2014 1100X shifting problem

semper_fi

I just traded my 2009 1100 up to a 2014 1100X series. I had heard they were experiencing problems with getting the transmission to release from the gear they were in. My dealer assured me that it really wasn't much of a problem and that his shop's pre delivery procedures would fine tune the shifter to get rid of the problem. Kubota even has a sticker under the steering wheel that says if this happens to put even pressure on the shifter while holding down the foot brake for up to two minutes and it should release. 2 minutes?? If I back out of my drive while plowing snow onto the public road and have to wait two minutes for the transmission to pop out of reverse, I just might wind up dead.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

Thanks,
SF :bonk:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't speak for the new ones but on my trusty '04:

When it was new, I applied the Emergency Brake and waited a few seconds. That normally made it where I could then shift.

Once it broke in, I didn't have the problem anymore unless I was trying to shift when it was under extreme pressure (like on a steep hill).

628pm

Site Supporter
I have the new x900, the shifting was a pain at first, but you get use to it. Normally not a problem on level ground. Besides putting your foot on the brake pedal you can turn your steering wheel left and right several times. I have around 65 hours on my rtv now. Haven't seen a big difference on mine from it being new.

Something that has nothing to do with the shifter is the clean out bolt on the muffler. I took that out at the 50 hour service and ran it for about 10 miles. In my opinion it ran better after that.

semper_fi

Thanks, I'll have to try the steering wheel turning with the brake held. But I was really hoping for a enginnering fix. I did notice if I pop the gear shift out of gear just before I stop, it seems to work better. But for the cost of this unit, and this late in the season, they could have come up with a better fix. Mine was just received new from the factory when I got it 2 weeks ago.

SF

poke

Got mine 2 weeks ago too.
The shifting ... stinks .
Turning the engine off releases the shifter.
Putting on the emergency brake, briefly rev engine and letting it settle way back down helps.

1HOTDJ

I had the same issue and I talked with the mechanics at my dealership and they told me to push down hard on the brake and it will release. It worked. They said it would get better in time. They said the machine is very tight and it has to loosen up. Try the brake.