Gears grinding when shifting

getitdone1

Have a John Deere 5020--just bought it--and when shifting it into gear it will "grind the gears". Always succeed but wondering--once it arrives here--if needs nothing more than a clutch adjustment.

Did I buy a lemon?

Motor runs like a new one.

Am told it has about 2500 original hours on it.

New to diesel tractors: Assuming good maintenance I would guess it'd be good for another 2500 before major overhaul. ?????

Don

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT Don!!!!! Glad you found us and joined up.
Congrats on your new (to you) tractor. :thumb:

I have heard some say they've had to rebuild at 3000 hours, but with good maintenance i believe 5000 hours is a reasonable guesstimate.

I wonder if the gear issue is a synchronizer problem?

Mith

Don, if it grinds when selecting a gear when you aren't moving and with the clutch fully pressed down then I would suspect a clutch issue. If its stood for a while it might be a little surface rust that providing enough grip to keep the transmission turning, but that will wear off in short order. Otherwise it'll probably just be an adjustment. I dont know if Deeres have it, but there is sometimes a plate you can remove to visually inspect the clutch and flywheel.

I've heard claims of 10,000 hours before a major rebuild, but I suspect that might be unusual. If its been maintained well up to now and you dont have any smoke or unusual noises you are probably good for the next couple 1000 hours.

Have a John Deere 5020--just bought it--and when shifting it into gear it will "grind the gears". Always succeed but wondering--once it arrives here--if needs nothing more than a clutch adjustment.

Did I buy a lemon?

Motor runs like a new one.

Am told it has about 2500 original hours on it.

New to diesel tractors: Assuming good maintenance I would guess it'd be good for another 2500 before major overhaul. ?????

Don

Just out of curiosity...
What does the HOUR METER say?
For what reason would it be different than actual hours?

Do you have collar shift transmission?

Excessive Gear Clash When Shifting
1. Attempting to shift too fast
2. Attempting to shift left lever with tractor in motion
3. Shifter worn or broken
4. Transmission clutch dragging
5. Transmission clutch not fully disengaging
6. Gears still rotating due to failed snubber brake(clutch pedal depressed)

getitdone1

By golly, believe I came to the right place.

Thanks for all your responses to my question about a John Deere 5020 I bought yesterday.

Don