How Many X Models

pop58

Did you jack it up? If not you will not probably find it. If you watch the video you will see the play in the rear. The thump appears to be in the front a-arm moving 1/8 to 3/16 front to rear in the saddle. I have video of both front and rear if you would like to see it PM me your email and I will send it to you. I'd bet its there. If not you mat be the only one. Even the ones sitting at the dealer new have it

I had it off all 4's and didn't feel anything unusual. But I don't have a lot of miles on it yet.

Will be putting more miles on it and will soon be putting some tracks on the machine. I will check it again then.

I hope I am the exception but hope all will be taking care of.
I will stand behind anyone with a issue because to me good service is everything.
If you don't have good service the product means nothing.JMO

pop58

On the Kubota web site there is an email contact and a phone contact. We should all email and call and ask the same question???

pop58

Put the machine back up in the air to check for movement again.
I found there was front to back movement in the upper control arm (Item 10).
About 1/16" worth. No up or down or side to side movement.
This movement dose not bother me, it could be removed with washer shims.

Front Upper Control Arm
Front Upper Control Arm.jpg

The rear is a different story.

The rear knuckle (Item A) has movement up and down and side to side.
Just slight but more then I think necessary in my opinion.
This knuckle dose not have any grease fittings like the control arms and it is made of aluminum.
Bushings (Item 60 ) and a flange bolt (Item 70) holds it in place.
There is no front to rear movement but given how much other movement it has it most likely will later down the line.

Rear Axle Showing The Knuckle ( item A )
Rear Knuckle Case.PNG

After further inspection I would come to the conclusion the Knuckle or bushings are at fault not the control arms that hold it.

What to do about it is also another story???

Last edited:

Tailrotor

Put the machine back up in the air to check for movement again.
I found there was front to back movement in the upper control arm (Item 10).
About 1/16" worth. No up or down or side to side movement.
This movement dose not bother me, it could be removed with washer shims.

Front Upper Control Arm
View attachment 8256

The rear is a different story.

The rear knuckle (Item A) has movement up and down and side to side.
Just slight but more then I think necessary in my opinion.
This knuckle dose not have any grease fittings like the control arms and it is made of aluminum.
Bushings (Item 60 ) and a flange bolt (Item 79) holds it in place.
There is no front to rear movement but given how much other movement it has it most likely will later down the line.

Rear Axle Showing The Knuckle ( item A )
View attachment 8257

After further inspection I would come to the conclusion the Knuckle or bushings are at fault not the control arms that hold it.

What to do about it is also another story???

Pop
Thanks for the IPC break down this really helps highlight this problem. That is the same place ours has play at work.

To me it should be a simple matter of resizing the bushing and making a closer tolerance bolt and bushing to take the slop out and prevent premuture ware and failure of the wheel hub.

This is a wide spread problem and probley affects all the new models (x) this is the reason Kubota is so quiet about it. But I am sure they are working behind the scenes to resolve this as fast as they can, because if they are not going to do something about this , I would never buy or recommend one of these new units to any of my friends or family like this. And sales will decline if they haven't already. The internet is a powerful tool.

Hope the fix is in soon.

BaiJiu

So many of you guys have nailed this problem and suggested fixes, seems like a simple and fairly cheap fix; why is Kubota ignoring this? I hope all that radioactivity over there isn't affecting intelligence.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
So many of you guys have nailed this problem and suggested fixes, seems like a simple and fairly cheap fix; why is Kubota ignoring this? I hope all that radioactivity over there isn't affecting intelligence.

I agree with you BaiJiu, why is Kubota ignoring this..... !!!

My question is. Don't they "test fire" these things anymore. It should have NEVER made it to the customer. NEVER !!!!!
Without a doubt, if they would have put these machines to the test. They would have seen this. This just didn't "pop up" !!!

........... two guns

BaiJiu

Thanks Two Guns, I, like you thought the testing before a new release was relentless with a safety factor X's 3. I can understand walking wounded from a misunderstood new design/technology but this is out right failure to every design standard in existence. The Asian community is supplying more and more parts for what we use to consider luxury items but now are daily use items, planes, trains and automobiles and most of our medical supplies. Do you feel good about this?

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Pops,
What you are showing there would indicate to me that the plastic bushings #40 and #60 are wearing out prematurely.

I just replaced all the same bushings on a Polaris ATV 2006. Eight years old.

These are common wear items, but not at the wear levels you are seeing here.

Must be too soft a plastic bushing material.

Good quality urethane bushings like those used in car sway bars would fix the issue.

Kubota might have underestimated the wear/pressure on these item.

Should be an easy fix with stronger bushings.

A machinist could make bronze bushings, then add grease nipples and problem solved.

rapracing

Pops,
What you are showing there would indicate to me that the plastic bushings #40 and #60 are wearing out prematurely.

Good quality urethane bushings like those used in car sway bars would fix the issue.

A machinist could make bronze bushings, then add grease nipples and problem solved.

Unfortunately, I guess, it is not a wear issue. Brand new units on the show room floor are doing the same thing. It is a design issue. They need to redesign the rear hub assembly or how it is attached to the suspension. I think what has happened they have left a thousandth here and 2 or three there for tolerance and by the time it gets to the outside of the tire it amounts to 3/8 to 1/2 of play designed right into the unit.

Unfortunately, I guess, it is not a wear issue. Brand new units on the show room floor are doing the same thing. It is a design issue. They need to redesign the rear hub assembly or how it is attached to the suspension. I think what has happened they have left a thousandth here and 2 or three there for tolerance and by the time it gets to the outside of the tire it amounts to 3/8 to 1/2 of play designed right into the unit.

Absolutely Rap!

By the way, my dealer hasn't had a response from Kubota since last Wednesday when he told them my X-1100 was on its way in. Go figure???

This situation reminds me of a Freddy Fender song "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights"!!!!!!

lol

pop58

Pops,

I would have to agree with rapracing.
There is not enough wear on the machines to warrant this kind of movement.

I have been machining parts for over 30 years and it would take a lot of time to get this kind of movement.
I suspect they started out this way.

Now if this is by design then IMO it is not so good of a design.
The one thing you can't do with aluminum that will be in a wet environment is make the tolerance to tight, it will corrode and seize up.

Item#40 is the shaft seal.
Not sure if the bushings item#60 are plastic or not.
When I get a bit more time and the weather warms up I will further investigate to determine if it is the bushings or the pin the rides in the bushings.
It would help if we had the tolerances of each item.

rapracing

Well mine left here a little while ago. They are tearing it down with the factory rep on Wednesday. The dealer is very understanding. He agrees that it should not have the movement that it does. He said because of the design it has to have movement there or u-joints will bind up if it doesn't and that would be just as bad or worse (IMHO) He does thinks that it could be designed much better however to get rid of the play.

Seems shims will be the fix for the front end problem.

It is to be back here on Thursday or Friday. I guess that will depend on what the rep decides needs to be done.

pop58

This will be interesting.

I hope they check the movement before they take it apart, they will see what the cause most likely is.

I disagree with the rep when he said "it needs that movement for the U-Jounts" I don't think it needs that movement.

If they don't come up with something then I guess we will come up with something. And if that happens then Kubota will not like that because everyone in the world will know that we had to fix there problem. Ill see to that.
But lets give them a chance.