Cub Cadet sputters under load / dies

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend has a cub cadet riding mower. First mow of season.
He has to jump it to start as the battery is shot.
Starts and runs okay. Fires up the mower deck, runs okay for a bit and then sputters and dies. Shuts down mower deck mower runs fine, no issues.

He takes off the deck, greases spindles checks belts all appear okay. Puts it back on has to jump mower again ....but once running he has the exact same result.

Any ideas on what might be the issue?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whenever this happens to me, it's almost always a fuel issue. Bad gas, clogged fuel filter or gummed up carb.

I'd suggest changing the gas, inspect or replace fuel filter and using either additive in the fuel or gumout into the carb, try to get that cleaned up some.

While looking at the fuel system, also check the fuel lines for any cracks or rot that may be letting air get in. Air being pulled in changes the mix and it sucks more air than fuel giving similar results.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Whenever this happens to me, it's almost always a fuel issue. Bad gas, clogged fuel filter or gummed up carb.

I'd suggest changing the gas, inspect or replace fuel filter and using either additive in the fuel or gumout into the carb, try to get that cleaned up some.

While looking at the fuel system, also check the fuel lines for any cracks or rot that may be letting air get in. Air being pulled in changes the mix and it sucks more air than fuel giving similar results.

I agree.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I thought maybe the battery was causing it. I think he is going to replace the battery first since he has to do that no matter the issue and then tackle the fuel issues if a battery does not solve things.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fires up the mower deck, runs okay for a bit and then sputters and dies. Shuts down mower deck mower runs fine, no issues.
If it were electrical, what I put in bold wouldn't occur. If you have an electrical issue and the mower didn't like it, it quits immediately.

It's really sounds like it's starving for fuel. ;)

Just went through something similar with a friend. He got a 1971 Deere garden tractor. Ran "just OK" until it got a load on it then it struggled. Put Seafoam in the gas, gumout through the carb then ran it hard. It sputtered for about 5 minutes but then started running better. After 20-30 minutes of run time, it now sounds like new.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bad fuel is most likely.

Barely-adequate ignition is a less likely possibility, if it cuts out under load. Burned points, bad coil, dirty plugs, bad plug wires. My Subaru sounded like that at 110 k miles / 14 years; new coil and wires made it like new again.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If it were electrical, what I put in bold wouldn't occur. If you have an electrical issue and the mower didn't like it, it quits immediately.

It's really sounds like it's starving for fuel. ;)

Just went through something similar with a friend. He got a 1971 Deere garden tractor. Ran "just OK" until it got a load on it then it struggled. Put Seafoam in the gas, gumout through the carb then ran it hard. It sputtered for about 5 minutes but then started running better. After 20-30 minutes of run time, it now sounds like new.

SEAFOAM is GREAT!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well he got a new battery and mowed for 45 minutes with no issues. He is going to run some seafoam through his tank also, but has not done that yet.
Thanks for the thoughts / ideas on this issue.

fla45fan

Seafoam IS Great!! Every year at the beginning of the season I put it in the gas tanks of every machine. The motorcycle loves it. But I never thought about the tractor. What to put in a diesel engine?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Seafoam IS Great!! Every year at the beginning of the season I put it in the gas tanks of every machine. The motorcycle loves it. But I never thought about the tractor. What to put in a diesel engine?
I just fired up my tractor the other day, and I put sea foam in before starting. It is a diesel engine and had the normal knocks for a cold diesel engine. The engine was the quietest and smoothest it had ever been. I'm properly impressed.

The same Seafoam that goes in your gas engine can go in your diesel engine. I bought a few more cans yesterday as I have a car I am bringing out of storage and I'm guessing it would be a good think for my daily driver that has 188k on it.

fla45fan

Well, I'll be darned. I am just going to have to try it out. I just got back home last week and I have to get the tractor, car, and the motorcycle all out of storage.