Members with a December 1969 join date

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In the merge all yous guys came across with a zero in the join date. We are on a Unix / Linux system. Unix was born Jan 1, 1970. And it keeps track of time by the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970.
Therefore zero = December 1969 since 00001 = Jan 1 1970 1 second past midnight. So that is why you now wear a join date of December 1969.

I can change this number, but it is a manual change. If you would like yours changed feel free to PM me or post here with the correct info. If you 'think' you joined CTR in July of 2007 ...I'd be happy to change your join date to reflect that. Otherwise it will stay December 1969 (and that is not a problem ...just rather unusual).
We have talked of changing all of these dates with a sql query but at this point I'm not going down that road ...at least not yet.

This post is simply to let you know, we know why it's set to December of 1969 and if you prefer to have yours set to something else just let me know and I'll take care of it.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In the merge all yous guys came across with a zero in the join date. We are on a Unix / Linux system. Unix was born Jan 1, 1970. And it keeps track of time by the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970.
Therefore zero = December 1969 since 00001 = Jan 1 1970 1 second past midnight. So that is why you now wear a join date of December 1969.

So if you were using a dos based system everyone would have Dec 1979 since dos thinks Jan 1, 1980 is the beginning of the world? :tiphat:

myyaz33

I can change this number, but it is a manual change. If you would like yours changed feel free to PM me or post here with the correct info. If you 'think' you joined CTR in July of 2007 ...I'd be happy to change your join date to reflect that. Otherwise it will stay December 1969 (and that is not a problem ...just rather unusual).
We have talked of changing all of these dates with a sql query but at this point I'm not going down that road ...at least not yet.

This post is simply to let you know, we know why it's set to December of 1969 and if you prefer to have yours set to something else just let me know and I'll take care of it.

I saw in the other thread you sought the assistance of VB tech support so I was surprised they didn't quick fix this for you. Few questions for ya.

Did you have a backup copy of both databases before you did the merge? What type of database are you using? What datatype is the field for join date?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a backup of my VB database. I assume Neil has one of the CTR forum, but that is not how we did it.
impex is a tool for importing / merging forums. It works well for VB to VB or PHP to VB and some others. CTR was a CS7 forum. There is some support for it but not nearly enough.

We did a remote connect to the CTR database using impex from a clone of our live database. I do not know the names of the various fields of the DB's. If we had to pay someone to manually match the two up and merge it would have been way more expensive than we could afford. I guess we get what we pay for. Not faulting the guy that did this for us, he simply did not have the best tools to work with ....through no fault of his own.