Read this---- Keep an eye on those worm drive clamps

ckruse

I just wanted to give a heads up on something I discovered. Last week after doing that day of hard work getting thefood plots in, and pulling a lot of weight,Inearly had a problem.I had gotten the RTV500 out on the following day and was running it around the place a bit, to warm it up to check the fluid levels, etc. I pulled into the back drive and noticed it getting hotter than it should with no load. I parked it on the back drive in time to see a steady stream of anti-freeze running out from under it. It was coming from a junction of several coolant hoses on the right side of the motor. </p>

After getting it cooled off, I checked and could not see a split hose or any other issue. I got the nut driver and 10MM socket out and it soon became apparent the clamp had backed off enough to cause the leak. I checked all the coolanthose clamps and found them all to be what I would consider loose. Isnugged them up, added the lost coolant, and was back in business! </p>

Now keep in mind I'm at about 38 hours, so it's not that far till the 50 hour service. But, I worked her extra hard on Tuesday pulling loads, etc. So, keep an eye on those hose clamps. Dad and I were discussing howso many manufacturers have gone to the spring-type clamps most likely for that very reason. I always preferred the worm-drive type clamp, but they can and will get loose. </p>

This might be obvious to some, but just in case someone finds themselves in the same boat, better safe than sorry. I'm gladmy situation occurred in the driveway rather than outin the field. </p>

Keep a good eye on the radiator screen too, and blow the radiator out often when doing heavywork. I was schocked at how clogged it became from just airborne dirt. CKruse</p>

doggman

I've also had mine loosen up on the coolant connections. I always notice the leakson the driveway or garage, too. This fall I'm going to go through the whole machine and snug up everything. </p>

The rodents also play rough on the cooling hoses and tanks on all my equipment. I have to wire or tape a bait block under the hoods of everything I park on the farm. </p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="doggman"]The rodents also play rough on the cooling hoses and tanks on all my equipment. I have to wire or tape a bait block under the hoods of everything I park on the farm. [/quote]</p>

I hear you on that! Damn chipmunks have a field day in my old GMC dump truck every winter. They have figured out they can hide from the cats in there over the winter. It usually is parked when I am done hauling slab wood and the sun makes them a nice warm house for the winter.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I third had noticed my clamps were loose when I first used my machine. I imagine all hose clamps should be retightened after the first good use with the heating up of that rubber. I also check all fluid levels ... because it is like that funny assembly line nail gun video of Two Guns.. you never know when people are not into their work..daydreaming etc.. The only repair work I ever had done by others... won't again since I have my manuals.... left about a gallon of fluid out of my transmission(rear ujoints replaced). I had used it a couple of hours and a little voice said to check it ... Thank Goodness...Bordercollie</p>

Make it four...same problem...maybe the assembler should boost the torque on their driver...Dealers should be doing this also on PDI also.............Pets love the taste of that coolant and its poisonous to them if it leaks on the shop floor and forms a puddle they can lap up. I'm of course referring to the anti freeze that may not be used in you southern climes...........(green in color)</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Oh yes Kubota Kanook we use it down here... usually at a 50/50 mix using distilled water.... because of mineral content in so much of the water here we lean to the distilled mix. I think it really helps keep the radiator cleaner. Our most drastic temps are in the teens in the winter to over a 100 in the summer. mostly though in the 20's for lows and midd 90's for highs. and don't forget the high humidity. Right now it is 74 and 82% humidity and it is 10:12 pm. ... Now that we have a carport and concrete driveway, I make sure there is no coolant boilover from the vehicles for the pups to get at. It does take a long time to dry up on it's own. Bordercollie</p>

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
This old thread from '09 bears refreshing.... I bought a lightly-used 2015 X900 with only 250 hrs on it last month and got it home. Next day drove it around to get familiar with it.
Third day noticed a bit of coolant on the concrete floor beneath the drivers seat. Opened things up (removed seat pans and skid palte) and found a rubber hose clamped to a metal tube and the tube was fairly corroded from a long-term leak. (Made me wonder if the previous owner sold it in fear of a problem because it clearly had been leaking a long time and would have required several top-offs of coolant over the 3 years of ownership.)

Anyway, I drained the system, disconnected the hose and cleaned the metal tubing of corrosion with a stiff SS brush and cleaned the inside of the hose similarly and reinstalled it. Found several other hose clamps less than fully tight. Two weeks later things are still good. I'll check hose clamps again at each oil change.

It may be that rubber hoses may swell and contract after a few hours of production/assembly, so it'd be a good idea to go over ALL of them perhaps.

Just FYI. :bump:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There have also been cases of coolant hoses collapsing on some RTVs. Sure gotta watch them and keep the temperature gauge clean so easily viewable.