4630 steering problem

I have recently purchased a john deere 4630. It seems to be a good one for the money. There is not many leaks which is great, but I took it for a spin and noticed there is hydraulic fluid leaking from the center cap of the steering wheel. The leak is coming from the metering pump seal under the dash so I replaced it. Still leaks. The only thing I know is it had a bucket on it, it has five thousand hours, and fluid leaks from the steering wheel. My question is what would cause this?

jd110

I assume your tractor has the tilt and telescoping wheel? If so, be sure all of the parts in the telescoping wheel is in place. #'s 4 - 13. If any of the thrust bearings or spacers are out of place or missing, the shaft may not stay in proper position in the seal. If all is ok there, make sure the return hose from the metering pump is not restricted. It is connected to the clutch control valve on the left side of the clutch housing. One last thing that can cause problems is the oil cooler relief valve could be stuck, causing too much pressure in the return circuit. The first sign of that is usually blown hoses at the oil cooler though.

Almost forgot, fitting #31 has a check valve in it. I have seen that check valve come apart and block the flow of return oil. You need to disasemble the metering pump to check that.

Attachments

• RP3528_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    RP3528_________UN01JAN94.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 19