The Helpful Hand Hauling the RTV

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Been needing to post this picture. Before I was strapping down the RTV with ratchet straps, and cam straps, walking my butt off around the trailer, hooking hooks, going to the other side, walking my self to death. It was a work-out just securing the RTV. Then, keeping up with all them straps and tie-downs was a job within itself. </P>

Then, I purchased a four inch cargo ratchet strap unit. The same units they use on big trailers hauling heavy loads. We've all seen them. They sell them two different way, one is the style you bolt up to the side of your trailer, or the style , like I purchased, you can weld it on the trailer. </P>

Best way to find the proper place to install it, is to load your RTV up, center it the best you can, chock the trailer wheels, un-latch the trailer. Then crank up the RTV, and move it forward, and then backward, you will see the trailer try to come off the ball of your truck, when you find the center point , move your RTV up just about a inch or two toward your tongue of your trailer. So you have a little more weight forward on your trailer, this keeps the trailer from bouncing going down the road., set your new cargo ratchet unit where it will go over the back reciever of your unit.....And secure .....</P>

Purchase yourself a combination winch bar, ( 9.99 at Northern Tool ) and use this to pull down the strap with the ratchet..... </P>

This will save you more time and trouble than you will ever imagine..</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice strap setup.

A couple thoughts/comments if I may.
Not sure what 2-guns ends up with for tongue weight but I'd propose about 300# for a load like the RTV. My rule of thumb is normally 100# of tongue weight per 1000# of towed load. 100# minimum (empty trailer).

Although I use straps for smaller things, I do use chains on the RTV. I'd propose you check with your State Police or DOT to get the tie down requirements for your state. It does seem that the farther North and East you go, the tighter the regulations get.

I don't have the regs for my state in front of me but rolling loads (something on tires on top of the trailer), the regs are a lot stricter and in general, grade 70 chains (4 of them) are required.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Bczoom is correct,</P>

About 300# on the tongue weight for hauling the RTV's >>>></P>

The set-up I have ( big cargo ratchet strap ) has the load limit from 7,500 # - 10,000 #'s</P>

And the best thing about this is, my neighbor & best frienddown the road, who helped me install it, works for the Louisiana State Police, he's a wieght & standards officer, heenforces trucks & heavy haulers for state regulations. He's the one that come up with the idea of this >>>>>>></P>

He's the very one that told me a year ago to get the safety triangle and install it on the back. I can safely run on the roads in Louisiana, all but the Interstate Highways running threw Louisiana ....being my RTV is considered as a farm unit in this state !!!</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="notlaw"]Nice set-up Two Guns, did you do the front the same way?[/quote]
Brian,

Before you do the same, you're next door to me. I don't think the strap passes OH regulations. Not 100% sure, but check. I think OH is similar to PA and chains are required.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
No, the only one is there. You can crank that thing down, and it is not going anywhere. </P>

And if a accident would happen to occur. And that thing comes off, isn't nobody going to be living to tell the story anyway !!!</P>

labaherd

Out here in the area that I live in Ca. You can use the straps but you have to go around something. Such as the rear receiver not the hitch and they want you to be able to pull back not strait across.[H] Jon

seery

This set-up would not pass the MDOT requirements (Michigan) and would result in an improper towing citation at minimum.

I was involved in a bad trailer related accident 19 years ago and can tell you that no matter how bad the accident, it is imperative that whatever is on the trailer, stay on the trailer.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="seery"]I was involved in a bad trailer related accident 19 years ago and can tell you that no matter how bad the accident, it is imperative that whatever is on the trailer, stay on the trailer.[/quote]
There was an accident here recently. A relatively small load came disconnected and found its way into oncoming traffic. It was enough to kill a father and 3 of his small children. The PA SP & DOT took notice and are very particular these days. I won't even take a trailer on the road if 1 light is burned out.

Be careful out there.

MRBASS

I am still using 2 ratchet straps,,sometimes a hassle but I just dont feel comfortable without at least 2 good straps on it.. Perfectly legal here is Texas as long as you have at least 2 straps or chains per unit. I believe the 2 straps i am using are rated at 4000lbs each.

ez chair

Two Guns, Have you determined were the weight center is on the 900. I guessing it is further to the back of the machine. Wondering if I can achive balance on a 12ft trailer.

MRBASS

I actually hauled mine on a 12ft trailer a few weeks ago and we backed it on but didnt back it all the way to the front of the trailer. Pulled like a dream behind my 2500hd silverado.I have been thinking of buying a smaller trailer so I dont have to use my 21ft trailer all the time.

ez chair

Sounds good for the 12ft. My equipment trailer is a 24ft deck. Real pain to U-turn and does not like dips or hollows. Backing on seams to be the way to go.

I have an 18' car trailer, and it came equipped with 3" wide ratchet straps. I use four, arranged in a cross pattern on each end. Left strap ties into the right side of the vehicle frame, and visaversa. This prevents fore and aft, as well as any side to side thta might occur. I then use a come-along as a safety tie to the front end of the trailer.</P>

I've never had any trouble, nor any official comment, on the straps from any PSP troopers.</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I also was guessing it is futher back, somewhere about the front of the engine to the middle of the engine, now that's just a guess.....</P>

But that's a good project to work on, finding the true center >>>>..</P>

And I don't see why the RTV couldn't balance on a 12 footer ~~~~</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Not only is that a great lookin' machine you have on the trailer, but the trailer itself looks great too, like them wheels,

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
No, that's the only one on that trailer >>>></P>

But have another trailer, that has three set-up on it >>>>></P>