Do they still make JD790?

Mark777

Hi folks...

I'm looking for a source of undeniable proof that the JD790 tractor is no longer in production.

My sources indicate that the JD2210 and the JD790 have stopped production and probably due to the contract end with Yanmar. Those same sources that provide this information, although not written in stone, suggest strongly that that's the deal as indicated above. Even tractordata.com posts the manufactured dates for the JD790 as 2000 to 2005.

Now, and to stop an escalating argument I'm somehow involved in, another JD enthusiast states that the JD790 will be produced for the '08 model year?This just can't be...can it? Does anyone know for sure??

Thanks, Mark

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Just hearsay but the CC salesman at the fair indicted that is no more! They still have new ones out there to be bought but no more production. I can't find anything and it's still listed available on the website!

Mark777

I hear the same thing BD...

And I understand the still available 790's are NOS.

Now, I'm wondering if they continue to build a JD 790 and call it the same...what is the replacement engine and it's origin? John Deere, in all it's wisdom has elected to be very vague about discontinued models, and information for same.

Thanks, Mark

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
From Yanmar's website ..... 2/22/07

Yanmar Agricultural Equipment Co., Ltd. has established a joint venture company with Cub Cadet of the United States. The new company will commence North American sales of Compact Utility Tractors (CUT) in October this year.

CUT’s are small tractors in the sub-50hp range used in such jobs as domestic lawn mowing and light construction work in residential areas. The market has expanded in recent years and has been attracting the increasing attention of both U.S. and foreign manufacturers.

Yanmar’s base tractor business in North America until now has consisted of OEM supply to John Deere, the world’s largest manufacturer of agricultural equipment. While maintaining this OEM business, Yanmar also plans to develop Yanmar brand products that respond directly to user demands and are perfectly matched to the North American markets for sale through the new company.

Yanmar is a late arrival in this CUT market but brings to the joint venture a wealth of experience in small tractor technology. By utilizing Cub Cadet’s extensive sales network for these products, together with the high brand value of both companies, we are aiming to secure a firm market position.

In my search there has been numerous articles on Yanmar supplying engines on new John Deere equipment models as of 6/06. The configurator works for the 790 so I gotta believe they are available.

Mark777

Thanks BD, This is what I've been looking for. This Information fills allot of holes and shoots a few in the gossip I've been reading.

Mark.

J

JDFANATIC

Mark,

Also, the 2210 production only stopped to make way for the 2305 which is still produced by Yanmar.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome JDfanatic!!!!! I'm glad you joined over here. :thumb:

Now how about some pics of all that equipment listed in your sig? :D

Mark777

Hey JDF, Welcome and glad to see another Green/Yellow guy!

I'm happy to say, and although the rumor mill persists, Yanmar and John Deere are the only ones who consider their contractual obligations aren't in any danger of ending in the near future. And heck, why would they?

Mark

J

JDFANATIC

Well, here are a few.

PTO Spreader:

Folding ROPS:

Cab:

Getting With It On A Project:

Our Spread:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics. You obviously do put em to work. Your 'spread' looks real nice. Very well kept. :thumb: :tiphat:

Do you keep that cab on during mowing season? I'm thinking it is more for the winter snow removal.

Wannafish

JDF,

I noticed the flashers are on the inside of the ROPS in the picture with the loader on it - and the flashers are on the outside of the ROPS in the picture of the folding ROPS. Any special reason?

When I had my 4010 the flashers would always catch tree branches when I was mowing around trees, which wanted to rip them off. I moved them to the inside when I replaced them. Seemed to take care of the problem except then I'd hit them with my elbow when I'd turn around :angry: .
I wasn't really happy with the design of how they mounted - it seemed they were not strong enough for their application. (I sold mine so I'm over that now :D ) Have you had any problems with yours?

J

JDFANATIC

Doc,

I just keep the cab on during the winter. The pic with the mower deck on was just for some last minute leaf cleanup before winter settled in. The cab is quite a story. A friend of mine, who builds race cars, made it and then decided to move to TN where it rarely snows. I had to take it off his hands! It's all modular aluminum, and I can put it on/take it off in about 7-8 minutes.

Wannafish,

The flashers were placed on the inside when I caught the left one on a branch. For the cab, they need to be on the outboard setting. Meanwhile, I've done a bunch of aggressive pruning and tree branch removal and now keep them in that setting all year. Deere does make some cages that go around the lights.