Big Box stores & mowers

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just heard a horror story. A guy I work with bought a Cub Cadet 4 years ago at Lowes. He's had some carburetor issues with it, and tried the local Cub Cadet dealer who basically didn't want to work on the tractor since they didn't sell it. It wasn't warranty work, they simply did not want to work on it.

So my coworker went to another small engine repair guy close to him. Now the tractor will run on flat ground but as soon as he hits a hill or uneven ground, it starts sputtering and lots of smoke comes out.

I think he is going to let the small engine repair shop look at it again and if that doesn't do it he plans to buy another one .....only it will be John Deere this time, but he still insists on going to a big box store to buy the mower.

Would you buy from a big box store after that kind of experience?

Mith

I dont see the point in buying from a box store. A dealer of that brand will sell you the same machine for the same price, and offer better service.

Over here you go to a L&G dealer who will give you a choice between several different brands. Or go to a brand dealer. I shouldnt think the 'box stores' sell hardly any tractors.

Why not refer your co-worker to a lawnmower site, might give him an idea of what is wrong.

B

bczoom

I dont see the point in buying from a box store. A dealer of that brand will sell you the same machine for the same price, and offer better service.
Exactly.

Just for the heck of it, have him check his oil level. There's a possibility that fuel is being dumped through the carb and ending up in the oil pan. This happens when the tractor is just sitting. It happened to mine and I had the same symptoms. I just put an in-line valve between the gas tank and carb which I closed when it wasn't running. An easy $5 fix (+ an oil change)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did tell him about our forums, but he is not interested at this time. I also told him he should check out real tractor dealers that the price difference might surprise him. Guess what? He bought a new John Deere lawn tractor over the weekend from a real tractor dealer that will come to his house every year to service the tractor. :thumb: He's very happy, needless to say.

And he found a cub cadet dealer that will take a look at his 4 yr old cub. They have already speculated that it might have been overfilled with oil, as in the guy who worked on it might not have screwed the oil dipstick in when checking but added oil up to the fill line so that he over filled it. He won't know the answer to that for a couple of weeks, as he has to wait for it to be serviced .... but he's in no hurry now that he has a new JD. :D
The cub will be up for sale once he gets it back from repair.