ZTR air pressure

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've noticed that at times I cannot turn with my ZTR without leaving a mark on the yard. Even turning slowly. Later I figured out it was due to low air pressure. Once I pumped up the tires that took care of the problem.
I'm running turf tires on my zero turn, so I am surprised that low air pressure would cause the ZTR tires to spin ever so slightly as to leave a mark on the lawn.
Has anyone else noticed the same with their zero turn?
What air pressure do you normally run in your rear tires on your ztr?

Mith

Doc, I would assume that with higer pressure, the contact patch is reduced due to the tyre rounding up, so it scuffs less.
Let air out = larger contact = more traction but more scuffing.
Dont have alot of experience with ZTRs though

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From my experience you are right on Mith. That is exactly how mine reacted.

What air pressure do you run in your tractors rear tires?

Mith

Doc, do you know what the actual pressure you are running is?

Run the rears on the tractor about 2-4psi, a little more in summer. With the duals the weight is really spread out. I did run them a little lower when it was really muddy last year, but the bead kept popping off. What an absolute pain trying to reseat them again.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am running 18 to 20 psi right now. Makes for a little bumpier ride, but it does not tear up the grass.

Mith

Thats some pretty high pressures. Often the max pressure on L&G tyres is about 15psi.

I have heard of people doing 3 point turns on ZTRs to avoid marking, but that kinda negates the whole point of a ZTR.

B

bczoom

I've noticed that at times I cannot turn with my ZTR without leaving a mark on the yard. Even turning slowly. Later I figured out it was due to low air pressure. Once I pumped up the tires that took care of the problem.
I'm running turf tires on my zero turn, so I am surprised that low air pressure would cause the ZTR tires to spin ever so slightly as to leave a mark on the lawn.
Has anyone else noticed the same with their zero turn?
What air pressure do you normally run in your rear tires on your ztr?
I honestly don't know what the pressure is in mine.

My tires are pretty wide. I think they're 25x12x12. If I pivot on a tire, it'll leave a mark.

I always make it a point to assure the tire is moving when rotating.

The heck with a 3-point turn. To turn around, just have one tire going forward and the other backward at approx. the same speed.

buckle97

I would love to answer the question of tire pressure, but reading this thread reminded me I haven't ever checked the tire pressure in my ZTR :poster_oops: As a half-excuse I will say that I have only owned my ZTR since December and my wife does most of the mowing.
I run 15 PSI in the rear tires of my L3830 and it seems like a good fit.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Don't feel bad, this is the 3rd year with our zero turn and this is the first time I added air. They looked fine, but obviously needed a little air. More air sure fixed the scuffing issue. :thumb:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: Exactly. ....I know better, but still didn't do the check. I'll try to check em at least at the begining of the season from here on out. :eek:

PBinWA

Don't worry Doc - I couldn't tell you the pressure in the tires of my stuff. I just kick 'em every once in a while and if they seem low they get some air. I think I like 'em on the "hard" side and that's about as precise as I get. ;)

grandpa

My Toro ZTR calls for 13 psi on both front and back tires, kind of weird. I find that I only scuff the yard up when I forget to slow down on sharp turns or when I circle a tree too fast. Most of my yard is blow sand, so it is not hard to scuff.