some of) it. :eek:
Is your building otherwise enclosed (walls, doors and such)?

Not sure what you have now for a floor but I'd really push for getting concrete in there. My building was enclosed but had dirt for a couple years. The humidity build-up, mold growing on floor... I think was actually worse then keeping things outside in many ways. "Stuff" was rusting very quickly since there was plenty of moisture but little air movement.

[/end off-subject]

Mith

I keep as much as I can in the shed. Some lives in a lean-to type thing.

I prefer to keep stuff under cover, the stuff you sit on atleast. Its nice to jump on it and not have wet seat and controls.

Contrary to what you would think, it doesnt actually rain too much here, and I dont really have a problem with leaving stuff out. They put a nice hood over all the engine and electrical, just to keep rain off :D

Av8r3400

bc-

Yes, the building is completely enclosed with a 12 x 12 overhead door and a 36" service door. The floor is "road base" as of right now.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I also keep mine inside my 28 x 70 pole building. The building was put up with boats in mind, but my tractor and most implements fit in there also. I've had to boot out a couple of utility trailers to make room ... but it works for now.

It had a plain ole dirt floor in it for 3 years or so. No issues like BC mentioned. I did cover the dirt underneath the boats with a thick plastic. Then about 4 years ago I put some crush and run gravel down primarily to control the dust. It was a cheap alternative to concrete. I would also like to concrete the floor someday, but I do not have the humidity or mold build up like BC mentioned. Might be because mine is not air tight. :confused:
I have seen an occasional weed grow up out of the floor ... but I haven't noticed any of them for a couple of years now.

buckle97

I keep my tractor in an old barn with walls surrounding about three-quarters of it. I basically took out one of the stalls and put Hardi board up. I built a big door on one end out of Hardi and just drive the tractor right in. You can see the rear tire exposed in the photo below. I didn't put Hardi across the whole front because I didn't want to cut off all of the air circulation.

Attachments

• P1010099 (Medium).jpg
    P1010099 (Medium).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 33

DAP

I recently had a lean-to built and attached to the end of my 20x36 horse barn. It's made out of home milled hemlock and pine with an aluminum roof.

Handier than a shirt pocket (as it was said) ...

I have to fight on a daily basis to keep the tractor in and the CEO's stuff out.

Thats 6x6 hemlock posts with rough cut hemlock or pine clapboards. Hemlock sill sitting on PT 4x4 into concrete footings from the Orange box store (the beveled kind thar are supposed to be heave resistent).

Had 2 bird and 1 mouse nest in there before it was even done.

:hangingclothes:

Attachments

• P0004324.jpg
    P0004324.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P0004323.jpg
    P0004323.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P0004334.jpg
    P0004334.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • P0004300.jpg
    P0004300.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 29

Mith

Doug, was some of that boarding seasoned before you put it up, it looks real good, like it been there for ages, wood is a nice colour. Nice job.

DAP

Doug, was some of that boarding seasoned before you put it up, it looks real good, like it been there for ages, wood is a nice colour. Nice job.

A few of the boards and most of the 6x6s spent the winter outside. Hemlock has a very high moisture content when milled and it takes a year for it to dry down and gray out ...

I' have never been a fan of painting board fencing ...

lb59

I've got 10 stalls in 2 pole buildings .
I have 5 tractors and 4 pick up trucks in them.
I keep 2 or 3 yards of dirt in the 10 th one.

I put my 1966 Bolens inside in 1966.
41 years later it's still there.

Anyone else got me beat on the 41 years ?

I also keep mine inside my 28 x 70 pole building. The building was put up with boats in mind, but my tractor and most implements fit in there also. I've had to boot out a couple of utility trailers to make room ... but it works for now.

It had a plain ole dirt floor in it for 3 years or so. No issues like BC mentioned. I did cover the dirt underneath the boats with a thick plastic. Then about 4 years ago I put some crush and run gravel down primarily to control the dust. It was a cheap alternative to concrete. I would also like to concrete the floor someday, but I do not have the humidity or mold build up like BC mentioned. Might be because mine is not air tight. :confused:
I have seen an occasional weed grow up out of the floor ... but I haven't noticed any of them for a couple of years now.

These floors are dirt cheap.

Do you put a litte heater in there to keep it warm too? :moon3:
I did in mine.
AC is next.

I've got 10 stalls in 2 pole buildings .
I have 5 tractors and 4 pick up trucks in them.

PS
Make that 4 tractors.
Sold the PowrKraft a couple a days ago.