parts cost aggravation

nworbekim

lost the oil filler plug while bush hogging... cost to replace it? $17!!!

can you believe that hunk of rubber cost that? next time i'll buy a cork or whittle one out of wood or somthing!

which brings me to this question...

is there a substitute for the mahindra oil filter? need one for 3510 and looking for a cheaper version...

thanks....

webby587

hi: mahindra part are over priced. they wanted $35.00 for a oil filter for my tractor. i bought them on ebay for $10.00. thanks webby

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Doesn't that just hack you off!!!!

The only thing worse than than that is the cost of anything to do with a swimming pool. I still remember when they wanted to charge me $14 for a left handed bolt for a pool pump.

Try pricing some of the Kubota filters. Some of those range up to $60. I'll be doing a little research for a cheaper version of those before I need to change them.

urednecku

Doesn't that just hack you off!!!!

The only thing worse than than that is the cost of anything to do with a swimming pool. I still remember when they wanted to charge me $14 for a left handed bolt for a pool pump.

Try pricing some of the Kubota filters. Some of those range up to $60. I'll be doing a little research for a cheaper version of those before I need to change them.

Guess I better start looking around now, too. I'm closing in on filters & oil change time myself.
Any suggestions so far?

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Nope. I used two Kubota filters last time around but you can bet I'll be doing a little research before I have to change all three of them next time.

Bindian

I think it is the dealer who marks up the price. My dealer's oil filters are not expensive and I have no plan on buying off brand filters.
hugs, Brandi

72ih354

nworbekim,
For your Mahindra 3510 a Baldwin B173S should work just fine. We sell the factory oil filter from Mahindra (Tong Yang Moolsan) for $10.95. Hope this helps!
Scott @ Artec

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk 72ih354. I'm glad you found us.
PM me if you'd be interested in a banner ad to advertise your services. Low cost ads that help get the word out.

Messicks (our Kubota advertiser) has a good price on the Kubota filters. It pays to shop around on these things.

72ih354

Doc,
Only time will tell if management is interested in the banner ad. Strangely enough, I deal with Jeff at Messicks on a regular basis. Sometimes it helps to get far from one's geographic area to do business (non-compete). Messicks has been a great source for IH parts that I have needed for my own 354 and 674 (sold recently to afford my Mahindra 3525).
Scott @ Artec

LETHAL GTS

You would be surprised in the difference in quality between some filters.
Not all filters are created equally.
In fact if you ever cut different brands of filters open and compare you would be amazed at what some of these companies pass off as oil filters.
I have seen some that are literally paper glued together and look as though they are ready to come apart even before they have been used.
A few years back we did a comparison at the dealership I was at on oil filters (engine/hydraulic) it was frightening to see some of the crap these big name filter companies are selling.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that some filters aren't overpriced, but often you get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

Giles

You would be surprised in the difference in quality between some filters.
Not all filters are created equally.
In fact if you ever cut different brands of filters open and compare you would be amazed at what some of these companies pass off as oil filters.
I have seen some that are literally paper glued together and look as though they are ready to come apart even before they have been used.
A few years back we did a comparison at the dealership I was at on oil filters (engine/hydraulic) it was frightening to see some of the crap these big name filter companies are selling.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that some filters aren't overpriced, but often you get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

In fact if you ever cut different brands of filters open and compare you would be amazed at what some of these companies pass off as oil filters

Then you know about "Fram" filters !!

Bindian

Try Bill's Tractors in San Antonio, Texas. They are the biggest Mahindra dealer and I am told they ship the same day. I also heard they are lower in price than my local dealer.
hugs, Brandi

Terry2816

I agree that Mahindra branded filters are a bit over priced. I recently replaced all of my filters with Wix filters, which are available at a number of auto parts stores. The original filters on my 2816 were unmarked, not even a part number or manufacturer. This leads me to believe that they are of questionable quality, as unbranded products do not claim to meet any quality standard. They are unmarked to prevent you from cross referencing to other brand filters. The Mahindra branded boxes at my dealership mostly contain unmarked filters as well, although one, the engine oil filter, is a Mitsubishi branded filter.

I agree that the contents of the filter can will greatly vary between brands, and that some major brand names offer nothing more than a famous name to a filter that minimally meets the quality required by the application.

I retired from the railroad industry, and after servicing 3600 hp locomotives for 30+ years, I have probably changed tens of thousands oil and fuel filters. We change the filters every 3 months. Each engine has seven 6 inch diameter by 36 inch long oil filters in a large filter housing as well as two spin on filters for the turbocharger which are larger that any automotive filter I have seen. The two spin-on fuel filters are just as large. It was common to service five to ten locomotives each day.

Now that being said, it does not make me an expert on the quality of any specific brand of fuel or oil filter, but it does provide me with a lot of exposure to what brands are used. The brands that are used are high quality industrial brands, not inexpensive brands that you get at *** Mart. The two brands that I have seen most often are Wix and Baldwin. I trust these two brands more than any others.

I can guarantee one thing: Mahindra, as well as Case, Ford, Kubota, Mitsubishi, John Deere or any other OEM that you may think of do not make the filters on the equipment that they sell. The filters that they use are the minimum quality that meets the specification and are lowest price filter that they can buy. I believe that most dealers do not want you to know what filter is used, so they will get your business, and will do their best to dissuade you from using other filters by brining up the quality issue, something that they themselves now little about.

Fleet owners look for quality and economy. Cutting corners on filters and fluids, while reducing initial cost, can result in catastrophic failure in the long run. My advise: use the best quality commercial filter on your application. Learn what the OEM specification calls for as far as flow rate and filtering media, and meet or exceed those standards where you can.

scooby1

lost the oil filler plug while bush hogging... cost to replace it? $17!!!

can you believe that hunk of rubber cost that? next time i'll buy a cork or whittle one out of wood or somthing!

which brings me to this question...

is there a substitute for the mahindra oil filter? need one for 3510 and looking for a cheaper version...

thanks....

Try Napa auto parts store