Real vs Synthetic oil for rust protection

CKing

I've used old motor oil on farm implements for rust protection while sitting under the pole barn. Wash the clay off, sit them on wood blocks to keep them off the ground and then paint with old oil. Would synthetic work as good, not than many vehicles still use real oil. Guess I could use old diesel motor oil but so much soot.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For ground implements, I stick with Fluid Film so I don't get the petroleum in the ground.

For other implements, I mix oil with diesel (to thin it out) then use a pump sprayer to coat the steel.

I'd "think" synthetic oil would work like dino oil.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have found that hydraulic oil or tractor fluid is better to protect from rust than engine oil. but i use fluidfilm because it is better than both and lasts longer. i used to paint plow bottoms with soft paint to make them scour better after storage. i don't have any experience with synthetic but i think the anti corrosion additives in hydraulic oil is what makes it protect better. chain lube will also protect against rust.

Synthetic motor oil is just a narrower boiling range than conventional oil but very similar chemistry, and should work the same as a rust preventative.