1140 Transmissions

AdamsRepair

Input shaft of 1140 transmission. This is the 3rd or 4th one that we have seen that completely stripped out the splines. We don't believe it is from a misalignment problem, because they all have worn splines and they wear straight. They just have so much TORQUE. Kubota puts coupling grease on the splines with O Rings to keep it in the coupling adapter but we have found they do not put enough grease in. Just my observation. They keep cracking the cases at the same point also.TORQUE, POWER, ABUSE. Whats cracking the cases on the Right side at the bell-housing? Have had 3ea 1140's cases welded up so far. Wish I knew how many Hours are on these units.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I think it's related to the guy who keeps doing this;

ha ha ha

Attachments

• user38392_pic221_1391473998.jpg
    user38392_pic221_1391473998.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 85

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Now you've gone and got yourself kicked off the Kubota R&D team!!!

All joking aside, the wear you show there and in other pictures in you album is amazing.

Tremendous torque through a small shaft with so few splines. Almost looks like soft metal but know that would never be the case.

ccmdvl1960

AdamsRepair, why doesn't this mining operation just send over the whole machine to you rather than them taking the time to take it apart and give you pieces to be repaired?

I enjoy reading your posts. Amazing what you encounter and are able to fix.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
On car drive axles they increase the spline count to strengthen the connection for drag racing and other such tortures.

Totally different application, but would that suggest that more splines would spread the load or does it need an even longer shaft and wider gear engagement to spread the load.

Any engineer types out there to answer how to strengthen this setup???

AdamsRepair

AdamsRepair, why doesn't this mining operation just send over the whole machine to you rather than them taking the time to take it apart and give you pieces to be repaired?

I enjoy reading your posts. Amazing what you encounter and are able to fix.
The Mine is 6500 feet deep, accessed by a vertical shaft. The shaft is not big in diameter, but deep. So to ship the Kubotas up and down the shaft they have to be hung vertical, and the roll bars and fenders removed, fluids drained and batts removed. Shaft time is at a premium. Hauling Ore and waste rock out, and hauling all the supplies (the hard rock mining process takes) down the shaft.
They are at 3200 ft below sea level. I think they have the (hoist)skips running at 1800 ft per min. So it takes awhile to travel that deep. (Long elevator ride). A service We provide at that Mine is prepping Large underground trucks and loaders to ship down the shaft. The 20 ton Atlas Copco trucks require us to completely disassemble them, ship them down in a certain order and reassemble them. Even cutting them into pieces small enough to fit in the shaft and welding them back together. The max weight we can ship per trip is 13,500lbs. It is really something to take a torch to a brand new $500,000 to $750,000 machine. The big equipment will probably never ever see the light of day again. Kind of like building a sailboat in your basement cellar. If I remember right it takes 2 of us about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from start to finish (Running) for a 20 ton truck. I've got a bunch of pictures on the shop computer I can post if anyone is interested

AdamsRepair

Shipping Equip down 6500 feet deep

Here are some of the pictures of Me and a helper shipping a Cat R1300 loader underground and a Atlas Copco MT2010 mine truck underground @ Lucky Friday Mine . Mullan, Idaho. We have to have the engineers rate our pick points. We have to find a balance point to lift from. To get these odd shaped pieces to hang straight. Yet we have no way of hanging them before putting them into the shaft, so best guess then change the rigging to balance it.. We measure and measure and re measure We only have inches of clearance to make these pieces fit in the shaft. I have more pic's of stuff hanging over the shaft I just have to find them...http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/album.php?albumid=58 pic of truck before and putting it back together UG.
picture.php
picture.php

ccmdvl1960

Wow! Now I understand why you only see pieces of the RTV! When something is permanently decommissioned, I'm guessing they just park it in an abandoned area of the mine and that's it?