The 2008 Kubota M59

Dougster

Old Member
Have I mentioned yet today that I'd cut off my left arm for a new 2008 Kubota M59 TLB??? :cool:

The dang thing is pretty much useless anyway. :D So what the heck??? :)

Dougster

larryRB

I'll make you a deal you can't refuse Dougster, IF I win a substantial lottery before you do, I will replace the 48 and Bri-Mar trailer with new trailer and the new L59. You can buy my present set up for 20.000..

Dougster

Old Member
I'll make you a deal you can't refuse Dougster, IF I win a substantial lottery before you do, I will replace the 48 and Bri-Mar trailer with new trailer and the new L59. You can buy my present set up for 20.000..
First off... it's the M59! Don't ask me why. But it is clearly the intended successor to the L48. I saw the advance copy brochure over at the local Kubota Palace a couple weeks back. Even got copies of the cover photo and specs. Looks like an L39/L48 on steroids!!! ;) Ya gotta love it!!! :)

But the big question Larry: Can that little bitty Dodge truck of yours pull it??? :D

Dougster

larryRB

I can pull tractor and trailer to your place along Mass pike and 495 just off idle,, really have no need to depress throttle, you're talking a Cummins powered Doidge ya know:D Fuel is expensive now and I have to start conserving it.:D

Dougster

Old Member
I can pull tractor and trailer to your place along Mass pike and 495 just off idle,, really have no need to depress throttle, you're talking a Cummins powered Doidge ya know:D Fuel is expensive now and I have to start conserving it.:D
It's amazing you even get that big Dodge monster truck into your garage... but I am dead serious in my question: Can you legally pull a 14,000 lb rated trailer with that 8,500-8,600 lb (+/-) M59 on there??? I don't think you'd be able to get it on a 12,000 lb rated trailer. :confused: At least not legally.

I just need to know in case I win the lottery tonight! :D

Dougster

larryRB

doing the math, it is awful close, Now,, because my trailer is only 18 ft long, it would be nose heavy for sure and probably wouldn't make it through the Union scales. I would be over quite a bit on the rear axle.. I make it now, just make it, with the L48. As far as the truck rating,, 14K is no problem.

Dougster

Old Member
doing the math, it is awful close, Now,, because my trailer is only 18 ft long, it would be nose heavy for sure and probably wouldn't make it through the Union scales. I would be over quite a bit on the rear axle.. I make it now, just make it, with the L48. As far as the truck rating,, 14K is no problem.
Personally, I think this is going to be an issue with the M59. If you can't pull it with the biggest (non-dually) pickup trucks around, that means you are now into a dump truck. How many Kubota folks out there are going to trade their pickups for dump trucks just so they can upgrade from an L39 or L48 to the M59??? :confused:

And yet interest in the M59 is already reportedly huge. I can't wait to see all the slightly used L39's and L48's on the Kubota Palace's lot next Summer! :D

Could this finally be the Dougster's big (orange-colored) break??? ;)

Dougster

B

bczoom

Have I mentioned yet today that I'd cut off my left arm for a new 2008 Kubota M59 TLB???
Then I'd propose you get a suicide knob for easier steering.

that means you are now into a dump truck. How many Kubota folks out there are going to trade their pickups for dump trucks just so they can upgrade from an L39 or L48 to the M59???
OK, why is everyone hauling their TLB's around? If it's for a business, I wouldn't think it would be uncommon to have/get a dump truck. If you're using it for favors, stop doing the favors...

Dougster

Old Member
Then I'd propose you get a suicide knob for easier steering.
Or become the bionic man (hint: I kinda like that brand new bionic woman!!!) :D
OK, why is everyone hauling their TLB's around? If it's for a business, I wouldn't think it would be uncommon to have/get a dump truck. If you're using it for favors, stop doing the favors...
Funny, but I'd pose exactly the opposite question. In the case of the larger "purpose-built" compact TLB's (as opposed to compact tractors with backhoe attachments), why would anyone buy one other than to transport it around? :confused: If you didn't intend to transport it to remote jobsites for profit or otherwise, wouldn't you either buy a full-size hoe (for big land) or a tractor with a backhoe attachment (for smaller needs). Has anyone here actually purchased a new L48 (or JD110) for exclusive use on their own sole plot of land??? :confused:

Dougster

B

bczoom

I agree but was just saying that if you're hauling it around to make money, you're going to have the proper tow vehicle as well.

Funny, but I'd pose exactly the opposite question. In the case of the larger "purpose-built" compact TLB's (as opposed to compact tractors with backhoe attachments), why would anyone buy one other than to transport it around?
Because they're fun. :whistle:
I wouldn't hesitate to do that (buy one for personal use) but haven't yet justified since I have access to all kinds of excavating equipment from neighbors and friends.

Dougster

Old Member
Because they're fun. :whistle:
Well, hard to argue with that logic! ;) You've got me there! :)

Still, I've got to believe that the vast majority of L48's and JD110's are sold for some level of commercial use. I will go one step further and speculate that most M59's will also be used... at least in part... for commercial purposes.

I think my thesis get shakier when you start talking about the L39 as that is an awfully attractive machine for a private party with more serious digging needs than can be met with the typical attachment backhoes we see around here on Kubotas.

Dougster

larryRB

. If you can't pull it with the biggest (non-dually) pickup trucks around, that means you are now into a dump truck. (orange-colored) break??? ;)
Dougster

Mine has a 23,000 rating, so I should be able to legally pull a new L 59. I wouldn't even try it with my present trailer, just too short and no way to readjust tongue weights.

Dougster

Old Member
Mine has a 23,000 rating, so I should be able to legally pull a new L 59. I wouldn't even try it with my present trailer, just too short and no way to readjust tongue weights.
I assume that is a combined vehicle weight rating and not a misprint. That's actually quite encouraging. Close, but encouraging. I'm thinking it would take a 14K gooseneck trailer anyway... so be ready to go when one of us hits the Powerball lottery!!! :D

Dougster

p.s., and stop calling it the "L59" or you'll have me doing it too! ;) -d