Next Generation RTV - What would your like to see?

symphony

I’ve been shopping for a UTV for a few years now and have gotten close to pulling the trigger on one but can’t help feeling that I would be compromising on my needs and requirements if I purchased one of the current utility vehicle offerings. I think the Kubota RTV is the closest to meeting my needs but there are just a few things that need to be addressed before I would ultimately purchase one. This brings up the question, what would you like to see Kubota offer in their next generation RTV? I’ll give you my thoughts:

The RTV, bar none, has the best cab and is the best built UTV on the market. Everything screams quality and ruggedness from the heavy duty frame, suspension components and drivetrain. This thing is built like a tank! I’ve compared the RTV to other offerings (Honda, Kawasaki, JD, Can-Am, Polaris) and although some of them are stepping up their game in terms of capabilities, none can match the RTV. One of the most important requirements for me is a solid, well-sealed 4 season cab with heat and AC. The competition all have poor cab designs with cheap plastic doors that won’t hold up to heavy duty use. The air infiltration is abysmal and there are huge gaps in the fitment of the cab components. Their cabs, all of them, are truly an afterthought.

Where is the RTV lacking for me? One of the best features of the RTV, the hydrostatic transmission, is also its greatest downfall in terms of speed. The current 25 mph top speed for the cabbed version is simply not acceptable for ME. I’m not intending to use it as a trail blazer (my ATV works just fine for that) but when I’m getting to and from my destinations, the RTV could use more top speed particularly for those times where I’m on paved or gravel roads. The lack of a higher top speed can really hamper productivity.

What would I like to see in the next generation RTV?

- turbo option to increase power and torque of the diesel engine (Tier 4 emissions issues but they already do it with their tractors)
- AT style torque converter transmission, 2-speed transfer case, which will allow increase top speed to 40-45 mph
- Add locking front differential

That’s it and all that would make it a perfect work machine for me!

Curious to see if you have any other wants? Perhaps Kubota is listening?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would like to see a tractor-type rocker pedal for switching from forward to reverse. Although it has gotten better over the years, it's still cumbersome to change from forward to reverse.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you on that Brian. I have a full-size FEL and garden tractors with forward/reverse pedals or single rocker-type pedal. No gear lever shifting except for lo-med-hi. Modern technology should be incorporated like this should be standard on next generation RTV's. (Are you reading this Kubota Corporation?) IMHO, if the RTV adopted this shifting technology Kubota couldn't build them fast enough as they would be sold BEFORE they arrived at the dealership.

Also, change ALL lights and lighting to LED's.

Also, provide better (easier) ways to change fluids.

That's my short list.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with the rocker pedal especially needed by me. That is one reason I'd consider the bobcat in the distance.. I could have sure used it yesterday when trying to get about 30 cows and their calves out of a fresh field and after a flash flood ( glad of the mud tires ) . They played ring around the rosey with me.. but I finally got them off using the Zig zag pattern like the sweet collies could do . collie

Mark.Sibole

Let me throw this out there.A top speed of 25 is plenty fast for this type of machine.Any faster would be dangerous.I did a test a long while back on what top speed could be.I let it free roll down a hill and after 30 it got very squirrely and was all over the road.Yes you would think more speed is better but not on this machine.Its to top heavy and the wheel base is to short.If you want more speed get a ranger but you will loose quality and power IMO.This machine is NOT a speed demond but a work horse.Adding more speed to this would like adding more speed to a d8 dozer.Not a good thing.Remember this is marketed as a work machine and not a side by side speed demond!

Mark.Sibole

Now as for things better?Led Lighting and a relocation of the rear brake lights to maybe the rops to keep them higher.A more responsive HST or better power.and lastly but cant be realistically done to keep center of gravity is nore ground clearence.This would take a re design of the suspension.Making it more like a hum vee suspension would give it the needed clearence but also a major design change.If they can not give us the ground clearence then for the speed limitations we have make it a true 4 wheel drive giving us the option to LOCK the front axle also.

ovrszd

I would like to see a tractor-type rocker pedal for switching from forward to reverse. Although it has gotten better over the years, it's still cumbersome to change from forward to reverse.

YES!!!!!

If Kubota is going to stay with the HVT system, then give us pedals just like the tractors. Takes all of the shifting problems out of the equation!!!!!

Nothing Kubota has done in the last 13 years has helped this problem. :(

Front diff lock would be handy. Just understand when you add that option you put a tremendous amount of stress on the driveline. Better beef up the components in the process.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
+1 for speed, if it even pulled 35mph it would be the perfect machine but you cant have it all i guess. Besides that the shifter is fussy... over the top? inside door locks, windshield wiper redesign its kinda in my line of sight and does not quite wipe passenger side, bit more leg room, stereo needs to be on the dash, air tight cab is awesome however not awesome having to slam the crap out of the doors to get them shut.
The solution to your problem is clear though, you just need two machines ;-)

pro1742

+1 for speed, if it even pulled 35mph it would be the perfect machine but you cant have it all i guess. Besides that the shifter is fussy... over the top? inside door locks, windshield wiper redesign its kinda in my line of sight and does not quite wipe passenger side, bit more leg room, stereo needs to be on the dash, air tight cab is awesome however not awesome having to slam the crap out of the doors to get them shut.

if you crack your window they shut alot easier

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
if you crack your window they shut alot easier

thanks, i figured that out, especially when someone is riding with me I will crack mine real quick to save them having to repeatedly shut it... again not complaining... my dodge truck has a migraine inducing howl of a leak on the tops of the passenger and driver side door, mostly when its windy as crap or I have the camper in it or if the door seals are super cold. I could probably fix that with new seals i know i know

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
thanks, i figured that out, especially when someone is riding with me I will crack mine real quick to save them having to repeatedly shut it... again not complaining... my dodge truck has a migraine inducing howl of a leak on the tops of the passenger and driver side door, mostly when its windy as crap or I have the camper in it or if the door seals are super cold. I could probably fix that with new seals i know i know

Generally, if the seals are leaking on a vehicle, one way to improve the sealing is to find a small foam strip and add it to the fold in the seal. A touch of talcum powder on the door will transfer to the seal where it contacts and where there is not transfer is where the seal needs to be expanded.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Generally, if the seals are leaking on a vehicle, one way to improve the sealing is to find a small foam strip and add it to the fold in the seal. A touch of talcum powder on the door will transfer to the seal where it contacts and where there is not transfer is where the seal needs to be expanded.

Thanks! Good looking out!:17875:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Not trying to Hijack the thread but the factory cd changer quit working i noticed... (I do not really use it that often)... so the other day I get in of a morning trucks off keys off everything off and the cd changer I can here is shuffling the cds! What do you have on that!?

Mark.Sibole

At 35 MPH it would be dangerous and all over the road.The machine is to top heavy and to short of a wheel base and not wide enough to handle that kind of speed.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Not trying to Hijack the thread but the factory cd changer quit working i noticed... (I do not really use it that often)... so the other day I get in of a morning trucks off keys off everything off and the cd changer I can here is shuffling the cds! What do you have on that!?

Is it still shuffling? if so, I'd disconnect the battery a second and see if it resets.sounds like you have a gremlin in there Alaskan. . collie

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Is it still shuffling? if so, I'd disconnect the battery a second and see if it resets.sounds like you have a gremlin in there Alaskan. . collie

Thanks collie I never thought about disconnecting the batteries I just figured it would shuffle itself to a slow death... could be a gremlin I think they live in all dodges and come out sooner or later !

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
At 35 MPH it would be dangerous and all over the road.The machine is to top heavy and to short of a wheel base and not wide enough to handle that kind of speed.

I ain't scared!!:drive2:

I'm not picking being serious do you really think it's top heavy? Seems like most of the weight is below the seat. If the beds loaded that's different obviously. I have squatted mine with gravel and it still felt stable though. Just curious your thoughts on top heavy.

ovrszd

I'm in steep timber almost every time I crank my RTV. When I first got it I thought it was top heavy. But soon realized it just felt that way because it has NO flex. Any off camber situation has a tire in the air.

I added an inch of suspension lift and 27" tires which logistically made the top heavy feeling worse. Added 1.75" of spacers to the front. 1.25" spacers to the rear. Those helped.

Now that I'm used to the machine I don't think of it as top heavy at all.

I'm talking no load in the bed.

I love the RTV steering off road. I pay a LOT of money on my offroad buggies to get that type of steering. Fully hydraulic.

If you have a tractor with the same type of steering that has a fast road speed you already know that it wanders. Constantly having to correct. My M9540 Kubota runs 24mph. That's fast enough.

If the RTV were made to go faster the steering orbiter would have to be changed for one designed to make more subtle steering corrections.

I'd still like to see 10mph added to the top speed of the RTV. :)