RTV Gun Carry....What to use?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Currently, I carry a .22LR, Mossberg Plinkster in my gun rack above my rear window in the RTV. This last year it proved the necessity of having it with 2 rattlesnakes to get rid of down in the pasture. As it was, one of our livestock guard dogs, LGD, got bit in the face and we were barely able to save her.
I don't want to carry something really high dollar as I am not gonna take it in and out of the vehicle every time I park it in the barn..........Yes, it gets kinda dusty; but it's been a couple of years now of doing it, and thanks to Fluid Film, when I cleaned it a couple of days ago there still was no rust on it the action was just fine.

So, my question.........A fella gave me a 1908 Argentine Mauser the other day. It is chambered for 30.06 from the original whatever it was. I just got an email from a fella on here......THANKS BUD........showing how guns blow up and whoooooa do they ever cause some damage.......So.......I have yet to test fire the thing by straping it to a bench or something and use a string to pull the trigger and put maybe 10 or so rounds through it to test..........IS THAT ENOUGH??????????......Or get it totally hot by MANY rounds???? I am gonna use the ammo that I get from CMP over in Anniston to do this test.

Is it worth my time to do this and carry it instead of the .22 or just be happy with what I have?........God bless.........Dennis

green anchors

Hi Dennis, It is my humble opinion that anything you need to "test shoot" with a string....... :whistling: is something you should be giving to your not so best friend. If the 22 plinker is working for ya then go with it. Love the idea of fluid film for it, has anyone else used the stuff on firearms?

urednecku

I would strongly suggest having that Mauser looked over by a good gunsmith before even test-firing it. Could save ya some serious problems.
As for carrying a .22, depends on what you wanna shoot. If you think there would be a chance you would put some meat larger than a rabbit in the freezer, then use something with a little more 'thump' to it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any chance you can trade that Mauser for a shotgun? A cheap single shot, double barrel or pump is probably a better option compared to a 30-06.

I too use Fluid Film to clean the guns.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with zoom. A single shot shotgun has alot of versatility if you have a need to pack a firearm. That free 30.06 you have might best serve you better as a 'wall hanger' rather than a 'go to' gun IMHO. It might not be so 'free' if you end up in the ER at your local hospital with the staff trying to put the other half of your face back together. And forget about your eye--it's gone. Friends don't let friends shoot shoot 'unsafe' guns or ammo -- period.

(i'm sure this issue has happened with other folks too. getting an old gun no one wants to toss but yet of unknown history or quality. if its a 'must shoot' firearm ... have a competent gunsmith check it out before attempting firing it.)

chad450r

Best light weight easy shooting shotgun IMO is a single shot 410, many shell options available. I have a old Stevens Arms Company single shot gotta be 30 plus years old. Probably my favorite varmint gun. Can be found for 100-150 bucks. Buying ammo these days is a whole other subject.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A .410 is what I carry but in a revolver. It also shoots 45LC's. I keep it loaded with (3) shotgun followed by (2) 45's.

taurus-judge-revolver.jpg

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hear what you guys are saying and THANKS.........That's why I keep the throw away .22 in the RTV as it is gonna just be there for months and not touched; but when I need it for varmits, dogs, or even the possible jerk it is there and ready to rock and roll......BUT....I hate to mistreat something GOOD like the "Judge" BC or have to limit myself to one shot as the valid suggestions to old shotguns advise.

Does a single shot or even a double barrel actually deter the unexpected jerk?........Yes, it would me; but I am already a vet of rounds coming at me so I tend to be leary of those situations. At the same time, I am a ask questions later kinda ol guy.......I do agree about the "untested", free, give away type of weapons and emergency rooms...........THANKS for the thoughts.......God bless.......Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hate to mistreat something GOOD like the "Judge"
I keep mine in one of those Uncle Mike's Sidekick holsters. They're padded and waterproof. I just store it in the seat behind my butt.

Does a single shot or even a double barrel actually deter the unexpected jerk?
Any 12-gauge pointed at me is a deterrent. Doesn't have the nice racking sound of a pump but it gets the point across.

There should be a lot of shotguns out there pretty cheap. Heck, you can get a new Mossberg 500 for under $300. I'd expect used shotguns that would be "beaters" to go cheap.

I'd also check on the "1908 Argentine Mauser" you have. I just did a search and:
Here's the first one I found for sale. It's $629!
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=UF101251214&uf=true

Something doesn't seem to add up from the first couple articles on the rifle. It doesn't sound like there was an 1908 Argentine Mauser. Maybe a 1909 or Brazilian? Also, most seem to be 7mm so be careful before you slap a 30-06 into it.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
YOU are RIGHT BC......1909....I just looked at it. It has the hands shaking logo of the Argentine armorer in several places and Mauser Modelo Argenteno. Then Deusche Waffen und Muntionsfabriken Berlin...........It's stamped 30.06 just below the sights on the barrel......The story I have found is that several hundred got imported into the U.S. back in the late 50's and were rechambered for the 30.06. The action is like silk and it really is a nice little carbine. Balance is good, nice sights, and just "feels" right. I guess I should find a gunsmith to take it to and have them check it out..........thanks......God bless.......Dennis

BaiJiu

You guys are so lucky to be legally able to carry guns, here in NS we can't carry any fire arm out side hunting season and then it has to be 23 cal. or bigger and no short guns ever.

As for power I use a Remington rotary clip 22 rifle because of it's short barrel to kill my pigs goats and other smaller animals, it drops a 250 pound pig one shot. The rifle is a bit awkward for killing pigs they move so much, I would love to have a 22 hand gun, it would make life a lot easier for me at slaughter time. I would so appreciate being able to legally carry my 22 on the RTV with me when I travel off my property.

pop58

BaiJiu,

You need to run for office and change the law over there in Canada. And get the NRA involved.

BaiJiu

Having the NRA involved would be good, as for running for office, not for me I don't have the time of day for politics or politicians.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The 1911 .45, is ALWAYS THERE. It's stays in shoulder holdster.
And several hunting rifles is always on hand. The rifles stay in the rifle rack above in the cab. ( Big Sky )
Can be a mixture of any caliber. From 22-250 up to the .300 Magnum.

Attachments

• Big Sky 2.jpg
    Big Sky 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 353

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
I sold twoguns argentine mauser.it was a 1891 model.I dont think he ever shot it.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
TwoGuns, seems as though the width between the side ROPS bars would limit the length of firearm placed in the Big Sky gun racks. Your thoughts and experience?

I have a rifle rack on the back screen with a savage 22mag over a 20ga best of both worlds. and on the front rack I keep my 308 rifle.

BaiJiu

You are just so lucky to be able to freely carry your guns, there is a minimum 3 year sentence here for a conviction of carrying a loaded hand gun or even if the ammo is close at hand. That goes for inside your home as well. Don't loose that privilege.