Wooden loader platform

Bindian

Hey Y'all,
I need to build a temporary work platform for my FEL bucket to install barn siding on the back of my barn. I don't have but 20 feet to the fence behind the barn and cannot get my Mahindra 90 degrees off the barn's backside with the backhoe even turned to the side. You can check out the barn here if you want. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...lo-affair.html
I will be placing the 4x4s in the bucket and adding 2x6s over that. I will support all this from the chain hooks and the receiver tube welded to the top of my bucket. The 4x4s will sit into the bottom of the bucket. I used the bucket on the front side of the barn and the 7 foot wide bucket was nice to work from. So my question....Can I build a platform that sticks out 7 feet that will hold me and the weight of the materials, only secured by the chain hooks that are about 2 feet above the bottom of the bucket and a support from the receiver tube?
hugs, Brandi

shinnlinger

Brandi,

do you have forks? I have an expanded steel platform I slide on my forks when doing what you are doing. I have contemplated making or modifying a big pallet for the same idea.

I would rig up what you think is good and raise it a foot off the ground and jump on/load it up to test it. I dont know about using 4x4 for the construction though. It will make it heavy which will make it tought to put on and increase your top heavyness when up in the air. A frame out of 2x6 24" on center with 3/4 plywood should be heavy duty enough for what you propose. I would try to tie it into the bucket somehow,drilling through the side of your bucket and bolting it in would work if needed, but even two big C clamps pinching the wooden frame to the bucket sides would probably be enough. I also like your suspend from the bucket hooks idea, but I dont think it is
enough on it's own.

Do you have a 3pt carry all? If you go to my carry all bucket forks in the homemade implements section you will see my forks that were inspired when my dad chained a carry all in my bucket, which could give you a little more support.

Bindian

Brandi,

do you have forks? I have an expanded steel platform I slide on my forks when doing what you are doing. I have contemplated making or modifying a big pallet for the same idea.

I would rig up what you think is good and raise it a foot off the ground and jump on/load it up to test it. I dont know about using 4x4 for the construction though. It will make it heavy which will make it tought to put on and increase your top heavyness when up in the air. A frame out of 2x6 24" on center with 3/4 plywood should be heavy duty enough for what you propose. I would try to tie it into the bucket somehow,drilling through the side of your bucket and bolting it in would work if needed, but even two big C clamps pinching the wooden frame to the bucket sides would probably be enough. I also like your suspend from the bucket hooks idea, but I dont think it is
enough on it's own.

Do you have a 3pt carry all? If you go to my carry all bucket forks in the homemade implements section you will see my forks that were inspired when my dad chained a carry all in my bucket, which could give you a little more support.
Shinnlinger,:wave:
2x6s instead of the 4x4s sounds good. The back of the platform will have 2x6 uprights wedged into the backside of the top lip of the bucket. My center receiver tube will have a check chain (off of my old Ford 3055 #PH) with a bolt holding it. A chain will come off the left hook and the receiver tube check chain for about a 4 foot wide platform. I am fixin' to go buy some 3/4 inch plywood. I first thought of buying a carry all, but for the price and the one time job, it would be cost effective.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will only make it about 6 feet long.
hugs, Brandi

Archdean

""I don't have but 20 feet to the fence behind the barn and cannot get my Mahindra 90 degrees off the barn's backside with the backhoe even turned to the side""
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you saying that you have to have the tractor parallel to the vertical working surface??

This can be built easily and used anytime you need it, added weight is negligible and it attachés quickly.

The safety factor is enhanced with the rail!!

Attachments

• guttercleaner.jpg
    guttercleaner.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 263

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
""I don't have but 20 feet to the fence behind the barn and cannot get my Mahindra 90 degrees off the barn's backside with the backhoe even turned to the side""
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you saying that you have to have the tractor parallel to the vertical working surface??

This can be built easily and used anytime you need it, added weight is negligible and it attachés quickly.

Archdean, you should have added.......helping hand not included. :wink:

Bindian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archdean,:wave:
I have seen that photo before. Yes, like that, but it will have a 2x6 frame with 3/4 pylwood and railing.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 2-23-08 Work platform frame.jpg
    2-23-08 Work platform frame.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 242

Archdean

Thats because I posted a slide show of the platform project and it was the last slide Brandi!

On to your project: As depicted in your photo, for discussion purposes lets say you weigh 100+#'s and you step to the far front, you will have just applied a leveraged force of approx 800 additional #'s to the retainer that you described earlier!

Did I miss something? Or is it time to rethink the way it's attached?

Bindian

Thats because I posted a slide show of the platform project and it was the last slide Brandi!

On to your project: As depicted in your photo, for discussion purposes lets say you weigh 100+#'s and you step to the far front, you will have just applied a leveraged force of approx 800 additional #'s to the retainer that you described earlier!

Did I miss something? Or is it time to rethink the way it's attached?
Archdean,:wave:
I do know weight and balance and arms and moments, as I am an aircraft mechanic. The platform will stick out about 6.5 feet. The back end will be wedged into the bucket with braces. Say I am 150 pounds. Say the platform weighs 100 pounds. That is 250 pounds x 6.5 = 1625 pounds. That means the two 3/8 log chains will be supporting about 812.5 pounds each. Since some of the weigh, say 10%, will be support by the bracing wedge into the top of the bucket, that takes it down to 731.25 pounds per chain. One chain on a welded hook and the other from the receiver tube. The hooks has been proof tested. See photo below. That is if I am out at the tip of the platform. I only went 8 feet overall length is to keep my wood at 8 feet for use after I finish sidng the barn. I may just stop the railing at say 5 feet.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 4-26-07 Stumps R Us 5 resized 2.jpg
    4-26-07 Stumps R Us 5 resized 2.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 241

Bindian

I decked the frame with 3/4 inch plywood. Then I added a 83 1/2 inch 4x4 attached with 1/2 inch lag bolts to the back slope of the bucket and blocked from there using 2x4s as spacers and stops for the blocking. One 2x8 and two 2x6s are jammed up under the bucket lip, along with a 4x4 knotch cut to fit good attached to the ball mount on the receiver tube with a 1/2 inch lag bolts. Luke and I both jumped on the end of it and nothing happened.:cool: It creeks and groans only when I first pick it up off of the ground. It didn't creek or groan during the jumping. We had the tractor front end bouncing up and down like a low rider!:pat: The frame is 3 eight foot 2x6s under 3/4 inch.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 2-24-08 Blocking 2.jpg
    2-24-08 Blocking 2.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 2-24-08 Blocking 3.jpg
    2-24-08 Blocking 3.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 2-24-08 Luke jumping on platform 2.jpg
    2-24-08 Luke jumping on platform 2.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 2-24-08 Platform with Railing.jpg
    2-24-08 Platform with Railing.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 231
N

Nicahawk

I decked the frame with 3/4 inch plywood. Then I added a 83 1/2 inch 4x4 attached with 1/2 inch lag bolts to the back slope of the bucket and blocked from there using 2x4s as spacers and stops for the blocking. One 2x8 and two 2x6s are jammed up under the bucket lip, along with a 4x4 knotch cut to fit good attached to the ball mount on the receiver tube with a 1/2 inch lag bolts. Luke and I both jumped on the end of it and nothing happened.:cool: It creeks and groans only when I first pick it up off of the ground. It didn't creek or groan during the jumping. We had the tractor front end bouncing up and down like a low rider!:pat: The frame is 3 eight foot 2x6s under 3/4 inch.
hugs, Brandi

Well done.
icon14.gif
Can also be used as a portable dance floor or maybe a diving platform, or...........
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
I'm sure it will have more than one use.:cool:

Bindian

I wanted to get all the metal installed ASAP on the back side. The weather forecast was good on Monday and Tuesday, so I took last night and tonight off as vacation.
cool.gif
Yesterday I started using the platform and immediately saw that it was lacking. I added two shelves for tools to be at hands reach.
smile.gif
It worked better than expected and I used the whole length of the platform. I now wish I would have made this before I installed the barn front siding!
frown.gif
I lowered the right backhoe stabilizer for more stability on the incline and to roll the platform in towards the barn. Now I will take the barn work back to http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/n...te=1&p=1333575
I have almost all the upper roof metal installed.
cool.gif
It has been fun and I am sore all over. Now I go back to work and rest for a couple of days!
smile.gif

hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 2-25-08 Even room for Tidy Cat trash bucket.jpg
    2-25-08 Even room for Tidy Cat trash bucket.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 2-25-08 Platform mod #1.jpg
    2-25-08 Platform mod #1.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 2-25-08 Platform mod #2.jpg
    2-25-08 Platform mod #2.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 2-26-08 Barn back side looking good 2.jpg
    2-26-08 Barn back side looking good 2.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 2-26-08 Thank God for backhoe stabilizers resized.jpg
    2-26-08 Thank God for backhoe stabilizers resized.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 194

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Brandi:

Shouldn't you have a supervisors chair and drink holder installed on your MFELP? (Mahindra front end loader platform) LOL

Keifer, a (Kubota) RTV wannabe

Bindian

Brandi:

Shouldn't you have a supervisors chair and drink holder installed on your MFELP? (Mahindra front end loader platform) LOL

Keifer, a (Kubota) RTV wannabe

Keifer,:wave:
That chair was in the rented cherry picker bucket, for my son, while we installed the barn roof trusts.:pat: He had to wait while I ran between two ladders on each end of the trust and tell him where to center the "load".:eek: The loader platform was a one person, one time thing.:wink: Besides, I worked too fast and moved the Big RED Beast too often to take a break up there!:yum::yum:
I know what a TV (television) is:smartass: and I know what an RV (recreation vehicle) is:smartass::smartass:, but what is an RTV?:confused:
hugs, Brandi