FF having issues? 9/12

Erik

was checking out threads on FF and it froze up - is the issue with my connection, or the server?

Keltin

I'm getting the router management interface as well. It's happening to both FF and NCT.

mbscw6.jpg

Brutus

I'm not getting even that much. Just a blank page. NCT does the same thing. They're on the same server. NTT is on a different one, I believe. Is Net Music Talk on the same server as NTT??

chowhound

So does anyone know what the problem is yet? Doc hasn't even said/posted anything like he usually does...
I use other VB boards that never go down. What actually does cause a forum to crash? It can't be too much traffic...

chowhound

Ahhh, thanks, TC.
So no matter what forum software you are using, you are dependant on your ISP like us common folk... I guess I thought forum owners were immune (lol).
Still, it's weird Doc hasn't checked in.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I think he is out on the water this weekend. But I did leave him a message. If the ISP is down, not much he can do.

Keltin

His ISP is more than down, it is utterly screwed. When I try to get to NCT or FF, I’m actually getting the WEB Administration GUI of the Cisco router. That is, the ISP is serving us the Administration interface of a router and not connecting us to the Forum Server. You’re only supposed to be able to access that Administration interface via a special address, or SSH tunnel (or local Craft interface). But it appears that router is running some kind of 3rd Party GUI called DD-WRT.

It looks like the router has gone belly up and is in some kind of weird diag/failure mode. Instead of parsing and passing HTTP requests, the router is taking them all in as Administrative commands. We’re basically pointed at and talking to the router.

I’ve tried all the default Cisco Username/Passwords I know, and can’t get in. Too bad it’s not an Adtran switch/router – I now the backdoor Tech Support login for that! :yum:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure Doc is freaking right about now. But, it's still out of his control.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
His ISP is more than down, it is utterly screwed. When I try to get to NCT or FF, I’m actually getting the WEB Administration GUI of the Cisco router. That is, the ISP is serving us the Administration interface of a router and not connecting us to the Forum Server. You’re only supposed to be able to access that Administration interface via a special address, or SSH tunnel (or local Craft interface). But it appears that router is running some kind of 3rd Party GUI called DD-WRT.

It looks like the router has gone belly up and is in some kind of weird diag/failure mode. Instead of parsing and passing HTTP requests, the router is taking them all in as Administrative commands. We’re basically pointed at and talking to the router.

I’ve tried all the default Cisco Username/Passwords I know, and can’t get in. Too bad it’s not an Adtran switch/router – I now the backdoor Tech Support login for that! :yum:
A Google search on 66.76.169.0, the ISP that this router presumably talks to, shows the ISP is Suddenlink in Vienna WV. I think this is just across the river from Doc.

That DD-WRT System Info page we see, shows an inexpensive consumer router: "Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS". Not quite a Cisco! Could Doc be running this circus off a table in his bedroom? Keltin, got any Linksys magic in your kit? :D And the SSID (system name) to enter the router on its wireless port is shown on that System info screen. (At least wireless access is off at the moment). I wonder if that is also the admin name to get into the router? If that won't work - what's the name of Doc's boat? :eek:

Hey Doc! There's a web party going on in your router! :yum: :hide: I especially like all those new pretty pictures! I didn't know they made em *that* big!

Keltin

A Google search on 66.76.169.0, the ISP that this router presumably talks to, shows the ISP is Suddenlink in Vienna WV. I think this is just across the river from Doc.

That DD-WRT System Info page we see, shows an inexpensive consumer router: "Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS". Not quite a Cisco! Could Doc be running this circus off a table in his bedroom? Keltin, got any Linksys magic in your kit? :D And the SSID (system name) to enter the router on its wireless port is shown on that System info screen. (At least wireless access is off at the moment). I wonder if that is also the admin name to get into the router? If that won't work - what's the name of Doc's boat? :eek:

Hey Doc! There's a web party going on in your router! :yum: :hide: I especially like all those new pretty pictures! I didn't know they made em *that* big!

Cisco has their hands in the Linksys model. Not sure how deep, but it’s definitely Cisco.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/home

The router gave back a Cisco MAC, and MACs are assigned at manufacturing during ATP just prior to packing, stock, and shipping. So that router was MAC stamped as being Cisco owned. For a company to put a MAC in a device, you have to request a block of numbers for use from IEEE. Those numbers (MACs) become as real as a PCB, Chip, or any other physical item in your inventory. Where I work, our MACs are assigned an inventory part number, there is a real quantity in inventory, a real quantity per BOM, and they get used. So, with that router having a Cisco MAC, it seems Cisco themselves built it…..or somehow authorized it and requested the MACs.

2lcy5j5.jpg

The odd thing is they are using that 3rd Party Management GUI by DD-WRT meaning they had to flash their router to overwrite the OS that shipped with it. It seems many like DD-WRT, but there also appears to be a lot of problems and holes with it as well. Not what I’d pick as my first choice for router management if I were an ISP.

DD-WRT default logins are:

Username:
Password: admin

Where username is left blank.

Or on later S/W, it’s:

Username: root
Password: admin

Neither worked, so whoever installed this one took those out. That’s at least one good thing they did.

You can still Telnet to the box though! :shock:

I can’t believe they didn’t close Port 23!!! I wonder what other ports are still open??? :yum:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yep!

Those Linksys WRT54G wireless routers have been around for a while. A couple of years ago I bought one for a spare out here at the ranch, that I found in a thrift store. Cost maybe $4.99.

But it was flaky; I discovered it went offline and rebooted intermittently after it had been running a few days. Per Google this was a widespread problem back in 2004 - 2007. So common in fact, that Google suggests 'linksys wrt54g intermittent' as a proposed search!

I wonder if that router we see might be Doc's (or the ISP's) problem right there.

chowhound

Those numbers look familiar... I think that's the router I have here at home. Linksys sent me a replacement because my first one had problems. And I just looked and it is stamped Cisco on the bottom.
I ASSumed forums were ran like websites. In other words, You've got you vb program, much like I have my Frontpage to edit and manage things with, but it was hosted by a larger entity, like Web Hero or somebody. So then if your ISP goes down, the site stays up and running. Apparently they aren't?