First Time Buyer ?'s

gonecountry

Hello y'all and thanks for taking the time to help me out. I am moving from the suburbs to the country, because urban sprawl has turned us into the city. I bought 5 ac of solid pine/hardwoods a few years back and I cleared it with a backhoe and mowed it with a riding lawnmower, which wore both of us out.

I just bough another 5 acre place and this time I want to do it the right way and need a little compact tractor to keep it brushhogged and also clear some undergrowth and any small trees I can push out. About everyone in my family that owns a tractor has a JD, but these are larger tractors, not a Yanmar painted green. From what little experience I have, it appears the Kubota is more operator friendly and a little heavier built than the JD and I think they will outlast the JD. Y'all are biased I know, but let me know why I should buy a Kubota and what I could get used for around $8K.

Also, my garage door clearance is only 6' 6"...will a small BX or other model fit under the door on a trailer? My HOA is strict and won't allow any trailers equipment, etc. outside of a garage. Any information would be greatly appreciated!:tiphat:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
First of all, welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Since you've asked specifically about a BX Kubota, here's what I know about them.

The BX series does not have a foldable ROPS except on the BX25 (I think). The height of your door will not allow a BX1860, BX2360 or BX2660 to fit inside on a trailer. Those three are 60.4"-70.4" tall. The door is only 78".
Most Sub Compacts will be in the same height range, but some may come with a foldable ROPS. If the trailer is not needed a lot at home, you might consider keeping it at a storage facility.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tough question. I think Kubota used to be king of the compact tractors but of late quite a few other offerings are worth a look. My concern is the primary function for your machine. If I read it right that is brush hogging.
From my experience only, I had a 17hp Mitsubushi with a 4 ft brush hog. I did not care for that setup. The tractor needed to be bigger. Now i run a 27hp (@ the PTO) and run a 5' bush hog and love it. It tears the stuff up.
Plus, I know a 27 to 30hp tractor will not fit in your opening without folding down the roll over protection.
If you need to do some hoe work on the new property you might try renting the hoe for the job, get the job done and return the hoe....that is unless you think you'll have a continuing need.
For small I figure you could look at 22 to 25 hp kubota, kioti, new holland and mahindra tractors and compare your results. Sit in the seats and operate the tractors at the dealers lot.
If 8k is your real ceiling you will most likely be looking for a slightly used model. I tried that for two years and gave up and bought new. With new financing it was just as cheap as a used one even though it cost more.
I strongly recommend a front end loader. That I'm sure you will have use for it consistently in your tractoring (I know I do).

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
I have a 1532 massy whitch is built by Isike. it has a foldable rops whitch just might fit in your garage depending on how high your trailer is....I would say ...check with a dealer and they can give you the mesurements you need..... and go from there.....my little massy handles a 5ft bushhog just fineit is rated as 30 hp. Hope that helps ya Jerry