X1100 difficulty shifting transmission

doublejack

These hydrostatic transmissions are known for difficulty getting the transmission out of gear and into neutral. The new "X" series, has an "unloader" feature, activated by the brake which is to serve the function of unloading the pressure in the hydrostat so the shift lever can be moved.
On my 2014 X1100, this new feature doesn't seem to do the job it is intended to accomplish. Anybody else out there with the new model that is having better success than I am?
I bought the unit to plow snow with, and if we can't get the shifting to be a little quicker and easier, I'm afraid this unit is going to be a dud in that application. I've taken it back to the dealer, but they haven't been able to help - probably don't know what to do.
I know if you wait long enough, the pressure will unload to enable shift change, but that isn't practical or safe, especially when in plowing snow you are constantly reversing direction in tight quarters.
If anyone is planning to plow snow, I'd research this problem before buying one. Any ideas out there????

King

The more hours and miles you put on them the better they shift. It will loosen up over time mine was really hard to shift at first but now it shifts like butter takes time for the transmission to get broke in. If you really want it to shift better now you could try and lower the idle down some that seems to help.

Kanook

I have run out of swear words and have two languages (French and English) to draw them from, when it comes to pushing snow with these little golf carts on steroids. My understanding is the new units are much easier to shift than the old 900s like what I have with a Blizzard snow plow hanging off the front. In my case cutting back on the engine idle speed and dialing in a little 'negative creep' improved the shifting and as King says, they do get better with usage. Keeping pressure on the brake pedal for several seconds apparently bleeds off the pressure on your model.

As you have said, if your snow plowing requires a lot of fwd/rev manuvering, the shifting difficulty becomes an issue and sure spoils the 'fun' in playing in the snow. Sure wish Kubota had either built in a clutch in the drive train or made the hydro work off a fwd/rev pedal like my hydro tractors.

Other threads here deal with various issues such as coast valves and pressure settings that can be done.....In the mean time here's a swear word to add to your vocabulary...TABARNAK!

poke

I have an 2014 x900 (23hrs) and it can be a bear to get out of gear. Especially it seems when the vehicle is not level (?). The proposed workaround is time consuming and uncertain (kicking the revs against the handbrake).
Pressing the brake pedal does NOT unlock the gear shift at idle.
If this is a matter of adjustment PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Tailrotor

These hydrostatic transmissions are known for difficulty getting the transmission out of gear and into neutral. The new "X" series, has an "unloader" feature, activated by the brake which is to serve the function of unloading the pressure in the hydrostat so the shift lever can be moved.
On my 2014 X1100, this new feature doesn't seem to do the job it is intended to accomplish. Anybody else out there with the new model that is having better success than I am?
I bought the unit to plow snow with, and if we can't get the shifting to be a little quicker and easier, I'm afraid this unit is going to be a dud in that application. I've taken it back to the dealer, but they haven't been able to help - probably don't know what to do.
I know if you wait long enough, the pressure will unload to enable shift change, but that isn't practical or safe, especially when in plowing snow you are constantly reversing direction in tight quarters.
If anyone is planning to plow snow, I'd research this problem before buying one. Any ideas out there????

Doublejack

Open the hood of your RTV X 1100 and look were the release cable comes through the firewall. This cable is attached to the brake pedal and to the servo pressure release when you step on the brake pedal it releases the pressure so you can shift better.

The cable is mounted in a sloted stand off with a grommet to hold it the problem is this is not holding the cable secure enough and a service bulletin has been issued on this problem was at my dealer today and he told me about it and I went home looked at mine and sure enough it was out of the grommet.

The fix is to tyrap it in place so it will hold the grommet in place and will relieve the pressure when you step on the brake. My unit has 30 hrs and 112 miles and it really helped it. Now when I push on brake hard it shifts way better.

Hope this helps everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 371

Mark.Sibole

Please remember with all things new things can be stiff during the break in period.I know every machine has its quirks.All I can say ids be patient and let things break in.Even if you just have yto got for a nice long joy ride.As things break in they get looser.
My 04 took a bit of time and as you learn the machine it does get a lot easier.But I know all of the quirks and fixed on my machine now.The only issue I have any mote is keeping the 9 year old curtis plow holding together.It has moved so much from mud,sand ,slush ,snow and wood piles its just getting wore out.As it wears out i fabricate a replacement part or re weld things back together.Today the swivel pad for the plow let loose on me.It had a lot of stress fractures in it.I had to pound it back together tack weld it then gring oit some slots and 45 degree angles on the cracks and re weld it then grind it down.It actually looks a lot stronger now thean the original.But the use ive gotten out of it is out of this world.I dont know how anyone in life could live without a grinder and welder.

rapracing

When mine gives me a hard time I just tap the throttle and it shifts. It has gotten better over time but it will still stick sometimes. That has been the solution for me when the brake pedal doesn't seem to do it

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Tailrotor, Thanks for the pictures. They really convey the fix.

When I work on my 04 900, I'm generally impressed with the engineering but that design of a grommet to hold the cable is really a POC. Thank God for zip-ties.

Mike - Your comments about a welder and grinder are dead on. It would impossible to keep the rolling stock functional without them.

Thanks guys :tiphat:

Bob

I find if I stop, using the brake and then remove my foot from the brake (as in sitting at the mailbox) and then try to shift into reverse I have a heck of a time. If I leave my foot on the brake and shift into reverse it's fine. 960 some miles on it. It will be so stuck at that point I normally just turn it off then it shifts into reverse fine.

poke

Now we're getting somewhere hopefully.
On the x900 there is no firewall. The cable and bracket are the same though. The grommet is kind of weak , all it does is pick up serious vibration. What is probably more serious is the fact that the cable casing end is simply butted into a hole in the bracket. There is no lock nut and it can therefore be pulled out. Which should not matter since the cable pulls in the other direction. But if this all was not properly seated when adjusting ... The entire front end of this cable assembly can go out of alignment fairly easily.
The legal length adjustment is at the other (rear) end of the cable. I'll play with it tomorrow. I trust this is the "dump valve" ...?

Attachments

• CIMG1022.jpg
    CIMG1022.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 334
  • CIMG1023.jpg
    CIMG1023.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 329

doublejack

Kanook - There is a retrofit device available as a dump valve for the previous models. Do some searching, I'm sure you'll find it. I ran across it before I bought the 2014 model. Good luck! I gather you're from the French speaking area of Canada. Anywhere near St. Jerome, north of Montreal? Send me a PM if you are

Art454

It is hard to believe after all the years they have made this unit....they still have not fixed this problem. Kubota really needs to get there act together on this problem.

That Polaris® Brutus...made by Bobcat looking better all the time....or just buy a bobcat....and you can mount things on the front like a snowblower and the like.

I need to take a trip to the Bobcat forums if they have one and see what folks are saying about it.

Art454

I may have to sell my 1100 with about 130 hours on it for a Polaris® Brutus or a Bobcat. I could really use the snowblower that it has to offer plus all the other stuff. They call it the 3650 I think and from the reviews looks like Kubota in trouble in the future. Many people that have both for work really like the 3650 over the Kubota. I know myself after about 2 hours in the 1100 my back is killing me and also said by other in the forums....the 3650 is much more comfort and leg room.

doublejack

Confirm problem with unloader valve

Tried plowing snow this AM for the first time with my 2014 X1100. What a disappointment in the aggravation when trying to shift to reverse direction. I then checked the action on the unloader valve as noted by Tailrotor. When depressing the brake, the lever that activates the valve hardly moves. I couldn't see exactly why the cable doesn't do it's job, but I will dig into it next. I hope that getting that to work properly will take care of the shifting problem. Many kudos to Tailrotor for identifying the problem.

Kanook

Kanook - Found this unloader valve on E-Bay for $50. Maybe this will help with your shifting issue on your 900. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KUBOTA-...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item2c91d0f52d

Thanks Doublejack, appreciate your info..unfortunately I think that item is the 'coast valve' which eliminates the sudden stop when letting off the accelerator. The original RTV900 in 2004 did not have a pressure relief valve (unloader) like later models.Later in 05/06? the original relief was provided by a knob on the dash (2005/6?) and then later it was activated by the brake pedal. My local dealer advises me that the only solution on my 2004 model would be to swap the hydro transmission for a newer models unit....$5k plus labor...ain't goin' to happen.

Again...appreciate your input. :thewave:

Mark.Sibole

LIke 71 stated if it gets stuck give it a bit of throttle as you punn it back to the neutral position.It should slide right out.Remember this isnt like the old clutch.There is a lot of hydrolyc pressure in there and it needs to released someplace.By Giuving it a bit of throttle it relieves the pressure and it will slip right out of gear.Hydrostatic transmissions are a beast all by them self.