New distributor, timing set but no power

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You might remember I had a problem with my old truck last week. We replaced the distributor and fixed the problem. Set the timing twice but the truck does not seem to have the power it used to. Especially when we use it to pull a trailer. Any other tips besides check the timing again?

Lack of power...possible choices...

Plugged cat/cats
Weak/inconsistent fuel pressure (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator)
Failing throttle position sensor
Clogged injectors

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got a tip that there is a wire you have to remove when setting timing or else the timing is off. I hope that is the problem.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, you have the worst cast of "BAD TRUCK" I've ever seen. The only cure is to give it to me. I'll come for it Saturday and haul it off for you! :hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Gee thanks Jim. You'd do that for me. Ahhhh how nice. :D

These problems have made me consider upgrading to a newer truck earlier than I had planned. But I have faith we'll get past this issue ...which is a continuation of my original issue. If not I'll let you know which cliff I push it over so you can recover it. :D :hide:
(did I say that out loud?) :hide2:

Railroad tracks...

King of the Hill
Season 5: 2000-2001
Episode 93 "Chasing Bobby" Airing Date 21JAN01 --- Bobby finally convinces Hank to buy a new truck when his old one dies.

irwin

I got a tip that there is a wire you have to remove when setting timing or else the timing is off. I hope that is the problem.

Yep, can't remember where it is, or if is a two wire connector you jumper together. but I think it's back by the distributor/coil area. It could be connected to a plastic cap.

Good luck