oil filter brand and price?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just a question what is your favorite engine oil filter for the RTV? I need to stock up on filters.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For the engine if I didn't really want to stick with the mother ship's engineering with filter's I would go with fram or other quality manufacturers.

The trans and hydros are another matter altogether. As many problems that have appeared here over the years with delicate adjustments, fluid caused catastrophes, user misuse of the systems, and the need to follow factory engineering recommendations with adjustments and supplies, I really would not deviate from factory suggested fluids and filters.........................

Do what you think is best; but as I am sure most here already know by their choice of an RTV for their work and leisure activities, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR......... God bless...........Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I went with genuine Kubota. I ordered 10 so I got a discount to bring the total to 10.92 each delivered to my door. I wouldn't use anything other than OEM on the transmission filters.

Heatwave

OEM. I think all oil filters are reasonably up to their task, but ... you just never know. When I use a Kubota filter, I'm getting piece of mind ... with any other brand filter, I'd be wondering ....

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Heatwave. There are times you can go cheap, but sometimes you are paying a little more for peace of mind.

Say you are going along just fine and then you think you hear something different with that little diesel engine. Is the first thing you think of is that $1.50 you saved on that "bargin bin" oil filter. I say, just bite the bullet and buy the OEM filters.

Fitch

I agree with Heatwave. There are times you can go cheap, but sometimes you are paying a little more for peace of mind.

Say you are going along just fine and then you think you hear something different with that little diesel engine. Is the first thing you think of is that $1.50 you saved on that "bargin bin" oil filter. I say, just bite the bullet and buy the OEM filters.

Exactly.

Mark.Sibole

My opinion is if you spend thousands of dollars on a machine and want it to last why cheap out of proper oem filters and fluids.You may save a buck short term but in the long term in generally comes back to bite you in the ass hard!

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Ome of the nicest things about the internet is the easy/ready access to information. Anyone willing to spend a few minutes can discover that Fram filters are listed amongst the WORST in quality of construction and number of failures due to cheap materials and poor quality by-pass valves.
WalMart's "SuperTech" filters are higher quality than Fram and priced much lower. (Not suggesting them for your Kubota, just writing what I have personally observed.... I cut open filters when I remove them.)

I use aftermarket filters on some equipment and even on my expensive pickup truck and have run many many miles more than the average person …(I keep vehicles until they are either wrecked or obsolete and cannot find parts...I'm not a fashion or fad slave.... ask my wife.) :yum:

But on my Kubotas… I use Kubota filters and fluids not only for peace of mind but also because their items are only a fraction more expensive than the bargain-basement stuff and aren't likely to get changed every month or two like my other stuff. (Imagine the $11/gal SuperTech oil and $2.50 SuperTech filters that ran my '92 Jeep Cherokees and '05 Grand Cherokees more than 300K miles EACH (no kidding) before both being rear-ended by texting drivers. (also absolutely true...maybe I should quit stopping for puppies in the road...at least with texting drivers behind me. State Farm actually charged ME with the accident in which I was rear-ended.j….'nother story...) But the $6/qt Castrol and KN/etc. filters my brother insists upon are thou$and$ of his dollars down the drain comparatively and literally over the life of the equipt. (Then he trades them-in every 5 years.... Even if his reasoning is correct … WHO is he saving the equipt FOR? the next owner?

Anyway, Kubotas get Kubota stuff. I need them too much.

Whatever your choice,... change fluid and filters BOTH…. and OFTEN. (Example: My truck says every 7500 miles but I do it every 5K. And don't forget the air filters. Your equipt uses more air than fluid.)

Whew! Got long-winded. Sorry.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good post. I agree. Kubota all the way around for the Kubota equipment. I think all long time members agree and do the same.

But for my other vehicles, car, truck and SUV I use synthetic. I extend the oil change interval to 9 to 10k miles. I have the used oil checked by Blackstone every 3rd or 4th oil change and always get good results. Always have a few thousand more miles I could have gotten out of the oil. Extending the oil change interval more than covers the extra cost of the synthetic oil. Works for me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have zero smoke and no blowby at 4,200 hrs . Only oem filters and sudt2 transmission fluid. I use the JD high quality Plus II , 15-w40 in my engine only because we have it for our big JD tractors. With my previous 2005 RTV sold at 4,200 plus hrs, and this 2011 rtv with almost 4,200 hrs having such great performance, I wouldn't change a thing. Good oem filters are cheap insurance and the synthetic sudt2 transmission fluid it just keeps a good machine going and going like that bunny. collie

Lee1935

Fram many years ago was one of the best filters you could buy. Sadly those days are gone forever. Lab tests for the past few years only give a high score to just a few filters. Napa Gold being one

RickW

I use the NAPA Gold filters on everything now and have not had any issues. On the RTV I do still run Kubota Filters for the trans/hydraulic filter due NAPA not having them at the time I last checked a few years back. I do use the NAPA Gold filters on my B3030 tractor for everything.

Like border collie I only use sudt2 transmission fluid in both Kubotas but use synthetic Rotella motor oil as that is the same motor oil I use in all of my stuff.