3510 4wd issues!

BBmong

Hello I picked up this early 2000 3510 tractor for short money 4K hr meter says 596 hours the body is pretty beat up and there is an electrical issue I am working through. Drive train works through all gears fwd and reverse How ever when I go to put the machine into 4wd I put everything into nutral then sift into low 1 and push into a pile I get no front wheel rotation I understand I may only get 1 tire to spin but I get nothing. If anyone can shine some light on this 4wd issue and help me save some time it would be greatful. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, I can't offer up any suggestions but I did want to welcome you to our internet tractor forums. :tiphat:
Enjoy and post often.

BBmong

Thank you

Thanks for looking I think I will start by pulling the linkage off and seeing if there is anything going on behind the shift cover on the tranny then move fwd from there. again any help is appreciated.

20/20

I don't know about your particular tractor but would like to write start with the simplest stuff 1st. Also check the shaft that goes to the front drive, I have seen them get messed up before. sorry I can't be of more help

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome!

OK, think through all the points where power may not be transmitted.

*Inside the transmission - shift linkage disconnected, or gears stripped.
You may be able to pull the cover off the transmission to look for this.

*Front driveshaft disconnected at either end. The balls can fall out of CV joints.

*Differential not driving one or both axles. Or one axle stripped before it gets to its wheel.
Jack up each front wheel, try to turn it with the 4x4 shifter engaged to see if you find resistance. Listen for crunching.

*Jack up front end.
Turning one front wheel (shifter engaged) should make the other wheel turn in the opposite direction.

Etc. Think through how its supposed to work then make tests like these with the shifter engaged, then disengaged, to pinpoint where something is disconnected.

BBmong

Thanks Cali!

It makes alot of since Cali. I will do just that and try and isolate the issue I will let you all know in a couple of days I have other projects going at the same time. Thanks again for everyones input.

BBmong

Hello, I pulled the selector its not that its in the front end somewhere? I turn the d/s and the left tire turn but can be stopped with your hand, right tire does nothing any ideas. Im in the process of dropping the front end to get into the dif area first I hope its something easy.

BBmong

final drive shaft shared

Hello So I found the time to tear into the tractors front end and after about 4 hrs I found the shaft in the rt final drive to be shared at the spline. Thanks for the tips and help. its a 38 dollar part just have to wait for the delivery now.

BBmong

Good morning 20/20 sounds like the shaft to the final drive is the weakest link in the system. I also heard on one of these forums that that shaft has twisted and snapped. It was mentioned that mahindra did this to keep the cost down if the was to be a breakage in the system it will be there. don't know how true but I was sure glad to find it there. I also have to admit I started at the tranney and was glad it wasnt back there then got the front axle about 1/2 way off before a buddy of mine came over and we were talking about it the the above comment about that shaft breaking came to mind and I went right there along with checking for tire spin and how much drag was on each wheel. the one that had the least resistance got pulled apart. Thank to all that replied.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thinking. :thumb: I'm glad, for your sake, it was that part. Price sure is right. Sounds like good engineering on the part of Mahindra. :thumb: