I can't believe I

botree

don't know how to swap universal joints!!! The shaft from the output spline of the PTO to the square rod from the bush hog got into a fight with the drawbar and the drawbar won. Chewed the hollow shaft in two. Now that I have a new shaft to put on the output of the PTO I realized I have no idea how to take the old yoke off the ruined shaft not to mention put the new shaft on the old yoke. Do I have to buy a new universal joint or is there some way to use the old yoke by connecting it to the new shaft? The old snap rings were broken when I was trying remove them.
I hope someone can direct me to a web site that will lead me thru the pro-
cedure for replacing the universal joint so my wife can get back to cutting the jungle left from not being able to cut for a couple of years.
Any help will be appreciated and thanks...Bo

botree

do you need pics to see what I am talking about? the part that slides on to the PTO spline on the tractor is connected to a shaft with a universal joint. the other side of the universal joint is a normally hollow tube that the square rod from the bush hog slides into by way of a welded piece that has a square section 5" or so inches long. the universal joints are just like the ones on your car or truck the connect the transmission to the differential. we have all probably seen a vehicle sitting on the side of the road with one end of the drive shaft on the ground. the universal has come apart and dropped to the ground. since I need to take the universal joint off to either replace it or move it I need to know how to separate the joint. I will need new clips to hold everythig together, but how do you separate thhe two piees of the joit?
simple as a piece of pie except for the fact thar I don't know how!!!
Thanks...Bo Whalen

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
New u joints are around $20 each (for the 397) depending on where you buy them . You probably need new ones . This is a good video on installing the joints and is very clear. I hope it helps you. The tapping on the joint as he demonstrated really smooth things out. just be careful not to let any pins fall when putting the caps on. bordercollie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNu4R7rvyEg