Hill Climbing

G

Hi! </P>

I am interested in the RTV as a work vehicle to use on my mountain property which has slopes of 30- 40%. The conditions are mostly dry with heavy build ups of leaves and pine needles.</P>

I am interesed in hearing about experiances in these type of conditions and recomendations on tires. Also how is side slope stability? </P>

I am also considering the Rhino and the Polaris 6x6. Any thoughts?</P>

craig</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig</P>

Tell us more about your wants/needs in a UTV. Mainly work? Work and Play? Mainly Play? The RTV, Rhino and Ranger are 3 different machines. RTV=mainly work, Rhino=mainly play and the Ranger is between these.</P>

For all, I would say stability would be very good.</P>

As for hills, they should all be able to climb but at varying speeds. The RTV will do those types of slopes at about 8mph. The Rhino could probably do them at near full speed. Ranger, again, is probably somewhere in the middle.</P>

As for tires, I would probably say any decent ATV style tire should be decent for those conditions.</P>

A couple things to consider. On your trails, are there a lot of tight corners? The turning radius on these machines varies. Probably the most important thing is getting back down the hills. The RTV has a great engine braking capability and if you let off the pedal when going down a hill, the RTV will stop in its tracks. I don't believe the Rhino or Ranger will do that and need someone else to comment.</P>

I would recommend that you try to get a demo of each machine brought to your place so you can try them in your personal environment.</P>

Brian</P>

DRankin

Altitude is a major consideration..... especially if you plan to operate at widely varying altitudes.</P>

The RTV by virtue of its diesel injection can run from sea level to probably 12,000 feet without any sort of adjustment. The other two machinesuse gasoline and a carburetor, so you need one set of internal jets for 0-5000 feet and another set for 5000 and over.</P>

I live right in the middle of that range. On a cold day here the density altitude can be as low as 3500 feet while a hot day in the back country passes can dial up to 9500 feet density altitude. </P>

The RTV isn't fast, but it chugs through all the variables.</P>

G

Brian,</P>

I will be mostly using this machine for work. I will be hauling fire wood and tools up and down these hills. My altitude is 4300' above sea level and although it snows in the winter I prpbably won't try and tackle the steep slopes with snow on them. I am concerned about the deep build up of leaves and pine needles as I have found that it is very difficult in a 4x4 so I will be looking for an aggresive tire and possibly will want to increase the ground clearance a little with taller tires. Any recomendations are appreciated.</P>

Craig</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig,</P>

When you say 4x4 are we talking truck or ATV? If truck, the RTV should have no problems out-climbing it. If a ATV, you have some serious hills and need to get a bulldozer in there to cut trails to traverse the hills so they're not as steep (which is what I did).</P>

For a work vehicle, I wouldn't recommend the Rhino. For hauling firewood, I would still say the RTV is the way to go. I have similiar terrain and have no problems putting over 1000# of firewood in the box and coming down the hills. Going up hills with 1000# in the box isn't something I've tried so I can't honestly say how it would climb.</P>

Leaves in particular can get hairy when coming down hills. When wet, they can get slick. Have you considered getting a plow for either the front or rear of the RTV to plow the leaves/needles off the trails?</P>

As for tires and lift, where all are you going to be driving this? If you're going to be running through the yard or on pavement you may not want something as aggressive as the ITP 589's. If you're staying off-road and don't care if you leave marks, the 589's are probably theway to go. For an all-around tire, many have found the Maxxis Bighorns are one of the best. They run fine on pavement, no major marks on lawn but will still give plenty of traction in mud and on hills. I climb hills like yours with these tires and don't need 4wd or differential lock (although mine aren't normally covered with leaves). The 589's are pretty true to listed height (25"). The 25x10x12 Bighorns actually stand closer to 26 1/2" tall. For day to day use, I don't need a lift kit but when loaded and coming down hills into a corner, I do get a little rub in the front end. I'm going to get a lift kit from Essex (www.essexmfg.com). I don't recall the exact numbers (maybe Dargo can chime in here) but I believe the 2" lift kit when on the Bighorns raises the front about 1.75" and about 1.5" in the rear.</P>

Brian</P>