hydraulic pump

shinnlinger

surplus center just might have somthing. If you are willing to run the PTO to run it no problem, but for more convieniance run a pulley off the crank shaft to either a pump or maybe a power steering pump from the junk yard would provide enogh GPM for you and that would be cheap.

Mith

Yup, you could belt drive one off the engine, then you are pretty much open to all types of pump. Make sure it is rated to handle the side loads of running a belt, or you can make a support bearing.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You could do it that way but I'm a strong believer in keeping it stock, to simplify future maintenance.

The original pump should be available as new, used, or a rebuild kit that a hydraulics shop can use for an overhaul.

Considering both cost and complexity of adding a belt driven pump (there isn't much room for it), restoring the original one would be my choice. Here's the new one at Hoye for $369 http://www.hoyetractor.com/Merchant...duct_Code=178075-59000-X&Category_Code=240HYD

I expect there are several importers of YM2000 (same tractor) who could provide a used pump.

It is weak. the fiter is clean. The oil is full, and it is starting to whine. Does't lift a load properly. Just don't work as good as it did when I got. If I was diagnosing all this on heavy equipment, I would rebuild the pump.

I don't think so. It has gotten worse as time goes by. I belive this tractor has been used and abused prior to me.. After being around heavy equipment sometimes I expect too much... :pat:

straycat

The Yanmar pump is cheaper than the aftermarket pumps.I can supply you with an OEM pump.
i belive i am also experiencing problems with my pump YM240-D,
i would like to know if there is a simple feild test i can preforme just to see for sure if the pump is the problem . i changed the fluid because of water build up..then my hydralics begain to act up shortly after that... .
also can i buy a pump-rebuild-kit?? . ..
please respond

Mark777

Welcome Straycat!

The pumps are not overly complicated, consisting of two helical gears, shear pin and gaskets...but they do wear out after only 25-30 years. Dead heading the pumps can sometimes produce cracks in the pump body even before shearing the pin...

Lens12 may not see your post for a while but you can contact him here for advice or assistance:Len Sheaffer - Sheaffer town and country tractor www.sheaftractor.net -

Please keep us informed about what you do next...and nice to see you join MUCH of the diy'ers.

Mark

Last edited:

lens12

testing pump

The best way to confirm the pump is bad is to plumb a pressure gauge in the line. It should have around 2000psi at full throttle. Anything under 1000psi is going to lead to very poor performance.