overheating!

herman48

My RTV 1100 is overheating. I had routine maintenance done at the dealer's and then it sat in the garage for a long time. Last Saturday when I went dove hunting it overheated. I noticed when I lifted the hood that there was a strong smell... of mice. Could mice have made a nest somewhere in the cooling system? The front radiators were both hot, so the coolant must be circulating. I looked for the fan but didn't see it. Could it be in that enclosure behind the radiators? I checked the air filter and it's clean--no mice there. The radiators are all plumb full, even the one on the side. By the way, I wasn't the only one that noticed the smell of mice. When I opened the door there was a good-sized rat snake coiled on the driver's seat. He jumped out with little persuasion necessary. I don't mind having him in the garage...
I am not mechanically inclined. How hard is it to remove (and to replace afterwards) that pan that I think encloses the fan? I would like to take the whole dang thing to the dealer, but I don't have a trailer wide enough to load the RTV on and every time I need to borrow one from a friend. But he's using it to move to a different location.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Go to the Messick's eqpt site and sign in with email address so you can view the diagrams of your particular model. I'm not familiar with the new ones. If it were mine, I would guess that those little devils ate the fan wires and perhaps thats why it ran hot. what is your 1100 's year and "call letters" ? collie

edit http://www.messicks.com/ku/90479 When you sign in, chose the category of interest from the categories on the left side of the "frequently used items" page that will be displayed.- like cooling system and you will see diagrams of the fan etc.

Last edited:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
On my x1100 there is a cover over the fan right behind the radiator. I'll +1 to Judy, is the fan even running? You can take the cover off and check it or when it's over heating shut the unit off and then turn the key on with out starting it and you should here the fan blowing. Is it really over heating or did the furry buggers chew some wires on your panel, etc. they go to wires like a duck to water.

ovrszd

Since you said the radiator is full, and you didn't mention steam and antifreeze puking out of the burp tank I'm questioning whether it's actually overheating?? My gauge runs real close to the red if I'm in the throttle much, especially on warm days.

I'm guessing the mouse smell is their urine and poo on objects that warmed up when you operated the machine.

As to the radiator fan. If the machine is truly hot, and you shut off the engine, then turn on the key without starting the engine, you should hear the fan running.

Hope we can figure it out so you can continue to use the machine!!!!

ovrszd

On my x1100 there is a cover over the fan right behind the radiator. I'll +1 to Judy, is the fan even running? You can take the cover off and check it or when it's over heating shut the unit off and then turn the key on with out starting it and you should here the fan blowing. Is it really over heating or did the furry buggers chew some wires on your panel, etc. they go to wires like a duck to water.

Sorry, I should have read down, I echoed your description of how to see if the fan is working......

herman48

No, there was no steam or fluid burping out. And it was a very warm day, and I was indeed in the throttle much. I'll check the whole thing again. I sure hope Lucky (the snake) gets those bastards.

P.S.
Is the cover meant to keep fools like me from getting their fingers chopped off?

ovrszd

No, there was no steam or fluid burping out. And it was a very warm day, and I was indeed in the throttle much. I'll check the whole thing again. I sure hope Lucky (the snake) gets those bastards.

P.S.
Is the cover meant to keep fools like me from getting their fingers chopped off?

By your followup description I don't think you have any mechanical problem.

I think "Lucky" needs some help.

As to the P.S.,,,, yes.... :)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
since you have a front radiator i will assume you have an X1100C of 2014 vintage or later. if it isn't an X model but just an 1100 then we need to have a different discussion because the older model only has one radiator and it is on the side. well on my X1100 the fan kicks on when the temp gauge reads three bars and i have never had it go above three bars. also the fans on the front and rear radiators all kick on when the air conditioner is turned on, so you can check their function that way.

herman48

I have had mice chew through wires. I would check the wiring to the fan. and make sure it is turning on.

I think I'll take it to the dealer's and let someone take a look at it. I am not even all thumbs, as each one of my hands ends in 5 big toes... An example? Last year I noticed that my Argo's ignition was erratic. At times it started, at times it wouldn't. I lifted the hood and noticed sparks at the starter. One of the two wires connected to it was loose. I took a wrench and began to tighten the nut, but I accidentally touched the other terminal with the wrench. Noise, big spark, and everything went dead. :pat: I had to use the winch (that fortunately still worked) to load the Argo onto the trailer and haul it to a competent mechanic's. A friend of mine a long time ago gave me the nickname "Master of Disaster." He must have had a reason...
Being that my Kube is a more complex and expensive piece of equipment, I think I'll abstain from performing even very minor surgery on it, even though--thank Goodness--machines can't sue you for malpractice--yet. Besides, if indeed the wires have been chewed by mice, I would not be able to replace them.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I would normally not get the dealer involved if I know what I am doing. But I have been where you are on many things - and I think getting it to the dealer in this case makes good sense. And if you can learn something from the tech for next time, so much the better.

I remember reading one of the exclusions on the Kubota insurance coverage is "infestations" which translated means rodent damage. Apparently they can do substantial damage, even in places you can't see.

Good plan herman. I try to walk away a little smarter after finding out what they did to fix it for you.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Those little furry scum buckets ate some of the electric wires on my late Mama and Daddy's little pickup. sorry good for nuthin' critters !! :14_6_12::14_6_12::14_6_12::14_6_12::14_6_12: x12 !!! collie

herman48

Unfortunately my garage is also where I keep chicken and horse feed and it's a magnet for mice. I have poison everywhere but obviously they prefer the horse and chicken feed. I wish I could catch a dozen rat snakes and put them in the garage.

I had the temperature sensor go bad on mine last year. The fan wouldn't come on and it did over heat and when it does an alarm goes off.

It did not boil over or smoke or anything even through the alarm was going off.

herman48

I had the temperature sensor go bad on mine last year. The fan wouldn't come on and it did over heat and when it does an alarm goes off.

It did not boil over or smoke or anything even through the alarm was going off.
This convinces me even more to have the dealer look at it.