High Air Intake-bordercollie version

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is the extension for my air intake on the 2011 RTV900 XT. I used 2" pipe/tubing. On the '05 model using the same method, I had used black pvc 1 1/2" drain pipe because of the tight fit between the bed and cab. I had no ill effects but was concerned about the limited air intake through the 1 1/2 " for such a distance- although the oem rubber hose was also 1 1/2". Anyway I went with the 2" on my new machine. This was a good fit because of the factory notch in the black plastic body frame where the pipe would go. However, because of the cage angle ,the $15 black pvc pipe I bought at lowes wouldn't fit without a bend. I did this instead. I had a 1 1/2" 90 degree black pvc L that I used to turn the oem 1 1/2 " hose up ,then I used a 1 1/2" to 2" rubber connector by inserting a short piece of 1 1/2" pvc drain pipe in each of the 1 1/2" ends to make the connection since that was what I had to work with. Then I went out with the 2" rubber end to a piece of thick ribbed heavy but flexible plastic hose. This hose came off of a nurse trailer used on the farm. I found this hose 10 years ago laying in the road! (I think it is sold by the foot at most real tractor dealerships with sprayer parts. ) I had to shave off some of the outside edges of it on the bench grinder so the 2" (90) degree pvc "cover" would make the fit at the top. I then inserted an angled piece of the 2" black pvc pipe at the top up under the roof to make it harder for things to get sucked into the pipe. This is held in place temporally with cable ties to see how it works. I pulled it in at the bottom with a cable tie also. You can see by the picture how dusty it is. The oem set up would have already toasted the air filter by now. If it works as planned, I will run a bead of sealant around the weak point- where the corrugated pipe and rubber connector come together should any water try to get in there. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3672.JPG
    DSCF3672.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF3674.JPG
    DSCF3674.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 606
  • DSCF3675.JPG
    DSCF3675.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
SUPER !!!!! SUPER !!!! SUPER !!!!!

THAT THERE IS PERFECT.

That is a perfect example. Bordercollie, my hat goes off to you !!!!

Now, other members that DON'T have some sort of high rise. Take a look at bordercollies
canister. See the dirt / dust sitting on the canister.... that would be in the filter if the suction port was not moved
upward. This is perfect example of a RTV using their thinking cap.

>>>> THANK YOU SO MUCH BORDERCOLLIE FOR SHARING THIS !!!!

Attachments

• Darth Smiley.gif
    Darth Smiley.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 585

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
And a lot cheaper than 260.00 for the oem. I still feel so stuped

Markc,
Where are you from ? Check on here before you make a big investment into Kubota Corp...

Few years ago, give $ 155.00 for mine. The going rate now is 180 $ ....

What else do you need for your machine ? Maybe I ( we ) can save U $ >>>>

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Great job Bordercollie! You may have convinced me to go with the snorkle attached to the original supplied air filter. I consider your experience with you '05 and the filter extension to be a complete success that supports saving that $188.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
bordercollie,
Why don't you start making the kits, and selling them.

As many folks that want them, you could do yourself and other owners a favor.

Make money while saving other RTV owners $$$ ...

I will even make you a logo for your new company, at no charge of course !!!!
We could do something like:
Snorkles From The South

Air From Above

Clean Air From Bordercollie

Elite Air

..... come on other members, help me think !!!!

Attachments

• Lizard Soldier.gif
    Lizard Soldier.gif
    105.2 KB · Views: 593

markc

Markc,
Where are you from ? Check on here before you make a big investment into Kubota Corp...

Few years ago, give $ 155.00 for mine. The going rate now is 180 $ ....

What else do you need for your machine ? Maybe I ( we ) can save U $ >>>>

i have the 1140.it only came with the tubing and a plastic cap which is already broken off u use the factory filter ans housing just turn it 180 degree.

vintovka

I added a piece of that black plastic gutter guard to screen my intakes. It has about a 3/8" grid pattern. I found if you trace the outside of a 1.5" fitting onto the guard material cut it out carefully, the circular piece can be popped in the fitting in a dome shape. A little abs glue will insure little fingers don't remove it to insert their favorite chilean miner legos!!

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I added a piece of that black plastic gutter guard to screen my intakes. It has about a 3/8" grid pattern. I found if you trace the outside of a 1.5" fitting onto the guard material cut it out carefully, the circular piece can be popped in the fitting in a dome shape. A little abs glue will insure little fingers don't remove it to insert their favorite chilean miner legos!!

That is a great idea, I'm going to look into that !!!
Thanks much !!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the comments. It was cheap to make too. I'd say less than $25 for what I actually used. Estimate: $4 per ft for the "hose" pipe if it was bought, $5 for the 1 1/2 to 2 " coupling, assorted black drainage pipe 90 degree pieces $2.50 each , short pieces of pipe for joints and cap angle and black paint.The hose/pipe I used was similar to this hose called 2" helix suction hose - by looks anyway- but I'm not positive its the same thing. It is at agri supply for less than $4 a foot.http://www.agrisupply.com/-heli-suction-hose/p/18427/cn/4200022/ A heavy vacuum hose might work too- I have seen those at Lowes.
I saved a ton of money on air filters on the '05 with that set up. I did remove it and put back on the oem for selling it though. I will have the stack in the cargo bed if the buyer wants it . Good luck, bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i second the idea of makin a kit.thats a good job you done there i can't see why bota wants so much for thier kits. when i wanted to snorkel my rhino i bought a bayou snorkels kit for 180.00 they said it was a simple bolt right on fit. when i got the kit in it was far brom a bolt on kit nuthin seemed to fit so i took it back and showed the guy at the atv shop how it was fitting he said it must have been the wrong kit so he had them send out another kit .this one was the same as the other so i returned it and swapped it out for two new front tires for the rhino and went to lowes. it cost me under 50.00 dollars to make the snorkel.

vintovka

Don't forget making KITS was my idea in the first place. I like your use of the flex hose but always wondered if the corregated sides don't have some effect on airflow. Im an retired RCE and know zip about airflow dynamics. Am Familiar with laminar water flow over a smooth surface and effect of rough surfaces and sharp edge inlets. Just curious not critical.
If anyone knows learn me up!!

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the hose should be good to go because alot of people go and buy shop vac hose to run snorkels with because it's really flexable. they never had any problems with them so i can't see this design havin any ill affects.

Heatwave

Don't forget making KITS was my idea in the first place. I like your use of the flex hose but always wondered if the corregated sides don't have some effect on airflow. Im an retired RCE and know zip about airflow dynamics. Am Familiar with laminar water flow over a smooth surface and effect of rough surfaces and sharp edge inlets. Just curious not critical.
If anyone knows learn me up!!

I know a little about laminar airflow and I feel confident that, at air speeds no higher than will be draw by our engines' intakes, laminar separation will not be a factor.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This hose I used is slick on the inside. It is corrugated on the outside only.I guess so it will flex somewhat . It is thick and heavy duty I cut it with the metal cutting chop saw- a knife would never work. I will post a picture of it tomorrow. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a picture of the stiff hose I used for the air cleaner extension as promised. It is very slightly curved on the interior but mostly smooth. It is thick and very tough. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3707.JPG
    DSCF3707.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCF3708.JPG
    DSCF3708.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 501

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
looks like spa hose thats the best stuff to use.i'll give you a secret in the instalation part . if you need to bend it get a small propane torch and heat it up as you bend it in the curve you need if you heat it up enough and put pressure on it you can almost get a 90 degree curve out of it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea Peanut. I once saw a guy bend some pvc conduit the same way. It saved $ over buying the expensive pvc sweeps too.If I get unhappy with this hose one, I may try the heating on the black drain pipe since I already have it . Thank you. bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
thank you for your post you make some nice how to threads with some good pictures of what it looks like in person.it's alot better than a manual with drawings in it.