RTV THERMOSTATS

windyhill

Thanks right nowI have 25 to 30 hours I run about 1-2 per day but I stop it a lot, today I will try to get it hot,thanks andI put a 400watt block heater on itnow I will try 1500watt thanks southern mi

windyhill

Thanks right nowI have 25 to 30 hours I run about 1-2 per day but I stop it a lot, today I will try to get it hot,thanks andI put a 400watt block heater on itnow I will try 1500watt thanks southern mi

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="windyhill"]Thanks right nowI have 25 to 30 hours I run about 1-2 per day but I stop it a lot, today I will try to get it hot,thanks andI put a 400watt block heater on itnow I will try 1500watt thanks southern mi[/quote]

Windyhill,

Welcome to the forum.
For the block heater, what kind of heater are you using (cooling system or oil heater)?

Under normal driving conditions, it takes a loonnnnggggg time to get these things up to full temperature. In the winter, it may take an hour before you get an indication on the temp guage.The engine and tranny is a big hunk of steel to get up to temp.
Haven't looked at it but something just came to mind. There's a fan on the engine at all times (plus the aux fan electrically turned on). I wonder if the main fan that's on all the time can be removed (seperated from the pully) so it'll get up to temp faster.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="windyhill"]Thanks right nowI have 25 to 30 hours I run about 1-2 per day but I stop it a lot, today I will try to get it hot,thanks andI put a 400watt block heater on itnow I will try 1500watt thanks southern mi[/quote]

Windyhill,

Welcome to the forum.
For the block heater, what kind of heater are you using (cooling system or oil heater)?

Under normal driving conditions, it takes a loonnnnggggg time to get these things up to full temperature. In the winter, it may take an hour before you get an indication on the temp guage.The engine and tranny is a big hunk of steel to get up to temp.
Haven't looked at it but something just came to mind. There's a fan on the engine at all times (plus the aux fan electrically turned on). I wonder if the main fan that's on all the time can be removed (seperated from the pully) so it'll get up to temp faster.

windyhill

I have two block heaters the first is a 400watt lower radiator and it did not cut it so I installed a 1500watt kats cooliant heater now thats get hot now! yesterday it got up to 34 and after an half-hourof driveing it go in first it got hot and even electric came on, thanks, if you find out about fan please let me know I think it would helpthanks i love this tractor review thanks everyone!!!!!

windyhill

I have two block heaters the first is a 400watt lower radiator and it did not cut it so I installed a 1500watt kats cooliant heater now thats get hot now! yesterday it got up to 34 and after an half-hourof driveing it go in first it got hot and even electric came on, thanks, if you find out about fan please let me know I think it would helpthanks i love this tractor review thanks everyone!!!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK. Just making sure you weren't using that much wattage on an oil heater. That would probably boil your oil.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK. Just making sure you weren't using that much wattage on an oil heater. That would probably boil your oil.

windyhill

I only use one or other the 1500 watt is relly to much ,the 400watt is not enough I might change 1500watt to the kats 1000watt heater because needs to be watched still testing thanks

windyhill

I only use one or other the 1500 watt is relly to much ,the 400watt is not enough I might change 1500watt to the kats 1000watt heater because needs to be watched still testing thanks

Ricochet

From whatI have testeda 400W block heater is all you need for subzero temps & start of a RTV...unless you are talking really extreme temps around -40F or lower.

Ricochet

From whatI have testeda 400W block heater is all you need for subzero temps & start of a RTV...unless you are talking really extreme temps around -40F or lower.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too would think 400 is enough. Heck, I think mine (oil heater) is only 125.

But, since you already have both...

If you don't feel the 400 is big enough, how about using the 1500 but put it on a household timer so it only comes on for 15 minutes (or something) per hour.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too would think 400 is enough. Heck, I think mine (oil heater) is only 125.

But, since you already have both...

If you don't feel the 400 is big enough, how about using the 1500 but put it on a household timer so it only comes on for 15 minutes (or something) per hour.

windyhill

That is what I did, is put on a timer 1hr before I start chores yes the 400watt is enough to start but to get warm enough to get heat out if the heater I need more. Last week it got to-30, it is in a barn, with a 400 watt I can't get any heat .thanks

windyhill

That is what I did, is put on a timer 1hr before I start chores yes the 400watt is enough to start but to get warm enough to get heat out if the heater I need more. Last week it got to-30, it is in a barn, with a 400 watt I can't get any heat .thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Windyhill,

OK, here's some options for "more".

Put a stick on block heater on the bottom of the transmission. I'm sure the engine is loosing heat as itdissipates heat into the tranny. If you want to go this path, I can give you info on which model works, where to get it and install (as I did this myself).

I was at the dealer yesterday and he had a RTV engine and tranny ripped out of a RTV. I took a quick look and it seems pretty straight forward to remove the front fan that is belt driven. 4 bolts and it's out of there.

Another option may be to cover the air intake on the side of the RTV (below the lift control for the bed).

If you do either of the latter options (fan removal or cover the intake), watch your engine temp closely!! Although you still have the electric fan, I don't know if it'll get hot.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Windyhill,

OK, here's some options for "more".

Put a stick on block heater on the bottom of the transmission. I'm sure the engine is loosing heat as itdissipates heat into the tranny. If you want to go this path, I can give you info on which model works, where to get it and install (as I did this myself).

I was at the dealer yesterday and he had a RTV engine and tranny ripped out of a RTV. I took a quick look and it seems pretty straight forward to remove the front fan that is belt driven. 4 bolts and it's out of there.

Another option may be to cover the air intake on the side of the RTV (below the lift control for the bed).

If you do either of the latter options (fan removal or cover the intake), watch your engine temp closely!! Although you still have the electric fan, I don't know if it'll get hot.

Eagleman

I just got my RTV and installed the heater. The hose connecting to the port from the T-Stat housing should have the "T" handle shut off valve on it. This valve should be open to allow flow into the heater finned tube coil. I also had to add about 1 qt of coolant after I installed the heater. Note the heater fan will stay on after the ignition is turned off, and when installed you lose the driver's side cup holder, which becomes a windshield defroster with the heater installed.

Eagleman

I just got my RTV and installed the heater. The hose connecting to the port from the T-Stat housing should have the "T" handle shut off valve on it. This valve should be open to allow flow into the heater finned tube coil. I also had to add about 1 qt of coolant after I installed the heater. Note the heater fan will stay on after the ignition is turned off, and when installed you lose the driver's side cup holder, which becomes a windshield defroster with the heater installed.