Prepping and building- on the cheap.

irwin

The wife and I bought this property for several good reasons, and this is one of them.

My wife Stephanie has been a horse lover since girlhood (we'll just say a while;) ) . She's owned this one horse for 20 years, but hasn't been able to keep it on her own property, well now she can, but first she had to get me on board. (52, a little lazy, cigar smoking, bad back and all) Actually I loved the idea. :mrgreen:

First thing is a place to keep them, so we did some research and found someone that bought a pipe frame and added the wood to that. We hoped this wouild be a low cost way to get a 4 stall horse barn up, and most likely I could do most of the work..:whistle:

We send away for the frame kit, and while waiting I had a local guy with his excavator remove the top soil so we could put a base down.

th_770-dirt.jpg

Eight inches of processed gravel, topped with four inches of powdered stone.

irwin

Okay the frame arrives, well, not all the pieces, but thats another story.

Having never built anything close to this in about thirty years I made several mistakes that slowed us up,but nothing serious.

Puttin the pipes together, pretty easy.

.... ....

The frame kit comes in two 2 stall sections that bolt together at what will be the aisle. 4 12x12 stalls and 12 foot wide center walkway.

shinnlinger

Tim,

How hard does that setup, or are you doing it so it isn't hard for the horses...seems like a alot of gravel and powdered stone, so I'm guessing there is good reason...

Are you compacting the lifts?????

irwin

Get the wood frame up, drill holes and 3/8" bolts+nuts secure 2x4's to pipes at welded on tabs.

It's january and finally too cold to continue. we waited til the ground thawed. I got another load of gravel and a load of powdered stone and made a parking area. Had to, way too much mud!:mad2:

About this time we decided to inform the town that we were bring horse(s) to live here. Somehow the building inspector decided we needed to put 4 large anchors (instead of the mobile home ones I was going to) I hurried up making the subframe for the back hoe. it's heavy and solid and it works, but I woulda done it better if I wasn't in a hurry.
................ ......... ..

...................... ..... ...............back to work.. .. and the roof..

irwin

Tim,

How hard does that setup, or are you doing it so it isn't hard for the horses...seems like a alot of gravel and powdered stone, so I'm guessing there is good reason...

Are you compacting the lifts?????

Hello, the word I'm looking for is ignorant, I just did what I was told to do by the guy with large earth moving equiptment and his buisness name and phone number on the dually pick-up trucks doors.:mrgreen: Apparently the top soil is deep here, said get rid of all organic matter.

We had decided to use rubber stall mats to cover the entire inside floor area. We want the residents to be comfortable.:ohmy:

The powdered stone sets like concrete. I think (hope) it will be there for many years..

The old turfs on the tractor did the compacting.

irwin

Got the stalls fleshed out. some temp fencing and moved the old man in.

.... ... ..

then we got another Arab to take up residence next door to Emmett.

next time "The Barn Doors"

Time for me to turn in 5am comes earlier .:thumb:

irwin

irwin if ya don't mind me asking, how much did the pipe frame cost?

Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner civesnedfield, had one of those days:bangin: .

Stef says we paid about 5,000 for the 4 stall set up, and with the wood, hardware, and roofing we spent a total of $12,500
This is the company .http://www.klenepipe.com/
They have several sizes and styles. Ours have stall doors inside and outside for each stall, apparently it cost more this way. It certainly made the building easy, just measure, cut, drill, and bolt on, then cut the siding and screw it on.
That the horses can come and go into their own personal paddock from their own back door, just seems like we're giving them just a little freedom.:whistle:

....... ...and some horse play

Durring the day they have a bigger playground, 2 1/2 acres for now.

.. . .. ..

irwin

Finally got the end doors up (in an unfinished form, need to put finish siding on them, and some trim) they'll help keep the horses warmer this winter, in the spring I'll do the trim.
th_P1010070-1.jpg

Well we southern New England'rs got some snow today. I drove the tractor over to my truck and tractor attachment pile, threw a chain on the snow plow for my truck, picked it up with the loader and drove it back to the parking area so I can finally put it on the truck. One of these days I'll be more organized.:whistle: Kinda like those people at TownFair Tire waiting for snow tires to be mounted on their car while a blizzard raged outside..:mrgreen: