Kubota RTV 900 transmission problem - hardley moves in gear!

PACKASAURAS

I signed in at the Messicks site and looked at the blow up of the transmission. It looks like that plate is $35.00 and the diagram is really good if you enlarge it with the scroll button. I just looked at the one thing for an idea but there are several plates behind that steel vertical piece. Great job ! bordercollie

What are the actual name for plates?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I will send you a pm with the link asap. I will just be guessing on the model/serial # though , but this will give you a general idea- some transmissions changed a little bit as they were trying to "fix" problems on the fly . collie
edit: it's called a valve plate

edit: for others This will get you to the Messicks site . messicks.com/wiki/kubota/rtv900 and when there , you will be on frequently used parts. Change to * parts diagrams* from the header. choose your year model. You will see more frequently used parts ... but on the left side, a list of different areas of the machine... choose the one you are interested in and click on it . I chose transmission and then a sub menu appears ,.. click on that.
You will need to sing in with email and make a password to view the diagrams but it is all legitimate and safe - just a requirement of kubota headquarters.

Last edited:

PACKASAURAS

I will send you a pm with the link asap. I will just be guessing on the serial # though , but this will give you a general idea- some transmissions changed a little bit as they were trying to "fix" problems on the fly . collie

Send me a pm, I can supply you with the serial number!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've already sent the link. Uh oh..
the serial number will be needed when you talk to the parts guy. main thing is the year and model such as general purpose, work site etc.. the general purpose doesn't have a hyd lift - I believe. I have a work site with the hyd dump.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hope it works out great for you and if you need any confirmations on the parts, the messicks parts counter has nice folks. God bless ya . :tiphat: collie

PACKASAURAS

I hope it works out great for you and if you need any confirmations on the parts, the messicks parts counter has nice folks. God bless ya . :tiphat: collie

They called and told me they had a kit for cheaper, so I went with that. We just put the transmission back together and currently working on putting everything back together. Now on the the tires and rims, and seat. A good place to find the tires and rims and a seat at a decent price?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The seats are all extreme from what I have found. A bottom and back set for mine even on ebay is from $250- 300.
The early models had a piece of plywood for the base .. The 2011 has a piece of plastic and has held up ok strength wise but the vinly on the edge of the seat where I sit looks bad but for $250.00 it will just have to look bad. I may see what a small business upholstery fellow will charge just for the bottom when I go to his town someday. The vinyl would need to be well heated to form all those curves nicely..
Thee are several places with tires and rims just mentioned in a recent thread http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17185 posted this past week . I also like Robin at allterrain but there are a lot of good places like that thread talks about. good luck, bordercollie

PACKASAURAS

I haven't posted in updates in while so I figured I could at least hop back on here and let you guys know what happened and whats going on now.

First of all it was the plate valves! But due to an error with us putting them in the wrong way (at least we think) we blew the pistons. So we replaced the plate valves and the pistons, and then put the oil we tried saving back in it. Still wouldnt run. We had water in our oil, so after replacing the oil it still wouldn't run. We opened it back up, didn't see anything wrong with it so we said, screw it we are tired of working on it so we took it to the local kubota shop. Sit there for 2 weeks before they got to it. The mechanic said he opened it up and it all looked good, put it back together and then drained it again and put new oil in it. Said it ran just fine. So we paid $400 to here that but the good news is she is RUNNING and has been for a few weeks now. Cost me about $1500 after it was all said and done but in the end it was worth it! Please keep in mind I kept having to buy oil, etc.. so there was a bit of wasted money into it but it is running perfectly. Just put 4 new tires and 2 new rims on it. IF anyone else has this issue, I hope this helps you. Check plate valves!

P.S: Mechanic said it was most likely vapor locked.

Hope I could help someone and again thanks for all your help guys! It was awesome and allowed us to track down the issue! Keep being awesome everyone! I would also like to thank everyone for introducing me to Messicks! Saved me a ton of money instead of going to my local shop to buy parts! IT was a big help!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for giving us an update on this Pack. Glad you got her fixed and back on the road. Good job!!!! :tiphat: :thumb: :clap:

Dvaepat4

Kubota RTV 900 - Tranmission issue - moves very slowly

Hi there, I am new to this group and hope this approach to my problem is acceptable (if not please point me in the right direction!!). I have followed this thread and it sounds very similar to my problem. Engine is running fine, gears are selecting fine, however I can sit in gear with high revs for sometime before it decides to move....very slowly!! Any slight incline will stop the machine! Its a 2005 model which I bought recently - It came from a fruit farm, has 3700hrs on it and suspect it has had a hard life - saying that it is presentable in appearance! I have stripped the rear transmission box (will try post photos) however there was no debris in oil or plug when drained, all replaceable plates look relatively clean with no major wear or scoring. Is it worth changing these plates as per the conclusion on this thread earlier or is it perhaps something else, more significant? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• WP_20180302_22_00_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_22_00_32_Pro.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 128
  • WP_20180302_21_50_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_50_31_Pro.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 124
  • WP_20180302_21_50_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_50_57_Pro.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 121
  • WP_20180302_21_52_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_52_22_Pro.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 120
  • WP_20180302_21_52_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_52_51_Pro.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 120
  • WP_20180302_21_54_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_54_01_Pro.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 120
  • WP_20180302_21_56_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_56_03_Pro.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 121
  • WP_20180302_21_58_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180302_21_58_22_Pro.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 129

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
since you already have it torn down i would go ahead and replace the plates,especially since it has that many hours on it. you should also replace the charge pump while you are there. probably just to many internal leaks to keep the charge pressure up. fix it and it will be good as new

Dvaepat4

Thanks for your response. I notice on an earlier post that there are three swash plates, however I have only exposed one. Do I need to strip deeper than what can be seen? I'm not experienced in these machines and am weary of going to far with little knowledge!! The swash plate that i can see was removed and it is solid (doesnt flex like worn one on youtube video). Where is the charge pump located? Could it be due to old oil viscosity, filters etc just needing changed? Many thanks, Dave

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Dave i think it would be good for you to reach out to some of the others who have done this to their machines. you might want to search for threads about swash plates and PM the ones who did it themselves. including the ones on this thread. Messiks has an online parts book that has exploded views so that can be handy too. also might be a good idea to get a servive manual,try ebay. one thing i can remember from others is to be careful to put all of the little springs and things back in their proper place when reassembling. others have used a stiff grease packing to hold them until the covers can be placed. also use plenty of assembly lube when reassembly.

Dvaepat4

Thanks for links. Exploded diagrams are very useful too. I have taken the rear "suction filter off" and found some debris in it (guaze or similar), not much. Looking inside it it looks quite dirty. No idea when it was last changed. Oil looks clean enough following draining. I am wondering if filter is chocked and starving pump of hyd fluid/oil? Tempted to reasemble so full filter and oil change and see if it works?? What are peoples thoughts - worth a go? If it doesn't work I trust i can collect new oil and reuse again therefore nothing to loose but a couple of hours labour? One thing i am keen to learn is that is there an alignment setting for the shaft exposed? Looking through i can see a series/sequence of holes....does this need to bet set before refitting casing? Many thanks, Dave