want to make log trailer with boom

grump507

hi
i have a perfect condition dump insert that i want to make a log trailer with a boom on it to load and unload so we dont have to bring the tractor everywhere.
IM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON THE BOOM AND THE RIGHT SIZE MATERIAL FOR STRENGTH TO USE. there are a couple things that hinder the project and one is one that i think affects alot of others also and that is money. i want/need to do this [ cordwood ] for extra income. i have a great opportunity to get wood free. just have to get it home to process.
ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND EVEN MORE WITH DRAWINGS AS IM A HANDS ON LOOK AT SOMETHING KIND OF GUY AS OPPOSED TO JUST WRITTEN OUT.
we dont have 3rd funtion hyd on our tractor so i made a grapple that extends off the bucket and i used 2 old backhoe buckets as the jaws and a 12v winch to open the jaws and the it picks up the logs like a set of log tongs when i release the winch. it works great so i dont have a problem doing this stuff.
I FIGURE ILL GO TO THE LOCALE SCRAP YARD TO GET USED STEEL BUT THE OTHER FACTOR IS FINDING THE USED HYDRAULIC PARTS!!!
SO AGAIN I WELCOME THE IDEAS AND THINGS[hydraulic parts] i will need.
THANKS TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE THAT LOOKS AND RESPONDS.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a picture of that dump insert as well as your existing components so we have a better idea?

I see your location is MA so I'm assuming Massachusetts. If that's the case, have you looked into old boat trailers as your base? That's what we used to use.

They're wide open so if you remove the rails (the elevated ones in the picture below), you can just reach in there and grab them. Option B is to use a series of rollers. when you want to unload, wrap a chain around the logs at the back side of the trailer then either pull them off or tie off that chain and pull the trailer out from under them.

11_boat_trailer_500.jpg

LincTex

A tandem axle boat trailer is a darn good start, but the one I have is still built pretty light... and would need some decent reinforcing before I feel it could handle any more than maybe 3,000-4,000 lbs.

The attraction of boat trailers is that they can be found really inexpensive. A tandem axle flatbed trailer in this part of Texas is at least $700-$800 bare minimum any day, but I can find tandem axle boat trailers for $300-$400

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A tandem axle boat trailer is a darn good start, but the one I have is still built pretty light... and would need some decent reinforcing before I feel it could handle any more than maybe 3,000-4,000 lbs.
Terrain changes a lot of things. Where I live (very hilly) any trailer over 3000# on the road requires brakes. On the trails, it obviously varies by the vehicle doing the towing. I only use trailers on the flatter ground since the trails and corners in the hills are too tight for a trailer.

LincTex

What about something like this: 2" Hitch Crane

I really like that 2" hitch crane!!
WooHoo, the wife is out of town for a few days and the welder is coming out tonight!

I can adapt my current cherry picker easily.... I think I'll make it with castering wheels on the "outriggers" and a "swivel/pivot" where it goes into the receiver so it can move it in a 180 degree arc from one side all the way to the other side!!

I'll also add a hand winch like this one has:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200579191_200579191

29254_700x700.jpg