HD bucket for ML106 loader

xlr82v2

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a Heavy Duty bucket available for the ML106 loader on the 2615? rback33, since you work for KMW, do you know?

My Dad just got a 2615 about a month ago, and he's already got a minor bend in the bucket from handling some firewood. The construction of the bucket that came on this loader looks to be on the "light duty" side, not nearly as robust as the Buhler - built unit on my 3525. I don't think he would want a bigger bucket, just a beefier one.

Just inquiring...:fishing:

Dougster

Old Member
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a Heavy Duty bucket available for the ML106 loader on the 2615? rback33, since you work for KMW, do you know?

My Dad just got a 2615 about a month ago, and he's already got a minor bend in the bucket from handling some firewood. The construction of the bucket that came on this loader looks to be on the "light duty" side, not nearly as robust as the Buhler - built unit on my 3525. I don't think he would want a bigger bucket, just a beefier one.

I don't think the ML106 offers a skidsteer-type quick attach option... so I'll assume you have pins. Obviously, if you could convert to a skidsteer QA tool carrier, KMW or aftermarket, your choices in buckets would be practically unlimited.

Jeremy clued me in as to how I could get a heavier built KMW QA bucket for my ML112 loader. I got it for a song... and it is built very well... but I made the mistake of going wider. Big mistake on my part for everyday use. As I realized later, if anything I should have gone one size narrower. Eventually, I did so with a massive CAT toothed skidsteer bucket. My ML112 suddenly became an indestructible digging monster! :bb:

But at the end of the day, I've still got my lightweight KMW bucket and something needs to be done with it to make it useful again for other than mulch or loam. That "something" will be considerable steel reinforcements on the bottom, a thicker cutting edge... and the addition of a removable toothbar. :thumb:

Dougster

xlr82v2

Thanks Dougster. The QA option might be a good one for him anyway. Like you said, I'm not sure if it's available... I'll have to look at the Mahindra site. His bucket is 60" wide on the 2615 also, same as my 3525, although he doesn't have the volume that I do. I think going to a 50"-55" bucket would be a good move... I think a 60" bucket on that tractor is about all and maybe a bit more than it really wants when it comes to digging, at least from the little bit that I've played with it so far.

BTW, did you ever get the ":umbrella:wet start" issue figured out on your 4110? Haven't seen you over at the other place in quite a while!

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Thanks Dougster. The QA option might be a good one for him anyway. Like you said, I'm not sure if it's available... I'll have to look at the Mahindra site. His bucket is 60" wide on the 2615 also, same as my 3525, although he doesn't have the volume that I do. I think going to a 50"-55" bucket would be a good move... I think a 60" bucket on that tractor is about all and maybe a bit more than it really wants when it comes to digging, at least from the little bit that I've played with it so far.

BTW, did you ever get the ":umbrella:wet start" issue figured out on your 4110? Haven't seen you over at the other place in quite a while!
I'm sure Jeremy can tell you if KMW makes a skidsteer-type QA tool carrier that will fit your dad's boom and curl cylinders. If not, there are always those adjustable aftermarket ones that might work. You'd have to take measurements to tell for sure. And I understand that he probably doesn't want something so heavy that it starts to affect his lifting capability... but those smaller (60") toothed skidsteer buckets are tough as nails and can be a dream to use... especially if you order one with one or two extra teeth! :thumb:

The problem with the wet (post-pressure wash) starting turned out to be the PTO switch permissive... or at least that's what I think it was. I actually cleaned and adjusted several things at the same time and suddenly no more wet starting problems. I'll never know for 100% sure, but I'd bet it was that loose/dirty PTO switch.

Yeah, I am pretty much through with that "other" site. It had become so overgrown, cumbersome... and downright ugly at times... that it was no longer fun for me. Larry (larryRB) clued me in to this site and the rest is history. This is a FAR better site for friendly, enjoyable tractor-related conversation. :thumb:

Dougster

xlr82v2

Yep, I know exactly what you mean! I found this site last night by checking out Brandi's blog, she's got a link to it in her latest post on the blog. Thanks Brandi! :thumb:

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Yep, I know exactly what you mean! I found this site last night by checking out Brandi's blog, she's got a link to it in her latest post on the blog. Thanks Brandi! :thumb:
Ha!!! :mrgreen: Sounds like Doc owes Brandi more of them there "rep point" thingies... which I confess that I still don't fully understand!

I thought they led to a certificate for a free Starbucks coffee :thumb: ... but it turns out that I was wrong. :(

Dougster

p.s., Brandi's blog is right here for those folks who still don't know: http://bigredbeast.blogspot.com/ -d

PBinWA

The problem with the 2615 is that it's hydraulics aren't really that strong either. If you put a heavier bucket on it then you will loose some lift capacity.

If the dark grey clouds ever go away I'll take some pics of what I've done to my bucket to reinforce the edges. Basically some angle iron along the top lip and some thick flat bar on the sides. But the single best thing I did (and I did this before I welded the extra metal on) was to get a toothbar. Once I had the toothbar on it added just enough ridgidity to make the bucket useful.

With the toothbar I've dug holes in the ground deep enough to bury my tractor. Before the toothbar I bent my bucket a little trying to knudge out an old concreted in footing - fortunately I was able to straighten it out. Since the toothbar I don't think I've bent anything.

xlr82v2

PB,

Yep, I think we've decided that we're going to weld a piece of angle across the top edge... we were also looking at trying to beef up the cutting edge as well... it's a little too "flexible", although it hasn't bent yet. It does flex noticeably :eek: when carrying big chunks of wood from the log over to the log splitter, as we witnessed last week cutting up some big red oaks...

The top edge is what he bent the very first time he used the tractor. We pretty much got it straightened back out, but it isn't confidence inspiring when you bend your brand new bucket doing something that you would expect it to be more than up to task for. I don't think Dad was abusing anything... just relocating some split firewood from point A to point B... and after he was done he noticed that the top edge had a real nice dimple in it, right in the center.

Bindian

Ha!!! :mrgreen: Sounds like Doc owes Brandi more of them there "rep point" thingies... which I confess that I still don't fully understand!

I thought they led to a certificate for a free Starbucks coffee :thumb: ... but it turns out that I was wrong. :(

Dougster

p.s., Brandi's blog is right here for those folks who still don't know: http://bigredbeast.blogspot.com/ -d
Dougster,
Thanks for spreading the word. :thumb: Triple hugs for you.
3Xhugs, Brandi

PBinWA

PB,

Yep, I think we've decided that we're going to weld a piece of angle across the top edge... we were also looking at trying to beef up the cutting edge as well... it's a little too "flexible", although it hasn't bent yet. It does flex noticeably :eek: when carrying big chunks of wood from the log over to the log splitter, as we witnessed last week cutting up some big red oaks...

The top edge is what he bent the very first time he used the tractor. We pretty much got it straightened back out, but it isn't confidence inspiring when you bend your brand new bucket doing something that you would expect it to be more than up to task for. I don't think Dad was abusing anything... just relocating some split firewood from point A to point B... and after he was done he noticed that the top edge had a real nice dimple in it, right in the center.

You should look at the bolt on toothbar from Markham Welding or one of the other sources. I got mine some where else and can't remember where now. It's easy to put on and the teeth are really useful for digging and poking at things.

My loader has taken some serious abuse the hydraulic lines are all bent from things rolling out of the bucket and hitting them. One of my many future projects is to build a shield for the hyrdraulic lines that run parallel to the bucket. Sooner or later one of those pieces of firewood will fall out of the bucket back on to the lines! That's what happened to me. :mad2:

Bindian

You should look at the bolt on toothbar from Markham Welding or one of the other sources. I got mine some where else and can't remember where now. It's easy to put on and the teeth are really useful for digging and poking at things.

My loader has taken some serious abuse the hydraulic lines are all bent from things rolling out of the bucket and hitting them. One of my many future projects is to build a shield for the hyrdraulic lines that run parallel to the bucket. Sooner or later one of those pieces of firewood will fall out of the bucket back on to the lines! That's what happened to me. :mad2:
PB,
As you raise your bucket, you need to curl the bucket out:thumb: so nothing can fall out and take you out. Be safe.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
PB,

Opps... I misunderstood Brian. :eek: I thought he had bent the cutting edge. Yes, there is no strength at all in that upper edge. Definitely go the angle iron reinforcement route! :)

And when you are all done with your reinforcements, paint that silly Red bucket Black! :mrgreen: Black buckets are very cool. :thumb:

Dougster

PBinWA

PB,
As you raise your bucket, you need to curl the bucket out:thumb: so nothing can fall out and take you out. Be safe.
hugs, Brandi

Suppressing sarcastic remarks. . . but they might rhyme with . . . no . . . must resist . . . Doc said I had to be nice. . . . AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Bindian

Suppressing sarcastic remarks. . . but they might rhyme with . . . no . . . must resist . . . Doc said I had to be nice. . . . AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Uh PB, thanks for being nice. I am running on empty with all the holiday stuff to do and working 7 nights straight. Accidents from stuff falling out of the back of your loader bucket and hitting the tractor and driver happen all the time. Cylinder objects like fire wood, logs, and pipe are the worst in going over the back of the bucket and causing injuries. My dealer's salesman was just telling me the other day about a cutomer that rolled a steel pipe out of his bucket and smashed the tractor right at the steering wheel. He is looking to buy a new tractor! He was a lucky one. That is why TLB and tracked loaders have full 4 post cab or ROPS. Be safe, be here tomorrow.
hugs, Brandi

GLAWALL

Brian,
On the top of your bucket, use a piece of rerod and bend it up 2" on the center, and weld the ends to the outer side of your bucket then weld a 2" spacer in the middle and half way out to each end, weld in 1" spacer blocks. More strength with less weight, kind of like building a bridge. Be sure to weld a chain hook on the center block and one on each end while you have the welder out. You want to gain the most strength with the least amount of weight gain. I hope this is helpful.
',

Dougster

Old Member
Brian, On the top of your bucket, use a piece of rerod and bend it up 2" on the center, and weld the ends to the outer side of your bucket then weld a 2" spacer in the middle and half way out to each end, weld in 1" spacer blocks. More strength with less weight, kind of like building a bridge. Be sure to weld a chain hook on the center block and one on each end while you have the welder out. You want to gain the most strength with the least amount of weight gain. I hope this is helpful.
Galen is the man and, admittedly, has probably forgotten more about Mahindra loaders & buckets than I'll ever know... but given what caused your top edge damage (i.e., "carrying big chunks of wood from the log over to the log splitter") and having done this very same thing myself, I've still got to believe that serious top edge steel reinforcement using a 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron "cover" will result in less future damage. Reinforcing the underlying structure is certainly a fine idea too, but I've got to believe that protecting that thin metal top edge from impact damage must be a first priority if moving heavy oak logs is your thing. :)

Dougster

Here are a few pics of a beefed up bucket, just a little bigger than what your talking about.:mrgreen:

Top lip has 2x2x3/8 angle full width, stitch welded. 5-3/8" chain hooks.
Sides have 8"x 3/8" flat stock cut to match factory curve, perimeter weld.
Teeth are replaceable with weld on brackets.

Oh, and the problem with painting your red bucket black is that the black paint wears off and the red shows through. Still looks better than a red bucket though IMHO.;)

Attachments

• PC220025.JPG
    PC220025.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PC220026.JPG
    PC220026.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 30
  • PC220027.JPG
    PC220027.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 29

Dougster

Old Member
Here are a few pics of a beefed up bucket, just a little bigger than what your talking about.:mrgreen:

Top lip has 2x2x3/8 angle full width, stitch welded. 5-3/8" chain hooks.
Sides have 8"x 3/8" flat stock cut to match factory curve, perimeter weld.
Teeth are replaceable with weld on brackets.

Oh, and the problem with painting your red bucket black is that the black paint wears off and the red shows through. Still looks better than a red bucket though IMHO.;)
That bucket definitely means business! :eek: But shouldn't you have used the flat bottom weld-on hooks? :D

The black paint is definitely worth it. That little bit of red just looks like someone that once got in your way! :thumb:

At least that's what I tell folks. ;)

Dougster