RTV 900 fuel adjustment

Adjustments are done at owners risk

With engine at OPERATING TEMPERATURE, and assuming ALL settings are correct for idle, and high idle no load, continue. Disregard items 1, 2 and 3 in picture.

Step one remove spark arrestor from exhaust pipe, clean and then reinstall, I just use brake clean and blow out with air. Make sure air filter is clean.

Step two remove item 4 with a pair of pliers, or some other clamp type tool, screw driver-- whichever. Don't **** the bed if you damage or wreck it, its a royal pain in the *** to get off and just covers the adjustment screw to prevent tampering ;)

Step three try to place a mark on the end of the screw to assist in remembering stock location and to aid in adjustment. Next you want to start in 1/8 increments turning IN, then start machine and rev the engine a couple times like you are testing out your new Flowmaster dual exhaust. What we are LOOKING FOR is a a puff of black smoke coming out of the exhaust telling us we are richening and what we are doing is working. DO NOT turn in screw more than 3/4 to 1 turn if possible, it will serve no purpose because we have no more air coming in, you will need a turbo for that.

NOTE This does change emissions. so if your state checks, you will need to take measures to put back to stock if any testing is to be performed on your unit.</p>

</p>

G

nice explination. What kind of performance gain to you get out of it?</p>

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"]</p>

nice explination. What kind of performance gain to you get out of it?</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Adds a bit more fuel underload</p>

</p>

</p>

Charles

I did this a year or so ago, and it made exactly zero difference in fuel delivery...</p>

</p>

I would love to know how to actually get some more fuel to this thing though.</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Exactly zero, that is interesting ?Something to know !!!</p>

I'm just happy the way mine is ~~~~ Got all the power needed right under my butt ~~~~~~~</p>

</p>

........... two guns </p>

</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree Two Guns. I'm leaving mine alone. I learned my lesson about fixing stuff "that ain't Broke" when I added "just a little more" lime to my tomatoes. They looked wonderful just a little blossom end rot here and way over there. I thought just a little more lime and they will look even better...............NOT!!!! I did'nt put it on all of em thank goodness..................Bordercollie</p>

Charles

</p>

Well.... when you keep running it in, in 1/4 turn increments, until you don't even have enough threads left past the jam nut to screw the little cap on anymore, and the vehicle has gained NO performance and is emitting NO smoke at ANY time....</p>

</p>

Yeah, it would appear that you are having no effect on the fuel injection quantity being delivered. The only effect noted was a higher than normal idle after a lot of turning. I put it back to normal because it didn't do jack.</p>

</p>

Also, if you feel the vehicle is sufficiently powerful in stock trim, we must not own the same vehicles. If you simply doubled the power output of mine you would be getting in the ball park on power/weight for most other utility vehicles. Or if not power to weight, maybe usable power for the given weight.</p>

How many of you have dynoed your RTV? ON THE DYNO, turning the screw on mine made precisely 0.00 additional horsepower. From a 1/4 turn all the way until it started jacking the idle up again (which was so many turns the cap wouldn't even screw on anymore, as I mentioned above).</p>

Course yours might actually be able to back up a slight hill as well. If that is the case, then we definitely aren't talking about the same machines.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="Charles"]</p>

Course yours might actually be able to back up a slight hill as well. If that is the case, then we definitely aren't talking about the same machines.</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

We definitely must be talking about two different machines. For ours, and many others in my area, can actually do more than just back up a slight hill .... </p>

There is something definitely wrong with your machine >>> These we have down here, are strong as a damn ox . They are not fast on speed, maybe 23-27 mph. ( That's fast enough 4 me anyway ) But tie on to something, and it's coming. I have a trailer, that I have put six to eight 55 gallon drums full of corn. And it pulls it like it's not even there.... And it's not just the two I have here, it's all of them I have had any dealing with. Now, I did have a friend who put some other fluid and filters on his RTV once >>>> and it went down to nothing. But quickly done another service job, and back to it's strong self again ...</p>

I know you have heard this before., things that can make a RTV get weak.... Stopped up Fuel Filters, ( and fuel filters have certain way they go on also ) using NON KUBOTA HYDRO FILTERS, NON KUBOTA FLUIDS, I would suggest going back with the SUPER UDT FLUID.Clogged up air filter, CLOGGED UP SPARK ARRESTOR.... BAD DIESEL FUEL >>>>
Have you brought it back to a dealer to have him look at it .... YES, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR UNIT IF IT CANNOT BACK UP A SLIGHT HILL >>>>>
</p>

</p>

.......... two guns

</p>
</p>
</p>

</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I load my bed as high as I can get it with firewood and have never had a lack of power. It is all uphill from where I am cutting and I have never had a problem. I climb my powerline and believe me it is steep and a long haul for even a D5 cat dozer. I can't load it as full coming up the hill or the front will lift off, but never lack for power.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
diferent units are sold to diferent parts of the country because of the diference in altitude . now you could have got one that was meant for the south at sea level and your runnin at a + sea level altitude. basicly just like carberated trucks and cars. i can take a 400hp race car and go up to colorado and get up in them mountains and that 400hp is quickly reduce to a 3hp briggs &stratton. check with your dealer to make sure you have the right settings for your part of the country. you might just need more air flow being the air is thinner or you might need more fuel . thats why drag racers always have to tune their engines for each track. but just adjusting one thing on all rtv's to me just won't cut it we just don't all live at the same level.</p>

doggman

Hi Charles,</p>

Did you check out the posting "Preliminary checks"? You might have a brake issue. </p>

[quote user="Charles"]How many of you have dynoed your RTV? ON THE DYNO[/quote] I don't know anybody that's had a RTV on the dyno. Out of curiosity, what where your results for HP, torque, and RPM? </p>

What year is your RTV? 900 or 1100? </p>

I read a review of the 3 ton Audi Q7 with the V12 diesel while I was waiting at the doctor's office yesterday. They had it up to 180 MPH (not KPH) on the Autobahn with the RPMs redlined at 4200 - which is about half the typical RPMs of a stock gas burner at that speed.We had an Audi Allroad (V6 gas 2 turbos) with a different chip that would do about 160 at 7 grand. </p>

I think if you want to go fast in a Kubota you'll have to change the gearssince it has a low RPM/high torque engine - which is unlike all the other UTVs. </p>

[quote user="Charles"]Course yours might actually be able to back up a slight hill as well[/quote]</p>

Similiar experience. The other day with my back wheels at the bottom of an abrupt incline, the only way to get it to back up was to move slightly forward and take a run at it. At the same time though my 900 (04/130hrs) had no difficulty skidding an elm tree out of the woods with the 16inch trunk of the tree digging a gouge into the ground as it was snaked along. The engine didn,t even show any sign of struggle and seemed like it would pull for ever. My opinion is the difficulties some times attributed to engine lack of power is really the fault of the transmission and the peculiar way it functions. Feels like trying to pull a heavy load while starting out in high gear in a manual transmission tractor. Maybe the bota design engineers will ask some of us owners what we'd like to see changed before they bring out the next generation. I,d personally like to see a clutch between the engine transmission to eliminate the shifting issues and a pedal on the floor for selecting reverse (like a hydro tractor) to simplify shuttle work. </p>

My little bota "Turtle" despite its quirkiness is a real little workhorse. If I could slap the drive train from my B1700 into it, it would be perfect for my application.</p>

zenchal26

Charles sound like you have something wrong there. I boughtmy 04second hand, and what a slug. Any kind of hill and you had to put it in low, and talk about sticky shifting. Luckly the shifting fork inside the trans snapped one day while I was going to go groom some snowmobile trails. I say lucky only because it made me bring it to the dealer. After I got it back WOW it was like a different rtv. I can go up hills in high when i could only get up them in low before, and the shifting is smooth as silk. Take that thing to your dealer and let them check it out. I was going to sell mine when it came back from the dealer but now no way.</p>

[quote user="zenchal26"]</p>

Charles sound like you have something wrong there. I boughtmy 04second hand, and what a slug. Any kind of hill and you had to put it in low, and talk about sticky shifting. Luckly the shifting fork inside the trans snapped one day while I was going to go groom some snowmobile trails. I say lucky only because it made me bring it to the dealer. After I got it back WOW it was like a different rtv. I can go up hills in high when i could only get up them in low before, and the shifting is smooth as silk. Take that thing to your dealer and let them check it out. I was going to sell mine when it came back from the dealer but now no way.</p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I bet they put in the new pump and motor plates,.. the old ones were most likely warped causing excessive leakage and heat.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Charles

Hmmm.</p>

</p>

Hearing all of your results makes me think I may just have a lemon, or an early model (it's an 05) and there are things I can do to help it along a bit.</p>

</p>

Fwiw, it made decent power on the dyno. It's been a couple years now, but IIRC it was around 17.2hp or so pretty consistently. I didn't bother hooking up a tach signal so I don't know the torque output, but given the rpm the little engine is likely running at it's probably a safe bet that it's right around 35 to 40 or so ft/lbs.</p>

</p>

Also, I have always used the Kubota fluids and filters. I talked to a Kubota tech at a pull one night and he seemed fairly confident my swash plate was warped in the hydrostatic unit, being that it was the earlier (weaker) model. He also mentioned that I could adjust the pressures at the rear of the unit but being that it was already likely warped it made no sense to mess with that, and I have since forgotten where/how he said to even do it.</p>

</p>

I have a few turbochargers, any one of which I believe I could get on the machine without much trouble, but if I can't get more fuel it would be for naught.</p>

</p>

Fwiw...... I thought I would have to take it into the dealer this week as just yesterday it got stuck in reverse on me (slaps forehead). Luckily it wasn't hard to get the shifter assembly off the trans and re-align the little shift pin back into the little pockets on the shift collars. If that hadn't gone back together, and it had been something major in the trans I would have sold the machine to one of you fine gentlemen. (laughing jokingly)</p>

</p>

So most of you have don't have to just know that if you point the vehicle downhill to much, that you had better make sure there's a clear path ahead, because it will not backup from a complete stop? This used to catch me ALL THE TIME. And still gets my wife from time to time. With ours, you had better not pull down a hill forward if you can't continue driving forward, because it will NOT back back up the hill. It will not even attempt to move the tires. Even in 2wd. The engine just hits the governer and the trans temp goes to the red as the little pune refuses to put the power to the ground. Likely the warped/inefficient swash plate of my early model I suppose.</p>

</p>

Any of you know the approximate cost for a new swashplate assembly? Or a detailed description of the fix and parts required? If I could get more fuel, add a turbo, and get the trans to put the power down, I could honestly get a lot of work done with this thing. For instance, just the other day I was spraying herbicice on the fences and got "stuck" because after going through a little wash (like 1 foot across, something I could easily traverse with our golfcart) I wasn't paying close enough attention forward (as I was spraying out the side) and needed to back up to clear a turn in the fence.... Well, you guessed it.. it wouldn't back up. Just sat there and grunted and I had to take a ratchet strap to a nearby tree and THAT was enough to pull it back through the wash, but the machine itself wouldn't even move the tires in reverse to help me out. I didn't have to walk all the way back to the house, but it wasn't because the machine helped out, it was because I just happened to have a good ratchet strap and tree nearby. It's not like it tries and fails, it doesn't even try.</p>

</p>

Which sounds very different than all of your experiences. This thing is sounding like it's just a bad one. When I bought it the guy had two, and the other looked much worse than this one (this one was basically pristine). I think now it's because he couldn't get any work out of this one and sold it.</p>

</p>

Sorry for the rant, just been messing with this thing for a few years now, and it's weak, bad weak. You guys make some suggestions and cost dependent, I'll try it.</p>

</p>

</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I spray fences alot and have never had a problem reversing. I hate you have had such a bad experience. My '05 will do most of what I ask but will once in a blue moon not want to go forward in high. Then I have to change gears. I have to drive backward often to get out of a jam. I change the hydraulic fluid and filters about every 400 hrs. One you get this problem ironed out, the RTV will show you what it is made to do. I know this is like the feeling ya get when you have a tire constantly leaking down and finally getting it fixed. Well hopefully you will have that good feeling soon. Do you think your local dealer would help you out in any way, maybe talk to the guys in the back?? Bordercollie 2,800 hrs</p>

zenchal26

Charles</p>

What size tires do you have on your bota? I had 27" on mine and I could not back up a hill with the bed full of dirt. I put the 25" back on and it had no problems.</p>

Charles

</p>

I've got 26's on it now. Problem is.... with the stock tires it wouldn't back up either. And I'm not talking loaded. That would be a far off, distant dream from the reality for my RTV. The truth is, it won't back up much of anything, dead empty. The Reverse ratio is just way too high. I have thought about rigging something so I could leave it in "L" and just rotate the hydro lever to reverse instead of using the reverse ratio in the trans.</p>

</p>

The machine should spin down if it can't climb something. That would be.... tried and failed. We're still waiting for it to try something, lol.</p>

</p>

True story..... I can take my EZGO loaded with seed bags right up hills that the RTV cannot back up empty. I can stop on the hill, and take off again no problem with the EZGO. The RTV can't climb them in any way, shape or form. Running start, or any other way, you name it.</p>

</p>

To be completely honest, the only reason the RTV leaves the shed ahead of the EZGO sometimes is because the EZGO doesn't have a dump bed. That should make it clear how mine stacks up in the world. I can quite literally go places, and move things with the EZGO that I cannot with the RTV. That leads me to view the RTV as an epic fail. But I'm hoping I can replace or repair a few things and fix all that. Else it will just keep getting used for taking the trash to the road and getting the mail and such, as it does at least have decent ground speed. Well, at least as long as you don't start up a hill.</p>

Charles

Also, I'm guessing that everyone else does in fact see increased fuel injection quantity when they turn the screw in? (Thread Topic)</p>

</p>

Why does mine not respond to that? It seems like everything on this thing is messed up in some way. How about I trade with any one of you guys? You all seem more enthusiastic about it, and some of you don't seem like you need much out of a UTV anyway.</p>

</p>

(Jestingly nudges you in the ribs)</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
if you hate the rtv that much then just send it to me!!! i'll even come pick it up to take that burden off your hands i mean if the machine is that worthless to you you should be willing to just give the thing away right? you just was soon give it away so that would save you the trouble of havin to move it out the way.</p>