JD316 Onan Engine Issues

krogers6255

I'm having a couple of issues with a JD316. This was my father's and it's been sitting since he passed away (3 years now). The last time it ran there was a tremendous oil leak out the right side. After a power wash I discovered the problem, leaking oil pressure sending unit. Replaced it and no leaks, problem solved. Nope, just beginning. I tried to start it but no fire. Appeared to be coil related,replaced coil. Might as well r/p points, condensor, and plug wires. Now were cooking!. Got fire, started! Well didn't run as well as I had hoped. Suspected carb issues. Took the top of the carb off. Cleaned all jets and metering orifices. Now it runs pretty good at idle with choke open. When increasing throttle it dies. It will run at fast speed with the choke about 3/4 closed. I'm thinking maybe the high speed jet is not quite clean yet. Any suggestion? The replacement of the carb would be a dog of a job to do since it's mounted from the bottom and through the intake manifold. That's one issue, now for the next;

When I had it running, even at fast speed the charging indicator came on. Check voltage at the battery and regulator, not charging. With the alternator being somewhat open on this tractor is it possible that it needs a good cleaning? Keeping in mind that this tractor has sat for 3 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot:
Model : M00316X316653
Engine: B43E-GA016/4232B

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From what you've described and from my experience, it's due to ethanol in the gas. I've gotten it to run better after running it hard for awhile (regardless of choke setting so long as you can get it to run at higher RPM's and especially under a load).

Do anything/everything to get any residue out of the fuel system. I still have an ATV down with similar situation (and it runs really hot). Putting a larger jet in the carb will probably be my resolution.

I won't say "beat on it" but running it hard for awhile may fix some of your issues.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And see about the fuel filter . The fuel tank may be cruddy too and if so, the fuel line as well. All that "crud" going right back to the carb.... good luck. bordercollie

edit.. on the charger, is the belt good and snug? loose wires or rat chews?

Also, I should mention that the same issue with the charger happened to me when I pressure washed the old Cat 242B. I cut it off immediately, blew out with air and vowed to never ever get water on electrical stuff again. My prayer was answered and the light went off when I restarted and ran it a few seconds . Good Luck. bordercollie

Last edited:

LincTex

Do anything/everything to get any residue out of the fuel system. Putting a larger jet in the carb will probably be my resolution.

Buy a set of micro size drill bits:
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-micro-drill-set-piece-61526.html

Sometimes a torch tip cleaning tool will work ... use the closest sized one that fits your jets and passages and clean the crud out of them.

It takes VERY little film/slime in small passages to reduce fuel flow by 20% or more!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_445716-48247-FPW1423-0016_0__?productId=4738506

4738506lg.jpg

shady

Get some marine StaBil and fill the carb let it soak for a day or so. Get Al free gasoline mix the proper amount StaBil. Then run as advised before.