15 Highest-Paid American Athletes

ghautz

The thing about this that aggravates me is that as taxpayers we are subsidizing most, if not all, of those outrageous salaries.:mad2: Much of the country's infrastructure is going to pot while we fund the construction and operation of state-of-the-art sports facilities. Sixty or seventy years ago professional baseball players had to have a job on the side to make a living. Their salaries now are way out of proportion to their contribution to society. Compare the pay of police, teachers, and firefighters with respect to their contributions.

End of rant.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I totally agree in the disproportionate salaries vs value to society. However, in our supply demand market place we create our own exceptions. The people of the cities hosting major league sports give the teams a stadium and a place to do business practically for free. Then many pay the huge ticket prices to see the players. The owner(s) still make money and overall society benefits. Maybe our values are totally screwed up, but without we the people paying for it the players would not get getting those huge salaries.
I would love to be in the team owner business, and have cities courting me to move a team here or there. They'll pay for the stadium etc, etc. Sounds like a sweet deal.

larryRB

I I would love to be in the team owner business, and have cities courting me to move a team here or there. They'll pay for the stadium etc, etc. Sounds like a sweet deal.

not totally true,,Boston tried pretty hard to move into Hartford CT,, CT taxpayers refused to pay for a stadium and guese what, Boston had a change of heart, paid for and built that new stadium. There is no sport in the world, worth it to me to pay tax dollars and build state of the art stadiums. Far as I' concerned those getting 30 grand every time they throw a ball can all chip in and build their stadium. Sport in sports was erased many years ago. Nothing more that a millionaries business today..

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep Larry, I agree. I think the smart communities refuse to pay. But since other cities will pay teams can leverage their way into getting freebies, or huge tax cuts, etc.

Dougster

Old Member
not totally true,,Boston tried pretty hard to move into Hartford CT,, CT taxpayers refused to pay for a stadium and guese what, Boston had a change of heart, paid for and built that new stadium. There is no sport in the world, worth it to me to pay tax dollars and build state of the art stadiums. Far as I' concerned those getting 30 grand every time they throw a ball can all chip in and build their stadium. Sport in sports was erased many years ago. Nothing more that a millionaries business today..
Certainly can't disagree at all with your latter points, but do you really think that Bob Kraft wanted to move his New England Patriots to Hartford? In my view, it was all a show... a sham... to get the Massachusetts legislature to open up OUR (Massachusetts taxpayer's) wallets to help fund Bob Kraft's crazy dreamland world tribute to himself over there in Foxboro.
Methinks that smart folks in CT figured out Mr. Kraft's game plan in time... :badidea: ...and the rest is history.
Dougster

larryRB

I agree, Kraft wanted the elite piece right on the CT river front, which is now a exhibition hall owned by the state,,, I agree he pushed this to the limit until your ultra, ultra liberal cronies agreed to pay the bill, Look now, Kraft doesn't invest a dime and still collects 100% of the ticket monies,, not a bad deal for him and the players,,

Dougster

Old Member
I agree, Kraft wanted the elite piece right on the CT river front, which is now a exhibition hall owned by the state,,, I agree he pushed this to the limit until your ultra, ultra liberal cronies agreed to pay the bill, Look now, Kraft doesn't invest a dime and still collects 100% of the ticket monies,, not a bad deal for him and the players,,
They don't call him "Krafty" for nothing! ;)

Dougster

B

bczoom

Well, I do my best not to contribute.

I don't buy anything to help line any of these people's pockets. No tickets, hats, jerseys... Heck, they're lucky if I'll spend a little time in front of the TV watching them (and that would be NFL or NASCAR only). I have no use for the NBA, NHL, golf or MLB.

olcowhand

Well, I do my best not to contribute.

I don't buy anything to help line any of these people's pockets. No tickets, hats, jerseys... Heck, they're lucky if I'll spend a little time in front of the TV watching them (and that would be NFL or NASCAR only). I have no use for the NBA, NHL, golf or MLB.

That's me exactly! Occasionally I may watch a few minutes of Nascar, but that's about it. I'd rather be in my shop tinkering with a garden tractor. I do that till my feet start to hurt, then watch a little television AFTER checking all my groups here on the Pooter. I watch little to no sports. I used to race motocross about 20 years ago, so liked to watch moto races now & then, but when all the outdoor racetracks closed & they went to stadium races...they lost me too.

Don't forget about the new Science Center over there Larry. I sortof have to disagree with Krafty getting 100% of the money though. I saw a thing on HBO awhile back about pplayers and other things. They stated that the players basically get 60% of the gate reciepts.
Now Krafty does get 100% of the $40.00 they charge ya to park over there though. :sad:

Dougster

Old Member
Don't forget about the new Science Center over there Larry. I sortof have to disagree with Krafty getting 100% of the money though. I saw a thing on HBO awhile back about pplayers and other things. They stated that the players basically get 60% of the gate reciepts.
Now Krafty does get 100% of the $40.00 they charge ya to park over there though. :sad:
Mister Krafty is not exactly worried where his next meal is coming from Ed. :rolleyes:

Can we agree on that??? :thumb: :beer:

Dougster

ghautz

I totally agree in the disproportionate salaries vs value to society. However, in our supply demand market place we create our own exceptions. The people of the cities hosting major league sports give the teams a stadium and a place to do business practically for free. Then many pay the huge ticket prices to see the players. The owner(s) still make money and overall society benefits. Maybe our values are totally screwed up, but without we the people paying for it the players would not get getting those huge salaries.
I would love to be in the team owner business, and have cities courting me to move a team here or there. They'll pay for the stadium etc, etc. Sounds like a sweet deal.

Sounds like you support the way things are done.

The Arizona Cardinals (they changed from the Phoenix Cardinals to widen their perceived support) got a new stadium under a proposition that put their fingers in the pockets of every taxpayer in the state. I don't have a copy of the proposition now, but it gives the team all the sales tax revenues for sales in the stadium. In addition, the proposition stated that all visiting teams would have to pay a state income tax on their earnings while playing in the stadium. If, for some reason those players don't pay, the state will make it up out of its revenues. I don't recall the other terms, but the taxpayers got the short end of the stick. The only upside to the situation is that the team was forced to accept a location different from what they wanted. There is some suspicion that someone associated with the team and the proposition had bought some cheap property and expected to make a killing reselling it for the stadium.

The collapse of the bridge in Minneapolis a while back brought all this back to mind. Most governments apparently don't have the money to properly maintain bridges, dams, etc. but we still build these sports facilities with tax money.