RPMS

elkhound

Site Supporter
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways as I'm more concerned with taking care of my 2001 Kubota L3000DT than my pride.

This is my first diesel tractor. I do have some experience with my Uncles 1974 Ford 3000. I know most implements will advise as to what rpms to run.

But what about when your not operating any implements. Say you're just moving from one field to the next? Or are pulling a trailer? Whether you're in high, or low range?

Not sure if this info will matter but it's rated h.p. is 32, with 27.5 at the pto.

I'm just trying to get as much info on taking care of my new to me orange pride and joy as I can. Thanks and any and all info is much appreciated.

LETHAL GTS

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways as I'm more concerned with taking care of my 2001 Kubota L3000DT than my pride.

This is my first diesel tractor. I do have some experience with my Uncles 1974 Ford 3000. I know most implements will advise as to what rpms to run.

But what about when your not operating any implements. Say you're just moving from one field to the next? Or are pulling a trailer? Whether you're in high, or low range?

Not sure if this info will matter but it's rated h.p. is 32, with 27.5 at the pto.

I'm just trying to get as much info on taking care of my new to me orange pride and joy as I can. Thanks and any and all info is much appreciated.

This might sound like a stupid question, but what was your question?:yum:

elkhound

Site Supporter
This might sound like a stupid question, but what was your question?:yum:

Not a stupid question. Guess I could have been more clear. I was just wondering what rpm range you run your tractors in doing various jobs? Or just moving from one area to the next?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I run mine at about 1700-1900 most of the time (and PTO is 2600 IIRC).

Generally speaking, I run it at a RPM that's just high enough so it doesn't bog down for whatever I'm doing.

elkhound

Site Supporter
I run mine at about 1700-1900 most of the time (and PTO is 2600 IIRC).

Generally speaking, I run it at a RPM that's just high enough so it doesn't bog down for whatever I'm doing.

Thanks for the input. That's the range I've been running it at.

LETHAL GTS

Unless you are operating a PTO driven implement. In which case you will need to run it at the required rated RPM. This is usually indicated on the tachometer with a distinct line.

urednecku

Me, too.
I have also found that running my bush-hog, I can run it @ ~440 rpm instead of the rated 540 (as long as it's not too thick/tough), which is much lower engine speed also, and use a LOT less diesel, but still does a decent job.

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
Actually, the torque peak RPM of any engine is it's most efficient engine speed. That said, you have to find a gear that makes the most of that engine speed. If you are not working it hard, and just moving the machine somewhere, then a higher gear and lower RPM is okay.

When under load the engine RPM that makes 540 PTO RPM is typically the torque peak and will usually offer best fuel efficiency, again when under significant load. If you run the equipment enough, you might find that an RPM slightly higher or lower than the torque peak will serve you best, but it will be very close to the torque peak.

Man, I wish some of my operators would read this forum, if they could read. Yeah, I'm being cynical.. sorry. I see them set the throttle at 540, hit the PTO and pop the clutch, dang the torpedos and...oops, what gear am I in!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
When I'm chugging around from one place to another I usually set the throttle by the sound of the engine. If I look down it's usually around 1800 to 2000 rpm.

Redneck, in 20+ years of tractor driving I have never thought of mowing at less than 540 rpm. Strange how you get set in your ways. I may have to give that a try and see what happens.

urednecku

ETF, I was in lighter stuff, & it just seemed to be 'over-reving' for what I was cutting. Go 'by ear' & the finished job behind the mower. Saves fuel!!