bear came to visit

muleman2

<div class="moz-text-flowed" style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 13px;" lang="x-western">dogs were raising hell last night but even with the spotlight i could
not see him at first. hard to see something totally black at night. he
was trying to peel up the tin roof on the one side then went to the
other side and just peeled back the wire and helped himself. guess it
is still froze in the mud so he could not just tip it over.
time to quit feeding the deer.
</div>

Deerlope

Feed it some lead. You got the right to protect your poperty. On second thought don't shoot it, just feed it like you do the deer then when hunting season rolls around get yourself a nice bear skin rug.</p>

muleman2

Talked to the warden over the weekend and it turns out the bear got that collar off in less than 5 days! he said that is the quickest he has had one rip it off. It sends out a distress signal after 4 hours of no movement then they come out and use a locator device and find it. Will try again next year if he sticks around here.</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Bears have to eat too...........LOL Not much is going to stop a hungry bear when they know there's food inside.Better keep your BB gun handy...lol</p>

muleman2

no bb gun! 30-40 krag when he's that close.I don't mind him tearing up the feeder but when he goes after the grill on the back porch that tends to p*** me off! I moved it closer to the dog kennel and he can't stand the noise of them all barking that close to him. I just have not found him in hunting season yet. The big one was right in the driveway while I was making hay 2 years ago and this little fella and his brother or sister went right between the house and barn.</p>

doggman

I worked in the arctic in the '70s. When we had a black bear that was bothering one of our research camps we had a pretty good repellant that always worked. We'd take a can of cheap shaving cream and slather it up with stawberry jam. Then we'd leave it a couple hundred feet from camp. Ol' bear would wander in and find a real treat waiting for him. Then he'd sink his teeth in that candy and get the bum's rush! You could hear 'em ballin' for miles away. It wouldn't kill him but he never would come around again. It worked every time.</p>

Now Mr. Polar Bear was a whole 'nuther story. Those Burma Shave bombs were just a snack for them. We only had to deal with one bad one and it met it's match with a .45-70. However, the paperwork was a nightmare since they were protected. I used to have have one of it's teeth but it's disappeared. It was about 4 inches long. I think one of my hippie biker friends walked off with it...</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
my dad worked in alaska back in the 70's and he used to tell me about how the bears would come around the rigs and how one even got a roughneck"poor guy" well anyways they had guys that would stand lookout with rifles and pop caps into them i guess they ate them after i don't know that was way before animal rights came around now you can only yell "shoe bear!!! please leave!!! and hope he does. and if the bear slips and falls on his way out then you got to worry about him returning with his peta attorney .i ended up with the actic suit man it's nice too i really can't wear it down here much othere than when i'm riding and just sitting still because if you start to move you get hot in it. it's designed for 50/60 below it was made by refridged wear. i have the whole suit but the gloves they wore out they was leather on the outside and white seal skin fur on the inside although with the way they kill the seals i don't think i would have wore them anymore but they was nice don't know what happened to the boots i thinkhe lent them to a buddy and never got them back.</p>

muleman2

Well the bad news is I think the bear got my 17 year old beagle. He and the jack russel got out the back door last wed. and I hunted for 4 days for him. The jack came back friday night but no sign of the beagle. I spent over 4 hrs. on the rtv and more than that in the truck looking for him. Had him since he was a pup. I got to meet every neighbor in 3 hollows but nobody has seen him. I hope he just ran himself to death trying to keep up with the jack,but who knows. 1700 acres behind me so he could be anywhere. Then yesterday the wife's favorite cat got in the kennel with the 2 jacks and was killed. Tough week.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
man me being an animal lover that really sucks for me to hear that man. i can only imagine what you was going through. one of my chihuahas got scared off and was stolen by a neighbor and she kept her for two days man i didn't sleep for them two days i was up all night and looking in every nook and cranny .i was almost about to cry sometimes just wondering what could have happened to her and if she was alright or if an owl had got her or what.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My heart goes out to you Muleman >>>> Sorry about your loss !!!
</p>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Muleman and Mrs. Muleman, I am so sorry to hear about ya'll's buddies. Most everybody on this forum has a special kinship with their 4 legged friends.I guess that goes hand in hand with our ethics and outlooks on life.</p>

Our thoughts are with each of you. Bordercollie</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i hate to even call them pets i like to call them buddies or my possie or something . but man i was thinkin about you last night again that bothers me bad about what happened to your littlebuddy.</p>

muleman2

I can't help looking for him every time the dogs bark. Was up again last night with the spotlight watching for him. Every time I come and go I watch the fields for him but no luck. Damn near put the truck in a ditch watching a cat way off in a field. Today is one week so It does not look promising.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the bear could have run her fast for a while and she's kinda lost the scent how for did you search? i know when the neighbor turned mychihuahua loose she took off away from my house and the whe the dog scared my little chihuahua she ran away from my house but it seemed she slot the scent and then got taken. but it seems unless your buddy got into a fight with the bear i would think she could easily outrun the bear and i think that she would know when to say when in a fight so she just might be out there what about a dog whisle? maybe set out some of her toys of stuff she or he had with his or her scent on it with food.and a game came for a few days if you got um!! just to see if she shows up to eat.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Muleman2,</p>

Nottrying to get hopes up.But, whenwehog hunt with dogs, sometimes we also " loose " a few . We always get a coat,shirt, socks, all of them, or something that has" your " scent on it. Lay it down where you might think is the last place ya'll seen each other. You would be surprised at how many times we have come back, even several days later, and find the hunting dog laying on or beside the coat. It's worth a try.....</p>

Yourlittle friendbeenon my mind since you toldus of this ~~~~~~~~~</p>

>>>>>>>>> jamie </p>

muleman2

Tommy: Not to bust on you but have you ever seen a bear run? They will easily outrun my rtv and not even slow down going up a steep hill. When I checkled his den last year I found 3 skeletans of either dogs or foxes. Could be what happened to the fox pups we were watching. My old beagle would run for a while and then make his way back to home no problem. He did this at 3 different farms I owned. Last year he would be so wore out we would go pick him up with the truck at the end of the back field.(1/2 mile long) I have been up and down every logging trail and road calling him and never heard him yip once. I still look but don't hold much hope. I took my ruger 9mm and checked the den on the second day he was missing but no sign of him.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear there's been no sign of him. :-(</p>

[quote user="muleman2"]I took my ruger 9mm and checked the den on the second day[/quote]</p>

Next time, can you carry something a bit more powerful? A 9mm is just going to piss him off.</p>

</p>

muleman2

[quote user="bczoom"]Next time, can you carry something a bit more powerful? A 9mm is just going to piss him off.[/quote]</p>

I know! I know! But the den is at the bottom of the powerline uder a big pile of logs that you have to climb over. I figured it was more to scare him off if he was in there than to shoot him. If I want to kill him I would take the old 30/40 krag with 220gr softnoses. that thing will tear a hole the size of your fist. I blew the horn on the rtv a couple of times going down the hill so he could clear out if he was in there.</p>