I finally started my pond

jwstewar

Staff member
I missed this thread up until a few days ago. Thanks for posting Brandi. Glad to see the driveway issue and seepage was resolved.

urednecku

Nice pic's, rlk! They reminded me, several years ago my late brother-in-law had 2 or 3 catfish in a larger aquarium. He would bring them tadpoles, they would eat those things till they could not swallow any more, they would come out their gills, and still keep on trying to eat more.:yum::yum:

Bindian, that's a nice pond. Wish I was closer so's my sons & I could help ya catch them fish when they get good-n-fat!

Bindian

Brandi, you have no idea how much I would love that. Maybe in the next few years the economy will turn around and make such things possible again.

Yeah it sucks. I found out today it may take a whole week to get hard lines for my 2002 Ram 2500 diesel from the auto trans to the cooler. They have to be made, as Dodge (and Saturn) is cutting down on inventories. I heard it, from my local garage, is for 2009s and back. Driving a sucky Honda rental right now. The go cart seems to be only 2 inches off the ground, but the speedometer goes to 150 mph!
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Rebecca and I went up to Lee (Weldingisfun on TBN) and Kay's goat ranch to pickup some rocks and mosquito fish this weekend. The stones are to stop erosion on Lake Marie. Here are a couple of photos.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 3-6-10 Hill Country Stones at Lake Marie.jpg
    3-6-10 Hill Country Stones at Lake Marie.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 3-7-10 Hill Country stepping stone.jpg
    3-7-10 Hill Country stepping stone.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 3-6-10 Rebecca  with a new friend.jpg
    3-6-10 Rebecca with a new friend.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 3-6-10 Rebecca goosing a Mama goat.jpg
    3-6-10 Rebecca goosing a Mama goat.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 226

Bindian

Hey Doc,:tiphat:
Erik needs a few points for coming all the way down from Kansas to see Booger, my pond:fishing:, barn and the Big RED Beast.:thumb: Well, actually he came down to camp in the nearby National Forest with some friends and stopped by to meet me and see all the above mentioned items.:cool: We had a good talk about tractors, guns, the pond, guns, my barn, and oh yeah....guns.:D
hugs, Brandi

Erik

Brandi, it was great to meet you in person - plus Booger, the ferrets, your son, and the big red beast, thanks again for showing me your place!
hope your Saturday work went well.

Bindian

Brandi, it was great to meet you in person - plus Booger, the ferrets, your son, and the big red beast, thanks again for showing me your place!
hope your Saturday work went well.
Erik,
Glad to see you made it home safely. I really enjoyed meeting you. I guess the National Forest is still intact, as I didn't see any fire trucks head that way over the weekend! I was over my friends place 8 hours on Saturday digging up trees and cutting them up with my chain saw. He has a bad shoulder, so I had to do all the sawing. I am still sore, but not as sore as yesterday...when I took too hot long baths. Oh yeah.........that dang crane is back feeding at in the pond.
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

I screwed up.
mad.gif
frown.gif
ashamed.gif
I had some algae blooming and I bought Cutrine-Plus Algaecide from Tractor Supply. I miss figured and put in 4 times too much.
ashamed.gif
ashamed.gif
ashamed.gif
I realized my mistake later Saturday night when I was rechecking dosage rates for the second half of the pond. The cats died oh so slowly, it really hurt me that it took that long. Seems they were fine down deep, but would come up, I guess to eat, and get into the algaecide. The last one died this morning.

So life goes on after shedding a few tears and praying to God not to do that mistake again. I stocked Blue Catfish on the advice of a supervisor of mine that Blue's grow fast. But I heard a while back from Eddie that he stocked Channel catfish for catchability. So I am wondering which to stock now.
confused2.gif
confused.gif
What do Y'all think? I am still partial to the Blue catfish for they look like miniature sharks when they come shallow to feed.
hugs, Brandi

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Doc,:tiphat:
Erik needs a few points for coming all the way down from Kansas to see Booger, my pond:fishing:, barn and the Big RED Beast.:thumb: Well, actually he came down to camp in the nearby National Forest with some friends and stopped by to meet me and see all the above mentioned items.:cool: We had a good talk about tractors, guns, the pond, guns, my barn, and oh yeah....guns.:D
hugs, Brandi

Oppps, somehow I missed this back in March, so I didn't bump eric's reps for the hookup. Thanks for telling us about it Brandi and sorry I missed it and your pics first time around. :hide:

Good job Eric. Wish yall had taken some pics to share ...but I'll give ya reps anyways. :D

Bindian

That really sucks Brandi. I know how hard you've worked on that.
Thanks. I am kicking myself now for not thinking of catching all the sick cats before they died. I would have my wheelbarrow full of water along with the Big RED Beast's bucket. Guess that is a good reason for another pond.
hugs, Brandi

Erik

Brandi,
blue cats are pretty - channel cats are fun to catch and eat.
just my .02 :D (guess which I put in MY pond?)
oh, yeah - I may be back in your neck of the woods again in late August or September - with luck I can convince Tara to take off work and come with me this time!

Bindian

Brandi,
blue cats are pretty - channel cats are fun to catch and eat.
just my .02 :D (guess which I put in MY pond?)
oh, yeah - I may be back in your neck of the woods again in late August or September - with luck I can convince Tara to take off work and come with me this time!
Erik,
Do you think I can get blue and channel cats together in my small pond? Bring cool weather when you come.:letitsnow:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

I have made an air diffuser out of scrap airhose. It is about 10 feet long and coiled and ty wrapped. Numerous #40 drill bit holes are in it. I will secure this in a weighted bucket and lower it to the bottom of the pond. The homemade air diffuser is saving me $50 and up. I made one of these years ago, at work, and still use it in hot, confined spaces of the aircraft for cooling.

I plan on running it at about 5 psi from my barn's air compressor. So I will bury the line for about 170 feet, run it up through my overflow pipe (which goes under my driveway and dam) and down to a depth of 11.5 feet.

My question is should I bury 170 feet of regular air hose inside 1 inch poly pipe (100 PSI Polyethylene Flexible Coil Pipe, 1 in x 100 ft - 3151664 | Tractor Supply Company) from Tractor Supply, or just run 1/2 inch poly pipe (rated to 100 psi) and just pressurize just the 1/2 inch pipe?
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 8-2-10 Air hose coiled into air diffuser.jpg
    8-2-10 Air hose coiled into air diffuser.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 131

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi,Now that is a good set up. What do you think about Pex? It comes in a 100" roll and is about $45 for 3/4 " at Lowe's. It has a high burst strength and is very sturdy. I uncoil mine in the sun before putting it in the trench and the heat works the coil out straight. You would need the crimping tool though. I redid the plumbing on my folks house when I made the bathrooms handicapped accessible and it paid for it's self the first hr of use.I like pex a lot although it should not be exposed to sunlight for long.Bordercollie

Last edited: