Oak Tree Felling

flaming-ace

We do a lot of tree felling around our area. Not very often large scale logging, we'll thin woods and even clear fall the odd area, but mostly just falling the odd tree for farmers.

Going back a few months we fell this big Oak tree, it was rotten on the one side and leaning over a lane, so due to health and saftey it had to come down (if it had fallen on a car or someone the farmer would have been liable)

We used an AEC Militant and an AEC Matador to pull the tree over, also used one of our fordson majors to help clear it up.

We are cutting most of the tree up for firewood but some of it we have stored in next summer probably we will be cutting it in to planks with our band saw.

3 part video of the operation

Cutting Down A Huge Oak Tree
My granddad and I helped in the whole thing, but we needed to get some friends who have insurance to fall trees next to roads and what not.
First we got the AEC Matador and Militant into position, climbed the tree and attached the wire ropes around the upper part of the tree (this is not shown in the video)
Then using many stihl chainsaws (we had like 6 there in total) a chunk was taken out of the tree.
Finally the best bit, the two AEC trucks pulled and down came the tree.

Clearing Up The Oak Tree
Heres a video of us clearing up the oak tree, seen being cut down in the previous video.
The AEC Militant and its timber crane and the fordson major were used to clear it up.

The Huge Stihl Chainsaw!
This is our ******* huge sthil chainsaw, i think its like a 4.5ft bar not sure.
Well here it is in action cutting up that oak tree.

Take a look at those video and i would love to here what you think

Thanks for reading/watching!

Mith

Nice having the right tools for the job?

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is one of the AECs steam? I know nothing about those trucks, neat machines though. Must have quite a pull on them, it looked like the tree had quite a backlean on it.

I've played about with a MS640 with 3' bar, one heavy sucker. Worst thing is its so unbalanced with a bar that long.

flaming-ace

Nice having the right tools for the job?

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is one of the AECs steam? I know nothing about those trucks, neat machines though. Must have quite a pull on them, it looked like the tree had quite a backlean on it.

I've played about with a MS640 with 3' bar, one heavy sucker. Worst thing is its so unbalanced with a bar that long.
ha yeah old tools will always last longer than new ones :)

nope its got a diesel engine, somthing like 7.5 or .6 litre

ha thats a fancy stihl, the one we were using is from the 50's, no chain break or front hand guard what so ever

Mith

Must be a smokey old beast then :D

I've got an old teles saw, thats got no safety features. Never used it, looks too dangerous for me, not to mention it weighs a ton!
The older saws are much more robust, no plastic :D

What was the truck with the hiab in the second video?

irwin

Thanks for taking the time to post the videos ace, a lot of work in those big ones..
After cutting up a 3 footer, I decided if they lived long enough to get that big, then I'll just let em be. (unless they're in the way :mrgreen:)

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
You've got more b***s than I have. That monster was about twice the size of the one I lost in a storm 3 years ago and it took me 3 weeks to cut that booger up and get rid of it. I wish I'd had that big Stihl instead of my 18" Poulan. :)

Nice job and great video.

N

Nicahawk

Thanks for posting the videos. Wow.......that was a big tree. Ever wonder how many lbs. something that size would weigh. :eek:

flaming-ace

Thanks for posting the videos. Wow.......that was a big tree. Ever wonder how many lbs. something that size would weigh. :eek:
actually i no more or less how much it weighs, about 40 tons.

we took most of the wood back to the yard in two loads on a friends timber lorry, which weighs how much is on the load to make sure he ent carry to much, and that was loads weighing 17 ton. Then what was left we cut straight into firewood on site and that made about 7 or 8 loads and a load is about a ton

N

Nicahawk

Well if the earth shifts magnetic poles in the near future I'll know why. It"s been unbalanced!:yum::yum: