Hand Throttle

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have read where some of you have added a hand throttle to your RTV. This is of particular interest to me because part of my RTV's job when I get it is to pull a DR field and brush mower. The property is hilly and sometimes bumpy.

If you have this, would you please let me know where it mounts and your experience with it?

And after reading everyone's experience with the 1100s, I am now on the fence about this 1120. Air and heat would be sweet and extend my work season.

Thanks

ovrszd

The hand throttle is simply an engine throttle to set the engine rpms at a fixed speed. Just like a hand throttle on a tractor. You still have to control ground speed with the foot pedal, just like an HST tractor without cruise control.

On my 900 the hand throttle knob is to the left side of the driver's seat near the hydraulic bed dump lever. Sorry I don't have a pic.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply.

So if you don't add the hand throttle, the engine RPMs are managed by the engine based on how much foot throttle you apply, correct?

ovrszd

Thanks for the reply.

So if you don't add the hand throttle, the engine RPMs are managed by the engine based on how much foot throttle you apply, correct?

Yes. It's actually a very simple setup. The foot pedal cable goes back near the engine and then splits. After that split there are two cables being moved by the pedal. One goes to the fuel injector. One goes to the HVT lever.

By adding the hand throttle kit you now have a direct connection to the engine injector lever. Pull the hand throttle knob and lock it into a specific position and you have pre-determined the engine rpm. The RTV will simply sit there with the engine revving at whatever setting you established. You have not exerted any force on the HVT lever. Still requires the foot pedal to do that and establish a speed.

I know of no "cruise control" system that can be added to regulate ground speed.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
At the risk of showing my ignorance, what does that direct control of the throttle do for you on an RTV if you have to manage the pedal anyway?

I can imagine its value on a tractor with HST.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I haven't had my rtv very long but I use the hand throttle for cold starting and warming the engine up. I could also imagine using it while hauling heavy loads slowly on incline or dumping something heavy also if you use attachments like the pull saw or snow blower sweeper. The owners manual mentions using the throttle for cold starting I think

ovrszd

At the risk of showing my ignorance, what does that direct control of the throttle do for you on an RTV if you have to manage the pedal anyway?

I can imagine its value on a tractor with HST.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

I use it to increase useable HP/Torque. By running the engine wide open throttle while only applying a small amount of HVT it increases the machine's ability to climb or pull heavy loads.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Thanks Gentlemen - I am convinced.

I assume that you can use your foot pedal to control both if you want. My Wife says she is not coordinated enough for the hand throttle. So as long as she has the factory pedal, she is happy.

Grateful for the info.

ovrszd

Yes. For example, if for some reason you wanted the engine rpm to stay at half throttle. Set the hand throttle to the desired engine speed. Then run the foot pedal to adjust ground speed. If you push the foot pedal past the designated engine rpm it will speed up the rpm setting as well as ground speed just like it does without the hand throttle being set. Has no other affect on the performance of the foot pedal.

Here's a pic of the hand throttle knob on my 900. Knob has a spring loaded button on the top. Push the button and pull the knob to the desired setting. Let go of the button and it will stay there. For fine adjustments twist the knob one direction to speed up, other direction to slow down the engine rpm. To release push the button and let the knob go back to idle setting. Very nice setup and easy to use.

Attachments

• 20161210_094910 (1280x720).jpg
    20161210_094910 (1280x720).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 310

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
That is enormously helpful, thank you. Sounds like a no-brainer option to include when I get my 1120. I am anxious to see if they are any different for 2017.

Thanks again everyone.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is enormously helpful, thank you. Sounds like a no-brainer option to include when I get my 1120. I am anxious to see if they are any different for 2017.

Thanks again everyone.
I finally added the 'hand throttle' and love it. It truly is a no brainer, especially if you have hilly terrain to traverse. I can now cruse at an acceptable speed up my hills with no issues. If I had to go to L to come up the hills I would be cruising at slower than one wants in between. So M all the way, thanks to the hand throttle. It really should be default equipment on all RTVs IMHO.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone found a source for a hand throttle kit for the X900? I can find the one for the pre 2014 900 models, but have yet to find one for the X900s. Perhaps the pre 2014 kit will work, but I have not found a reference to this.

ovrszd

Has anyone found a source for a hand throttle kit for the X900? I can find the one for the pre 2014 900 models, but have yet to find one for the X900s. Perhaps the pre 2014 kit will work, but I have not found a reference to this.

When I bought mine I got it thru the Kubota dealer and it came as a Whole Goods Kit. I would assume your dealer could hook you up.

I believe I have read of owners building their own kit. Might be an option for you. I'm a factory install type guy so always go for the Kubota kits.

Instruction manual lists it as "Hand Throttle Kit (K7561-9945-0) (KTC W/G #V4241). Says it is for the RTV900. That second kit number is the Whole Goods (W/G) number.

Here's a link to the thread I posted about my install for reference if interested.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16686

ovrszd

Check that last post in that thread I linked.

Poke says he got a kit for his 2014 x900 and gives the kit number. #V5241.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Check that last post in that thread I linked.

Poke says he got a kit for his 2014 x900 and gives the kit number. #V5241.

Thanks OVRSZD, I have searched for the #V5241 with no luck. I have not checked with the dealer, but will. Was hoping to find proof that a source exists. It is a rather simple device, but I'd feel better to know that one is available so I can confirm that this type of thing works well with the X900. The search continues1

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got mine many years ago but was thinking it was in the $60-70 range. Not sure what they are now but hoping that's still in the ballpark.

628pm

Site Supporter
If I remember right I paid less than $100.00 for mine last year. If you are buying a new RTV, have the dealer install it before you purchase.

I bought a cab, heater, wipers for my X900 after I purchased mine. Thought I would add items as I saved the cash for it, don't like to borrow if I can keep from it. But adding up all of the expenses, I should of just bought the x1100c. This is just my opinion.

ovrszd

I bought a cab, heater, wipers for my X900 after I purchased mine. Thought I would add items as I saved the cash for it, don't like to borrow if I can keep from it. But adding up all of the expenses, I should of just bought the x1100c. This is just my opinion.

That's my dilemma. Bought my 900 used for a very good price. Now would like a good cab. Might be dollars ahead to sell my 900 and buy a used machine with factory cab??