hydraulic oil level

erby39

l have been loaned a John Deere 2030 tractor that works just fine for 20 minutes then the hydraulics become very intermitent,:eek:wner has said a local farmer added oil to the axle. I have check the oil level and find that the oil level is right at the top of the stick could this be causing the problem I am having?

erby39

Thanks bordercollie,I dont know what oil was used, but my query is if too much oil could cause the problem I have as the oil level is at the top of the dipstick.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure, I was just thinking... was it clean, the right viscosity/grade. He musta not known what he was doing to overfill like that. If the wrong oil was used, it would cause things to act weird in many cases. The specs are on the jugs. It might need a whole fluid and filter change?. Would if it were mine, Full to the neck? too much oil. Wonder why he added....where it was leaking...Once got water in our 7440 and had to drain it and change filter . also had to take off the pipe under there to make sure all moisture was removed and then after a good days use, changed it all again. We make sure now that the oil is kept in a dry room away from blowing rain..
It could be something else but was just going to throw that out there.Others will chime in with different possibilities. good luck bordercollie

Last edited: