Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM

stokesdale is on a distinguished road
Default 2 wheel drive or 4

Hey Yall, I am currently looking for a compact with a loader bucket. First salesman quoted me a price on a Workmaster 45 with 2 wheel drive. Second guy says I will not be happy with loader and 2 wheel drive. Makes sense to me but wanted to get some educated imput. Thanks Clif
Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hi Stokesdale, welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us.

The 2nd guy was right on. I've had both 2 wheel drive and 4 wd. I would own nothing but 4wd. It makes such a difference. And it gives a compact tractor the power to do work that a larger 2wd tractor cannot do. 4wd is what made the compact tractor so popular. IMHO.

And, you are sure on the right track getting a Loader with your tractor. Is that loader ever useful in ways you can not imagine right up front. When I was shopping I was considering waiting to get the loader later; wiser experienced tractor guys chimed in and said get it now. You will be so glad you did and you will thank us for sure. They were right. I had to use the budget stretcher to get the size tractor I wanted and a loader but that was sure the right choice.

Good luck in your shopping. Sit in as many seats and operate as many different models as you can. You will find one that feels better than the others to you. That same advice was given to me and again, I'm passing it on as it is the best advice a tractor shopper can get.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM

stokesdale is on a distinguished road

Thanks Doc, I appreciate your reply. The 4 wheel drive I looked at is 38 hp, a small drop from 45 but I only have 2 1/2 acres with a 50yd. by 50 yd. garden spot so I am leaning toward the 4wd.
The Following User Says Thank You to stokesdale For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

I do think you'll be glad you went 4wd.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Welcome to the forum.

I'm with Doc. Go with the 4WD.

There is no way I could rototill my garden in 2WD.

Not sure where you are weather wise but if it goes below freezing, 4WD may be required just to get around.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM

kenwill is on a distinguished road

I had a Ford 640 (2 wheel drive) with loader and I was always struggling, especially when moving snow, etc. A couple of years ago I bought a NH Boomer TC40 4 wheel drive with hydrostatic transmission------VERY happy with it. I was able to put an 8ft. snow bucket on it and it handles it well. I definitely recommend 4 wheel drive!

Ken
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM

GreenWannabe is on a distinguished road

I only have a few hours experience with my Kioti DK45SE, a 45 hp tractor with 36 PTO hp. I have a loader, and run R-1 loaded ag tires. In 2 WD, I would sometimes just sit there and spin the rear tires. In 4 WD, I just walked the trees I was pulling right out. For my use on 12 acres, I consider 4 wd to be indispensable.

While you are shopping, have them install at least two rear hydraulic remotes. I have top and tilt cylinders, makes changing implement attitude on the fly a breeze since I don't have to stop to make adjustments to the top link or the side link. I also recommend a quick hitch, which really helps changing implements. And I further recommend a skid steer quick attach on the loader, you have such a variety of buckets/grapples/etc. available with skid steer attaching plates over any kind of proprietary attachment method.

Good luck with your shopping.

Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenWannabe For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWannabe View Post
While you are shopping, have them install at least two rear hydraulic remotes. I have top and tilt cylinders, makes changing implement attitude on the fly a breeze since I don't have to stop to make adjustments to the top link or the side link. I also recommend a quick hitch, which really helps changing implements. And I further recommend a skid steer quick attach on the loader, you have such a variety of buckets/grapples/etc. available with skid steer attaching plates over any kind of proprietary attachment method.
Dang Fred. You're good at spending OPM (Other People's Money). I wish I had all that stuff.

I was just going to recommend getting the rear tires filled with RimGuard.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 PM

urednecku is on a distinguished road

Doc & Greenwannabe were right on. You would not like life with a loader & 2wd. A load on the front, it takes the weight off the rear, no traction on the rear means no movement, especially uphill, no brakes, in short NO CONTROL.
& like Green said there is too many toys available with the skidsteer quick attach not to get that, too.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 AM

GreenWannabe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
Dang Fred. You're good at spending OPM (Other People's Money). I wish I had all that stuff.

I was just going to recommend getting the rear tires filled with RimGuard.
Well, my tractor came with one rear remote standard and a free loader equipped with a skid steer quick connect. The second remote, quick hitch, and top and tilt cylinders were not that much more money. Since I had budgeted for a loader, I felt like I could set it up right the first time.

But now I want more rear remotes for a hydraulic blade, and a third function and grapple for the loader. And no more budget!

Fred
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Kanook has a spectacular aura aboutKanook has a spectacular aura about

Compact Tractor with FEL and no 4 wheel drive....Like trying to push snow with a 2 WD pick-up with a plow on front with no ballast in the box and equipped with bald summer tires.....Don't waste your time.....and $$$$.