Grapple on the way!

Big Wheels

Just ordered a Markham Welding Grapple Rake as seen on the linked page:
http://www.markhamwelding.com/content/view/13/29/
I must add the they are a dream to work with.

i am sick of moving brush by hand, loading logs to the saw mill skids with chain/bucket, towing stumps with a drawerbar that I figure 700# of steel on site is better than money in the bank!

Pictures to follow! BW

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Big Wheels! That is awesome. One of these years I plan to add a grapple to my arsenal. :D

Erik

congrats!
I keep dreaming, but not this year.
tooth bar isn't out of the question, though...

Big Wheels

Melissa said I should use the 60" on the Kubota MX5100. As stated pictures to follow soon. Of course it might be nice if the was less snow - about 3 feet on the flat! BW

urednecku

If you have any-where near as much brush to move as I do, you won't be sorry about the grapple. Mine was made at a local fabricator, it stays on the M7040 more than the bucket!
Congrats!!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
If you have any-where near as much brush to move as I do, you won't be sorry about the grapple. Mine was made at a local fabricator, it stays on the M7040 more than the bucket!
Congrats!!

I agree with that, only more so. My GL 4740 was delivered with the grapple attached and carrying the bucket. The first thing I did was run the new tractor down to the back 40 and dump the bucket ... never picked it up again. Yup, the grapple has been on the tractor for 15 months. I've dropped it a few times to shorten the machine when working in tight spots but always picked it back up when I was finished. Any bucket work I've needed doing has been done by the little B2400. I'm telling you, you'll love that grapple. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

HCJ

I agree with all of the grapple recommendations. Just put one on my Kubota M6800. Got a custom 48" standard duty (1/2" steel) with tighter spacing (4.5") . Markham made it to these specs. Man, this thing is a brush clearing, tree ripper-upper beast! My favorite tool ever, better than even a cordless drill. I also pick up 1000 lb. rocks like they are pebbles and as easily as reaching out and grabbing them. If you don't have one, you don't know what you are missing! Did you really get the extreme duty (made from 5/8 steel)? That 60" beast is going to be heavy. What is your loader capacity. I think mine is about 2500 lbs. My grapple probably weighs 500 lbs, but have not weighed it. I have grabbed a few rocks that my loader would not lift but they were as big as a stove.

Big Wheels

HCJ, Been in the wood for a few weeks (cutting them down!). The 60" is Std. Duty 1/2" - Markham had some family issues so it shipped late which means that I have not used it yet. Hoping to switch out the QRs this weekend and get it working. It is about 750# but Markham did not want a Light Duty on a 50 HP. The 750 will reduce the lift some but will last longer than the tractor! All I need is foam filled tires and I could get into the demo biz!
The loader is rated for 2300# but I am sure that is with nothing hanging on the arms.
Will add some pics next week of it in action.
BW

HCJ

hey Big Wheels, you will love it. That should be the perfect size. Mine is about the same weight, maybe a little lighter, and will pick up almost anthing. Make sure you are careful with you hydraulic lines. I bought some extra sleeving from a local hydraulic shop and encased my loader lines running to the grapple and tied them up well. In use, limbs are going everywhere and it would be easy to snag a hydraulic hose. There is a lot of movement in the lines, and wear will be an issue. Just yesterday, I had a stick come up from below and it found the only crevice leading to the radiator fan. Whoops, in 2 seconds, no more fan blades. $100 for parts.

urednecku

hey Big Wheels, you will love it. That should be the perfect size. Mine is about the same weight, maybe a little lighter, and will pick up almost anthing. Make sure you are careful with you hydraulic lines. I bought some extra sleeving from a local hydraulic shop and encased my loader lines running to the grapple and tied them up well. In use, limbs are going everywhere and it would be easy to snag a hydraulic hose. There is a lot of movement in the lines, and wear will be an issue. Just yesterday, I had a stick come up from below and it found the only crevice leading to the radiator fan. Whoops, in 2 seconds, no more fan blades. $100 for parts.

How right you are. I have already replaced probably 10 ends in 1 & 1/2 years....finally bought an extra hose so I could keep on working & not have to stop to go to town for another end.

olcowhand

Hoping to build a grapple for my small FEL I use to clean calf stalls. Backing out of stalls, the posts tend to drag bedding off the forks. A grapple would prevent that, plus many other uses.

urednecku

Hoping to build a grapple for my small FEL I use to clean calf stalls. Backing out of stalls, the posts tend to drag bedding off the forks. A grapple would prevent that, plus many other uses.

You will love a grapple. Mine is the double, which I highly recommend. each one will hold at a different level, putting equal pressure on both sides of the load. A small rake it might not make much a difference, but with the trees & large limbs I move, it takes a lot of stress off one side & evens it out.

philiployd

My Kioti DK35SE will be delivered Tuesday and I had them order a 48" LD Markham Grapple and intall. I have about 400 yards of creek to clear and several brush piles along with a few standing dead trees. I can't wait to try it out!

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
My Kioti DK35SE will be delivered Tuesday and I had them order a 48" LD Markham Grapple and intall. I have about 400 yards of creek to clear and several brush piles along with a few standing dead trees. I can't wait to try it out!
Congrats and enjoy that new Kioti

universalgirl

Sorry....Did I seem a little pushy there??? lol Just a little overwhelmed by the ideas, opinions, and communication on this site. I'm new to this site and have really learned a lot so far. It amazes me how well you communicate with eachother trying to find different ways to utilize an attachment so it's just NOT a seasonal thing. It's great. We're building a website now (but I can't list it yet because I'm still new) so hopefully I can be a phone call or message away.