Dump Barge

Don in LA

I am dredging a canal using a barge mounted backhoe. I made a 4' X 8' dump barge to dump the mud onto and transport it to the river for dumping. With the mud on the barge, it tends to be somewhat unstable so, using ratchet straps, I mounted a 55 gal. drum on one side. This did stabilize the barge although I will probably mount a second drum. My problam is devising a quick release mechanism for releasing the drums so the barge will tilt and dump. I will be towing and dumping the barge either from a jet ski or a flat boat. I would like to be able to utilize a rope to pull the release device when I am a safe distance from the boat. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A picture of how the 55gal drum is currently mounted might help. This will impact how it can be released. I'm having a hard time visualizing the entire setup. (I did read that it's with ratchet straps, so are you wanting to release them from afar?)

Don in LA

Hey Doc. The drum is mounted on its side along the long edge of the barge. I have eye hooks mounted on the side of the barge, 2 above and 2 below the drum. The ratchet straps go around the drum and keeps it snug up against the barge. This keeps the drum about 6" below deck level. Releasing the straps "up close and personal" works OK but I wanted to do it safer and quicker. And, I'm not married to using this system. I was considering using some type of outrigger with a boxed-in area to contain the drums. The outrigger would stay in place during loading and transport and then would have to be released, pivoted, during dumping. I'm just not sure about a solid, quick release device for that either. Any ideas on either method will be appreciated. I will try to get some pictures posted later today.

Thanks again,

Don