Oil Cooler being added to RTV

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Many of you know that I added hydraulic cylinders to my weed wiper so it would be more efficient. The original design had long bolts on each side to adjust the height. It would be about impossible not to get the weed killer on your good grass when moving from one area to another. and it was silly how much time it took to do the adjustments , especially since the nuts could only be turned a partial turn at a time.
I went out the on the first run with my new setup and had to keep the height of the cylinders 1/2 in between so there was always flow and the oil got really hot. My tank was not melted or anything like that but I decided not to run it again till I did the cooler addition for the hydraulic feature of the RTV. I decided to add this additional cooler with a fan so I could give it my best shot at it working like I needed. The XTR models of 900s come with an added cooler under the seat but it is only for the transmission and not the hydraulic lift. I was working on it the other day- changing oil and greasing when duh it hit me .. that cooler has nothing to do with the lift, only the transmission..:pat: duh duh duh.. No wonder it was getting hot.. Then I remembered that the utility models have a little cooler above the hitch................. Of coarse....:pat:
So anyways, I ordered a cooler with fan, thinking I could mount it by the battery and remove the panel there. I decided it was just too risky what with all the sticks out there waiting to cause me grief so I am mounting it under the hood above where the glove box would be if I had one. I cut a piece of expanded metal to fit the fan and cooler brackets and just laid it in with cable ties for a dry run. I have the extra oil hose in 1/2" to go to the back and all I have to do is get some time to hook up the hose from the cooler to the back tank and I will be ready for a test. I also am adding a thermostat that will turn the fan . I will post pictures as I can but need to do farm work and make another trip to Ark to do some work on the house next week. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a picture of the cooler and fan under the hood of the RTV.

Attachments

• DSCF4471.jpg
    DSCF4471.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 662

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I had a feeling you were up to something since you've not been posting lately. Where did you obtain your engineering degree? That college did a GREAT job!

Assuming you continue to use the mule, as you call it, please ensure the hose fitting are covered to keep dust, seed, etc of of the fitting that might cause flow blockage.

Folks, Bordercollie is one IMPRESSIVE LADY and none more kinder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As always, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
we use some stuff called wax tape after we connected all the hoses we would wrap them with wax take to keep them from rusting and coroding .i'll look around here to see if i have any left and i'll get the name of it for ya. good work on the fitting nd instlation on that cooler.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Pepr and Peanut. I appreciate that. I am still not myself and have been fairly quite on the forum because of that since the loss of my "buddy" .
Not to worry Pepr, I had plastic plugs and duct tape over the ends to keep foreign matter out while I waited to hook up the hoses. You can see one of the pieces of duct tape I removed over behind the fittings in the picture. I pulled them off to show the ends. This fan and cooler has the 8 AN fittings and comes with adapters that make it into 1/2" barbs. It took a little less that 20 ft of transmission hose to run from the front to the back and back to the front. It is amazing how much fluid those hoses hold so I will add to get it right before using the controls. I also hooked up the electric fan and gave her a try by bypassing the thermostat .Nice flow and quiet too. My favorite is the Flex-a-lite brand but this different brand is ok I guess- it does seem to have a slight wobble so I will keep my eye on it. bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Any pics of the weed wiper attached to the RTV?

Would be nice to see what you have as I'm not familiar with that equipment.

Any concerns about the heat from the cooler affecting things under the hood?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Cooler Works

Sure Spudhauler,here is a link to the original thread back when I got the weed wiper. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13128&highlight=weed+wiper
I hooked up the weed wiper today and tried out the cooler function. It worked really well. The very first time I ran the wiper with no cooler( and I used the hydraulic cylinders on the weed wiper with the RTV hook up), the hydraulics on the RTV got very hot to touch. Then I feared that I would get into the "melted tank" scenario as others had had it happen to them. That began my add the cooler (or eat the hydraulic hoses and cylinders I had already bought and used)venture.
The hydraulic cylinders ran up and down and half in between depending on the weed population and the fan never even kicked on- the cooler itself had enough surface area added that the temperature averaged around 125 degrees. One reading is of the tank and the other is of the valve. If memory serves correctly ,then the thermostat kicks on the fan at 175 degrees. The RTV transmission itself ran 153. I checked that for the heck of it. I didn't check the temps during the first run because I didn't have access to this infrared temperature thingy. Here are a few pictures. I used it for 4 hrs this afternooon and took the readings immediately after stopping.
bordercollie
edit: You can tell in the picture that I spilled some hydraulic oil when I filled the tank -it's not a leak though. Oh yes, the hood above the cooler stayed normal temperature spudhauler. Thanks for asking.

Attachments

• DSCF4475.jpg
    DSCF4475.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF4474.jpg
    DSCF4474.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCF4476.jpg
    DSCF4476.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 608
  • DSCF4477.jpg
    DSCF4477.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 612

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
hydraulic ends for the RTV

I found these quick disconnect ends for the wiper hoses off ebay . They were new and priced at 4 for $40 with the protective coverings. I was told you can get them at NAPA as well. I just looked for the H2-63 and they popped up. They are not Kubota, they are Parker brand. bordercollie

Attachments

• 0706121506a.jpg
    0706121506a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 610

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
hey brdercollie i think i have a few of them fittings i'll look for them and if i find them i'll ship them to ya .

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i found 4 sets of quik connects ans flow valves . if you ever need a spare or one gives out on ya just give me a hollar and i'll drop them in the mail for ya.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the ones i have are made by parker and they have ssh2-62 on the females and the males have sh2-63 on them .next time anyone needs a hydraulic fitting or hose please contact me i might just have one why spend money if you can get it free.lol i'm always glad to help out our members but to get something free you have to have a few post i don't want just a fly through guy coming in here to grab a quick part and never post or come back again.you have to be a contributing member to get the free rewards.lol

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
the ones i have are made by parker and they have ssh2-62 on the females and the males have sh2-63 on them .next time anyone needs a hydraulic fitting or hose please contact me i might just have one why spend money if you can get it free.lol i'm always glad to help out our members but to get something free you have to have a few post i don't want just a fly through guy coming in here to grab a quick part and never post or come back again.you have to be a contributing member to get the free rewards.lol

You are a kind person Peanut to offer those . I have a backup set for now , but I sure thank you for looking out for me. bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Need more pics BorderCollie!!!

Some of the cyl's on the weed wacker device and some of the hook up under the box for the oil cooler.

I was going to warn you about the high pressure side being 2500 psi but realized you are too smart to do that and you must have this hooked to your return low pressure side of the hyd pump. It was another one of my dah moments. At 62 they seem to happen more often.

Then I was wondering why you need to keep adjusting with the lever. My plow set would stay in position all day so no heat generated on the RTV1100 system. Is it because of the cyl you are using? Or do you constantly adjust for height when spraying?

Then I thought of cooler location. Racers would mount it up behind the drivers head on the screen that protects the rear window, or on the passenger side. Behind your head would be best because we never look there very often, more often using the right side of the rear window for backing up purposes.

Is your fan reversible? Some show they can be pushing or pulling air. But it your case, might not be an issue.

Steel mesh you use for mounting is a great idea.

When you get it all sorted out, you'll need to puts some ties on the hoses and make it look tidy and neat.

We are WATCHING :wall:

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Ill keep them ina box and go throuhg allthe other fittinhs i got and if you ever need them you know whsre they are .peanut

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Peanut. Spudhauler- yea, low pressure side for sure. I used the same type transmission oil hose as what I replaced -just a lot longer to get to the cooler. I don't want to mount it on the rear screen because I am always looking behind me- left and right and dont want it in the way. I get aggravated at my smv sign because in is in the way wherever I put it . I opted for under the hood with the cooler. If I had it to do over again, I would just get the small cooler and mount it above the hitch like with the utility models. Usually though , I get bit because I try to go cheap and have to re buy so I over bought this time. I also had the hyd hoses made too long for the same reason- Years ago, I was trying to save money and got some heavy wire too short- had to splice it and then it ended up costing more. I do wish I had made the lines between the cylinders a couple of inches shorter- maybe next year I will buy a new end or coupling and have them shortened between the cylinders. That bothers me too.
This fan is reversable- I did a replacement on the '05 model RTV radiator fan and saved a lot of $$$$ over the kubota one a year or so before I sold it. That Flex-a-lite fan cooled better than the oem. There is a post on here somewhere about that. It could also be reversed as well by changing the blade around and reversing the wire.
I am always adjusting the height from ground level to a few inches to a ft on the wiper depending on the weeds/grass. It rarely stays in the same height more than a few minutes. I will post some pictures soon. Thanks, bordercollie

Heatwave

BC: I hate to ask dumb questions, but I've done it so many times it no longer bothers me. Please tell me how your weed wiper uses hydraulic power. Do you lift the wiper off the deck using hydraulics--lift it to a stow position, as when hauling the rig around the farm? Do you control the wiper's height above the ground using hydraulics? I was a PE major ... and easily confused.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Yes i remember reading your rad fan problem and thought it was a great solution.
Having worked on similar mod projects, i know what you mean by buying something and trying to make it work. It's real hard to get everything just right the first time around.
Others will benefit from reading your projects for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BC: I hate to ask dumb questions, but I've done it so many times it no longer bothers me. Please tell me how your weed wiper uses hydraulic power. Do you lift the wiper off the deck using hydraulics--lift it to a stow position, as when hauling the rig around the farm? Do you control the wiper's height above the ground using hydraulics? I was a PE major ... and easily confused.

Thanks Spudhauler. Heatwave, there are no dumb questions here. The weed wiper is around 9 ft wide. It is basically a "tube or pipe" coated with indoor /outdoor carpet and it rotates with pillow block bearings holding the tube to the wiper frame. - a ground driven belt from a pulley on one of the wheels makes it turn-- backwards. Supposedly, it makes better weed contact that way and doesn't pull them under the hood. Under the aluminum hoods are a series of "T "jets that spray the carpeted tube on demand (push button hand control)with the herbicide in the tank via a 12 v pump.
I use the cylinders to adjust the height of the roller pipe so I can make contact with the bad weeds and down to the last inch if the weeds are just worthless. I have a cylinder on each end to adjust the height above the grass... One would do like on a disc, if the frame was heavier.
Today, I remembered I had the angle iron frame I used my spiedel wiper on and rigged it to help hold the hyd hoses and my smv sign which I need when going down this country road. I cut 2 pieces of thin plate and welded them to that angle iron and then bolted it to my roto wiper . I wiped for 2 hrs this evening. It worked well so I may just paint it. bordercollie

Attachments

• 0822121850.jpg
    0822121850.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 569
  • 0822121914.jpg
    0822121914.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 568
  • 0822121110.jpg
    0822121110.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 568

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
bump for luvbus . Here are a few pictures you may not have seen yet. I also need to correct were I said there were some T jets under the hood.. They are just the emitter type . bordercollie