RTV 900. 2006 model

Riding on my hunting lease and all in a sudden the RTV seemed to be running over something that slowed me down. Tried to back up to take a look but as I put it in reverse and gave a little exceleration the motor quit. Tried again forward and heard a noise from rear end and it quit again. So here I am can’t go forward or reverse and as I shift in any gear and ease on the pedal I hear a noise ( cranky tranny type) and it kills instantly. There was no warning everything was working fine up to that moment.

Any ideas... is it the transmission, and why dose it kill suddenly without giving any excellaration.

Kurt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a tough one.

It almost sounds like whatever you ran over has bound something up really tight. I'd start by doing a close visual inspection of all shafts and joints to see if you picked up a rock or stick that's jammed into a joint or someplace that's got it so bound up it won't move.

Thanks......I was close to a log but didn't run over it....it just felt like something bogged me down....Question, if the tranny gave out do you think it would make the RTV kill? But yes i will most certainly look it over from one end to the other....

Kurt

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if the tranny is locked it shouldn't kill the engine as the hydro should bypass. sounds to me like something connected direct to the engine is locking enough to kill the engine. maybe a stick is against the front engine pulley? if the pumps were seized the engine shoultn't start. could be a stick or something has got caught in the hydro control linkage and hydrolocking the pumps against a closed valve that should be open.

Last edited:

ovrszd

It appears the engine uses a splined collar bolted to the flywheel. The input shaft of the HST slips into that splined collar and enters the HST. So there's really nothing there that could cause a lockup except total bearing failure on that input shaft. If that happened the engine would remain locked up and wouldn't start.

So when he activates the HST the problem occurs. If it's an internal problem it's going to be in the part of the HST that converts that mechanical rotation to hydraulic pressure.

Here's a link to a parts diagram of the engine collar/coupler.

http://www.messicks.com/ku/86217?sectionid=228051&diagramid=448195

ovrszd

Well, I don't see any other diagrams that would make much sense to this discussion. Again, if I understand correctly, the engine will start and idle. Dies when the go pedal is depressed?

My question would be, describe dies? Do mean it dies as instantly stops turning? Or do you mean it dies as if the ignition key has been turned off?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Well, I don't see any other diagrams that would make much sense to this discussion. Again, if I understand correctly, the engine will start and idle. Dies when the go pedal is depressed?

My question would be, describe dies? Do mean it dies as instantly stops turning? Or do you mean it dies as if the ignition key has been turned off?

That’s what I was wondering does it die like it’s loading the motor or lugging it down, or switch off like electrical?

OK....great info and really sorry about taking so long to get back....Last night i cleaned everything with pressure washer tranny and wheel hubs CV joints etc.... this morning my brother came over to help figure this thing out....Like i said there was no warning sign, it just felt if it was losing power and then killed...thought i ran over something...i put in reverse and gave throttle, heard noise from rear area and the motor seemed to be in a bind and then the motor killed again. Went to neutral, cranked back up (running fine) put in gear slowly gave acceleration...hear noise again (gear clanky sound) and then motor sounds stress as under a load then stops suddenly. This morning we jack the rear end up and the wheels turn freely in neutral. Put in gear and they turned again. started the RTV back up put in gear..the wheels turned for a little while then started giving me the same trouble and engine killed.....BUT...here is the new story.....as I'm trying all this again, hoping I can figure this thing out something new has happened..... with motor running and shift in gear, it acts like it's in neutral....I think something has broken because it will not go in gear anymore. Motor running, in gear....nothing happens...will not move..Now I'm really worried......if its the transmission that's really bad....$$$ I was hoping for less expensive repairs...I'm going to watch some YouTube videos....maybe its a linkage or something else....fluid and filters or good.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BUT...here is the new story.....as I'm trying all this again, hoping I can figure this thing out something new has happened..... with motor running and shift in gear, it acts like it's in neutral....I think something has broken because it will not go in gear anymore.
This sounds like it may be the shift forks but I need someone that's had this issue to confirm. Do a forum search for "shift forks". It's a relatively easy fix as I recall but then again, I've never personally had to deal with the issue.

Also confirm all linkages from the gear selector in the cab all the way back to the tranny are working properly. This is normally a 2-person job. One to move the shifter and the other to check the linkages under the hood and back at the tranny.

If it is a tranny problem wouldn't you think there would still have more going on with the shifting then absolutely nothing....I check the shift forks and let you know

thanks

ovrszd

Not sounding good. To kill the engine it has to stop the rotation of the HVT input shaft. What could do that? It would have to be farther in than just shaft bearing failure or it would display this problem as soon as the engine is started regardless of shifter or go pedal position. So it must be farther into the HVT.

Does it kill the engine regardless of what gear the HVT is in?

This is not looking good....

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From the sounds of things you might have more than one issue going on here. Wondering if you checked your hydro fluid level lately?

ovrszd

Now it wont kill the engine anymore.....wheels don't turn...read text above

Sorry, got it now. Missed that part for some stupid reason.

So whatever "broke" finally separated itself enough to stop providing drive and at the same time stopped stalling the engine. Sure sounds like mechanical failure in the HVT somewhere.....