New windshield ordered for RTV1140

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since I had some extra cash I was planning to get a glass windshield for our RTV1140.
So I called the dealership and asked how much a glass windshield for an RTV1140 would cost? $1200+ :eek:

Damn. I had read somewhere (maybe here) that they could be had for $800. Not in my neck of the woods.

So I ordered the plexiglass option. $420. Should be in later this week.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Plexiglass=acrylic or lexan?
My homemade windshield is lexan and after something like 14 years now, it's as clear as can be.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You'll like it Doc. Its tough and no more ice crystals on your nose nor water in your lap ! Good for you !!. I ran over some tough brush this fall and actually broke some of my homemade's bottom clear trim(-just above hood and below the plastic windows) as a stick rammed thru and stopped about 4 inches from my heart. I guess it wasn't my time yet. Be safe out there ya'll. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang BC, that was close. Glad it stopped.

Not sure if you've repaired the broken section but I'll just toss out what I did in that area.

In the area between the hood and windshield, I cut a piece of truck bed mat to fit. The bottom is contoured so it just kind of fits in there with no securing necessary. On the top side, I just drilled a small hole on each side of the mat near the ROPS and use zip-ties to hold it in place. The mat is strong enough where it doesn't rip. If I want more air (like in the summer), I can just cut the zip-ties and pull it out.

A couple pics.

Attachments

• CIMG4985.jpg
    CIMG4985.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 114
  • KuBaby decal location.jpg
    KuBaby decal location.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 117

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hope it's lexan but I thought the Kubota dude just said plexiglass. Hopefully I will find out lexan or acrylic later today. They called and said it is in, so I'll head over and pick it up later today.

Geez Collie, that sounds way to close for comfort. Man, glad you didn't get hurt. :thumb:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Let us know if it's acrylic or Polycarbonate (Lexan).

If acrylic, let us know if they provide cleaning instructions.

If acrylic, I've found Pledge furniture polish will be your friend (and except water, that's about all I'd use). When cleaning, use top-to-bottom strokes. If it does start to get those micro scratches in it, the vertical scratches won't be as bad in the sun as horizontal scratches.

ovrszd

If acrylic, I've found Pledge furniture polish will be your friend (and except water, that's about all I'd use). When cleaning, use top-to-bottom strokes. If it does start to get those micro scratches in it, the vertical scratches won't be as bad in the sun as horizontal scratches.

Yep, used Pledge on Helicopter windshields. You can see the yellow can in this pic. Works pretty good!!!

Attachments

• 115blackhawk pilot.jpg
    115blackhawk pilot.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 112

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I picked up the windshield at my Kubota dealer and I'm surprised to see the windshield is not a Kubota product. It's made by Curtis Industries LLC www.curtiscab.com

The windshield is very clear but I'm still not sure if it is acrylic or Polycarbonate (Lexan). I've searched the web site but it is not the easiest to navigate. Grandkids here today so ....will put the windshield on tomorrow when it's more peaceful. lol

Here is a pic of the box the windshield came in:

Attachments

• Kubota1140Windshiled.jpg
    Kubota1140Windshiled.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 110

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - check your cell phone.

I just e-mailed Curtis (copying you) and will post their reply on what the material is and how to best take care of it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, Curtis mailed me back (below). Cut open the package and tell us what you see.

[FONT=&quot]Our front windshield for the older 1140 was tempered safety glass. Personally I would use a mild dish soap and warm water to clean. [/FONT]

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it sure does say glass. And the windshield is extra thick compared to the plexiglass windshield I had on my RTV900. Woo Hoo ....maybe I got lucky. :D Big Smile. Thanks Brian. :tiphat:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it sure does say glass. And the windshield is extra thick compared to the plexiglass windshield I had on my RTV900. Woo Hoo ....maybe I got lucky. :D Big Smile. Thanks Brian. :tiphat:
Come on Doc, we need to know!!! Tap it on the passenger side with a ball peen hammer and let us know if it cracks (plastic) or shatters (glass)!
It'll be awesome if glass. Pay no attention of the shatter marks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have to head to Cols for an emergency babysitting job tomorrow so ....it will be later Saturday or Sunday till I can do this test. Might be best to drink a few beers first. Will let you know ...or maybe have the mrs. record the test. Yeah, that's the ticket. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well .... I verified it is plexiglass. It bends. It's just under 1/2" thick which is much thicker than the one I had on my RTV900.

Bad news is it does not fit. Enclosed paper says it is for the 900x. Thought maybe they take the same size so no prob. But when set up in place and having the bottom just above the rubber boots on the ROP, the top is two inches above the roll bar. Weird. Even took my make shift top off just to be sure maybe the windshield had to go on first then the top. No way.

So, I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. :(

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Well .... I verified it is plexiglass. It bends. It's just under 1/2" thick which is much thicker than the one I had on my RTV900.

Bad news is it does not fit. Enclosed paper says it is for the 900x. Thought maybe they take the same size so no prob. But when set up in place and having the bottom just above the rubber boots on the ROP, the top is two inches above the roll bar. Weird. Even took my make shift top off just to be sure maybe the windshield had to go on first then the top. No way.

So, I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. :(

You have to be kidding! If you come to cbus regularly try Green and Sons, I-71 south of Columbus, parts guy there is very good and thorough.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you could load it up and take it to a glass shop. have them make you a windshield out of safety glass.:sorry:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When you return this one to the dealer, can you ask about a glass windshield?